Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

F900BT w/ G35 - Bose amp not working? No to little sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
F900BT w/ G35 - Bose amp not working? No to little sound

Hey Guys

I recently purchased a AVIC-F900BT and installed it into an Infiniti G35 w/ Bose. I used the metra 7551 wiring harness to keep the factory Bose amp. http://www.metraonline.com/products.aspx?s=7551 and the CD-IU230V ipod cable.

Upon wiring everything I tested the radio and it worked, sound is coming from all speakers but very low. When maxing out the volume on the f900bt, it isn't very loud, I cant even hear anything until I raise it to at least 45.

When using the IPOD connection, nothing is heard at all. Where could I have gone wrong? I didn't use the speaker wires, but used the pig tales(to retain the amp). If the amp wasn't powered then I wouldn't be getting anything out of the speakers at all right?

Also, does the f900bt come with a trim plate? The F900BT doesn't properly fit w/ the JDM Double Din kit, there's a bit of a gap.

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Volume

I believe you should have used the Metra 7550 since your preamp voltage is only 2.2. I did alot of research on this low volume topic and the Metra 7551 is better if you are using a HU with 4.0 preamp volts or more.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by USDM_S-Line
I believe you should have used the Metra 7550 since your preamp voltage is only 2.2. I did alot of research on this low volume topic and the Metra 7551 is better if you are using a HU with 4.0 preamp volts or more.
Does the 7550 have the ability to retain the bose amp functionality?

Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It could be the low line voltage causingthe issue, but in comparison, the OEM Bose HU has a low line voltage as well. The Pioneerhas a source level adjustment feature. See if that helps. If not, try using the speaker outputs with a LOC.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:12 PM
so what happened? did you use the 7551 or 7550? i just bought my f90. thanks

Old 11-20-2008, 11:11 PM
I put the f90bt in and it now works flawlessly with the 7551.

Sound is where it should be now

Enjoy the unit. PS: Don't forget to plug in the rca's that come with the ipod cable and to also use the sticky pad that comes with the navigation piece.

I found without it the navigation was slow to respond to my vehicles movement.

Last edited by RiCeBrNr; 11-20-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: edited 7550 to 7551.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 PM
One other thing to note, if you haven't purchased the double din kit, you might want to go for the Metra. Despite the cheepo looking buttons, the avic-f series fits snug in the opening while the JDM leaves a substantial gap that requires custom work to fill.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by RiCeBrNr
I put the f90bt in and it now works flawlessly with the 7551.

Sound is where it should be now

Enjoy the unit. PS: Don't forget to plug in the rca's that come with the ipod cable and to also use the sticky pad that comes with the navigation piece.

I found without it the navigation was slow to respond to my vehicles movement.
hey thanks alot. what sticky pad? i bough it used and i dont think i got it.. =(

Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Its a large square double sided sheet.

One side is sticky the other is magnetic. Its supposed to shield the navigation receiver from interference.

I noticed the poor responsiveness when I had the navigation receiver attached to the metal bracket where the radio bracket bolts onto.

After I moved it ontop of the dash it was fine. Not sure if it was a combination of poor placement and the sticky piece or either.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 AM
question

Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying an AVIC-F90BT unit. Besides the metra 7551 wiring harness and the Double Din convesion kit - is there a list of other things I would need to buy?

It would suck to start installing and then realize your are missing components..

Thanks for help!!

P.S. Did anyone install a back up camera with their AVIC headunit?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Your going to need the antenna adapter as well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040NI...40NI10&tp=2569

Old 12-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks, RiCeBrNr. Have you tried to get the dual climate control working? There are instructions on the internet on how to do that, i was thinking of trying.. Also, as far as connecting the Avic unit to the wiring, is it pretty straight forward? Do I need any special mounting hardware or it's all included..?

Thanks again!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by AlexB
Thanks, RiCeBrNr. Have you tried to get the dual climate control working? There are instructions on the internet on how to do that, i was thinking of trying.. Also, as far as connecting the Avic unit to the wiring, is it pretty straight forward? Do I need any special mounting hardware or it's all included..?

Thanks again!
Electrical Wire AND a soldering iron and solder (optional but gives you a better connection).
Wire Stripper

Wiring is very straight forward especially with the 7551 (less wires). There are alot of ground wires(4-5) between the stereo, amp and the bypass (optional). I found the easiest way to bundle these wires together was with a spiral connector, like the ones you find behind a light switch.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:15 PM
What's the Bypass you mentioned...? Also, do i need to get a separate ipod cable, or it comes with AVIC F90BT?

Also, overall are you satisfied with the unit? Is it worth the investment? I don't have a stock navi, just the the bose..

Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by AlexB
What's the Bypass you mentioned...? Also, do i need to get a separate ipod cable, or it comes with AVIC F90BT?

Also, overall are you satisfied with the unit? Is it worth the investment? I don't have a stock navi, just the the bose..
The 90bt comes with the ipod cable.

I'm pretty satisfied with my unit except for the ipod functionality, it may just be my ipod but alot of the time when I choose next track it doesn't change until 10 seconds later. My ipod has been flakey in general so that could be the cause of the problem.

As for the bypass, see this thread http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19689 The bypass allows you to watch videos or type in addresses while the vehicle is in motion. Alternatively you can do a software bypass (see the forum).

All in all its a great stereo and well worth the money especially if you dont have a nav unit. There are already several mods available for the unit at avic411.com, browse around, theres a wealth of information.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F900BT w/ G35 - Bose amp not working? No to little sound