Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help me make my decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me make my decision

Ok, so I've searched and searched, lotsa interesting stuff but I haven't actually seen this question to be asked so.

Situation is, 06 g coupe, no nav, but fully loaded otherwise.

I want to be able to control IPOD from steering wheel, in which case I would either be getting the USA Spec or the Nissan one. Now, thing is, at some point in the not so distant future, I plan on going DD conversion with an Avic Z3. When this happens, and say I already have my car equipped along with either the USA Spec or Nissan ipod controller, will they still work as they did before installing the DD Z3? Or will it lose all functionality in which case I'm basically out $200 because I would then have to hook it up different, to the Z3?

My dilemma is mainly being, I really cant wait to till I get the DD just to be able to use my ipod in the car (and that ****ty radio receiver is out of the question lol), so therefore if I can use the USA Spec or the Nissan connector in the mean while, AND it would still work after the fact, then it is totally worth it. On the other hand, say it does still work but since it is a new HU nothing is going to be displayed on the Z3 screen (which I would prefer) then I would have to swap it out for whatever part I need to make it display on the Z3.

Also, when the time comes that I get the Z3, is it possible that it can be hooked up to the stock bluetooth? (I would imagine it would lose its functionality) Or would I have to buy the separate pioneer bluetooth adapter to work?

Looking to get some advice from people who may have run into similar situations at some point.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35zKP,

I don't think it would be usable afterward. I have the USA SPEC PA11-NIS unit and recently removed it during my install of my Pioneer AVIC-F90 unit.

I no longer use the steering wheel controls now as a lot of the unit is voice activated. About the only thing I no longer have is the volume control on the steering wheel, which IS a bummer. But since my iPod now is attached to the head unit, the PAC interface seems like it wouldn't work. Honestly, I never even looked into it - but now that you mention it, I wonder if it could have somehow worked together - oh well!

That said, my unit is for sale if you are interested. I would be willing to part with it (it is in perfect condition by the way - only in my G for less than a year) for $100 if you paid for shipping.

PM if interested, and hopefully someone will be able to answer more fully whether it could work with your setup in the future.

Cheers,
Kev

Old 12-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Won't work.

Get a used one for now and re-sell when you go with an aftermarket head unit.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm not 100% sure where the USA Spec installs. in other words if it has to go in the trunk like the Nissan unit OR if it can just be plugged and installed anywhere up front, behind the dash like the PAC unit that many use. maybe someone with one can chime in on where they have it located.

don't most DD units these days come with iPod connectivity built in? i've never been in the market for one...so not sure but i just assumed that was a feature that most would have now.

if so, i'd just get the cheapest and easiest to install unit now and sell it later (if your new HU has ipod connection) or just reinstall it (if it doesn't and you need to use it with the new HU) - prob the USA Spec.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by fishhouse
i'm not 100% sure where the USA Spec installs. in other words if it has to go in the trunk like the Nissan unit OR if it can just be plugged and installed anywhere up front, behind the dash like the PAC unit that many use. maybe someone with one can chime in on where they have it located.

don't most DD units these days come with iPod connectivity built in? i've never been in the market for one...so not sure but i just assumed that was a feature that most would have now.

if so, i'd just get the cheapest and easiest to install unit now and sell it later (if your new HU has ipod connection) or just reinstall it (if it doesn't and you need to use it with the new HU) - prob the USA Spec.
USA Spec is plugged into the back of the BOSE Audio system.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^ that's the one i'd do in your situation then.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by fishhouse
Thank you all, your help is greatly appreciated . As for the DD having ipod connectivity, yes the Z3 does have it, but I believe you need a separate unit to allow it to work in addition to the Z3 unit itself (one that Pioneer makes) in which case I would assume that steering wheel controls would not work to control the ipod, even if it is displayed through the Z3 HU? If the steering wheel controls do work though in this situation, then that would be ideal for me and I definitely would just get a USA Spec in the mean time until I get the DD unit. Is there anyone who has a pioneer DD HU in their car and they can use steering wheel to control ipod as well?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:46 PM
steering wheel controls WILL work (probably only track up/down) mode will likely switch sources. but you have to get a steering wheel control interface

Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM
^ Volume control won't work?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:07 PM
volume control will work I was referring to the ipod