Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AMP Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
AMP Question

I did some research and could not find the answer or maybe I didn't know what I was looking for.

anyways, I bought a head unit that only supports 4 x 60 Watt Max High Power Output. Right now, it sounds like crap

My question is, is there a way of using the amp? A guy told me I have to buy an equalizer to get more out, do I need to do this or is there another option.

thanks in advance

Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whomever you spoke to supplied you with erroneous information. If you already have an aftermarket HU installed you don't need an EQ. The first thing I would check is to make sure you have bypassed the BOSE factory amp, because will make your setup sound like a whistle tip muffler no matter what you do. There should be numerous threads on here to explain how to do this. If you've already done that and upgraded your speakers, then I would consider an amp if you still aren't getting the volume out. But simply bypassing the BOSE amp and running HU power should give a vast improvement over the stock sound.
Good luck!

Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyteowl
I did some research and could not find the answer or maybe I didn't know what I was looking for.

anyways, I bought a head unit that only supports 4 x 60 Watt Max High Power Output. Right now, it sounds like crap

My question is, is there a way of using the amp? A guy told me I have to buy an equalizer to get more out, do I need to do this or is there another option.

thanks in advance

first off what kind of radio is it ? model number?
are you using the ipod/cd/tape??

If the signal is bad to begin with then your output wont be any better.

I would add an amp to ANY aftermarket or factory radio. Get A decent name brand amp and you will be golden.

Whats your budget on an amp?