Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with amp tuning...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question need help with amp tuning...

so i recently installed my sound system and i need some suggestions on how i should tune my amps, specifically for my sub. im sure many of you guys have a similar setup as follows:

10w6v2 in ported box
jl 500/1
alpine type-r 6.5 components
alpine type-r 6.5 coaxial
alpine type-r 6x9
jl 300/4

i need help with the tuning the 500/1 most, i.e. what the "Q", gain, and freq settings should be so that i can get optimum performace without blowing my speaker. any info would be appreciated. thanks!

Old 11-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Do you know what frequency the ported enclosure was designed for? Tuning the system around that frequency will yield the best result.

Also, you'll want to make use of the Infrasonic Filter on the 500/1 amp. I've heard of speakers being damaged when trying to produce sub-sonic frequencies in a ported enclosure. I don't know the science of it, but have heard to use the filter.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:14 AM
thanks for the info. i was messing with it yesterday and it sounds great now... but now i notice that the amp for my highs is running a little hot. so im probly gonna have to adjust that now too.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 300/4 they do run hot... please also keep in mind that you should use a volt meter to set your gains go to the JL audio website and there is a tutorial on how to set these amps.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice system!
The first step as already mentioned is to set the gains properly. The method JL describes on their site is a valid one, but with one drawback: The purpose of the input gain on an amplifier is to allow you to compensate for the output gain on your head unit. The JL method assumes an average head unit output level. If that sounds good to you, then by all means go with it. Let me know if you want me to explain the more exact way to do it. It isn't hard, just requires a bit of typing.

As for the subsonic filter, you want to set that below whatever the tuning frequency of your port is. That filter will prevent your sub from bottoming out at frequencies below which the enclosure was designed to resonate. As a guideline I would say set it at about 5-10 Hz below your port tuning frequency.

Good Luck!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by finagle69
Do you know what frequency the ported enclosure was designed for? Tuning the system around that frequency will yield the best result.

Also, you'll want to make use of the Infrasonic Filter on the 500/1 amp. I've heard of speakers being damaged when trying to produce sub-sonic frequencies in a ported enclosure. I don't know the science of it, but have heard to use the filter.
Basically, when you have a ported enclosure and it's tuned to say 32 Hz, if you dont have the subsonic filter (SSF) on, as you said it can damage the sub. What the SSF does is cut the frequencies off at a certain frequency. Some amps give you the option to choose which frequency, others have a built in one, which I don't like, because what if you're enclosure is tuned to 40 Hz and the SSF is 25 Hz? In this case pretty much anything in the upper 20 Hz range and lower will damage the sub, possibly low 30's.

The SSF filter is just that, it's a filter. Like I said it cuts off the frequency. It still plays it, but not at the normal level as the other frequencies. I believe you can set it at a few Hz below the tuning frequency of your box, not quite too sure, but I may be thinking of something else. This is why I love sealed boxes. They are more efficient, not boomy (if it's not in a small enclosure), very smooth rolloff, and you have the ability to play some low frequencies which does some neat things if your sub has a nice low Fs.