Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

OEM Navigation Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cystvairmx
So, getting back to the original question at hand here. does anyone have any kind of guide to removing the navigation/what are all the parts that need to be removed? i want to remove mine as well. thanks.

I would start with the video listed below, it will get you to the point of removing your radio which is basically the same thing your screen is attached to. Removing your dvd-rom is fairly straightforward once you have removed your glove box and what not.

http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gcoupe/p..._procedure.htm

Old 08-06-2010, 10:37 PM
So all that you have to do is remove the screen from above the cd player (replacing with a new pocket) and removing the dvd portion... there is no other module or anything else that goes along with the navigation?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Why would you ever want to remove the OEM Nav, you know how much one of those costs nowadays. I heard the installation is almost impossible but can be done so I'm guessing removing it will be a little complicated also.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:45 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Cystvairmx
So all that you have to do is remove the screen from above the cd player (replacing with a new pocket) and removing the dvd portion... there is no other module or anything else that goes along with the navigation?
There's also the sections of the main wiring harness that goes to them, and a GPS antenna that gets mounted behind the clock area.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I am taking it out and selling it because i never use it ever. plus i am sick of replacing my cd player all the time and or the front panel.. have had to replace both of them twice now... cd error FO is lame. With the navigation still in place it makes installing the aftermarket front bezel a lot harder, so goodbye navigation(selling it) and going to install a new bezel and a standard cd player debating a double din touch screen.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

So long as you get the proper trim kit (for 05-07 coupes and 05-06 sedans - Nissan Part 68260-7W010 - Aluminum Double Din Trim For Vehicles With Factory Navigation), install a DDin with stock radio is easy. Modifying a non-nav trim is possible too.
Not sure if the JDM part is different for 03-04s or not.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:22 PM
ya The cheapest i have been able to find the jdm trim that you need for the nav install is almost 400$ alone.. and you can get the cheaper metra brand one for only 170.. but only works for the non nav.. plus like i posted i never use the navigation and particularly dont like the way the stock nav works.. my navigation on my phone is way better. Thanks for trying to save me some work.. but this way the money that i get from selling the nav will help pay for a better deck/panel/etc.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Well, good luck with the sale and acquisition of a cubby.

If it really is $400 just for the trim, I'm going to have to get really good at modifying them and selling them on the board near cost.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the JDM trim is $200 smh at these new users

Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
I could help you out with the pocket and DD trim if you gimme some parts.

Name:  DSC_0091.jpg
Views: 3021
Size:  35.1 KB

Old 06-04-2011, 03:45 AM
I am also looking to remove the OEM Head unit and complete navigation system from my 2005 G35 coupe. I plan on using the JDM kit, but I would need to find a pocket (Black). Has anybody actually completed the full OEM Navi Removal and replaced with a JDM DD Trim Kit, plus pocket on an '05? The only thing holding me back is that I am busy, and I am having a hard time finding a pocket. I want to get rid of the entire OEM system. I am thinking I may actually remove the speakers and AMP, so I can go with a full aftermarket system. Once I remove the OEM system, I plan on selling the entire setup. Has anybody actually removed the entire Navi and Bose System to replace with OEM? Does anybody have a pocket to sell?

Old 06-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

You'll have to contact local junkyard to find the center pocket, it's not a part that comes up often.

I did a complete cleansing of the factory system but kept the OEM navigation so that I would have it for the maintenance reminders and gas mileage tracking.

The following users liked this post:
steelhead712 (06-22-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You'll have to contact local junkyard to find the center pocket, it's not a part that comes up often.

I did a complete cleansing of the factory system but kept the OEM navigation so that I would have it for the maintenance reminders and gas mileage tracking.
Nice setup. Now that's the setup I want after seein that photo. Great job man. The only JDM DD trim kit I could find in stock is on eBay. They state that it needs to be trimmed about 1/8" to fit OEM navi cars. Did you have to trim yours? Did you do it yourself? I want to do what you did. Were you able to use the OEM gps and satellite radio antennas with your aftermarket setup? Any learnings you can share would be much appreciated. I hate the sound of the OEM Bose, and the OEM navi is lame. I already have a pioneer DD head unit waiting to be installed.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by steelhead712
Nice setup. Now that's the setup I want after seein that photo. Great job man. The only JDM DD trim kit I could find in stock is on eBay. They state that it needs to be trimmed about 1/8" to fit OEM navi cars. Did you have to trim yours? Did you do it yourself? I want to do what you did. Were you able to use the OEM gps and satellite radio antennas with your aftermarket setup? Any learnings you can share would be much appreciated. I hate the sound of the OEM Bose, and the OEM navi is lame. I already have a pioneer DD head unit waiting to be installed.
If you check my sticky'd DDin shopping list at the top of this forum, you can find several other sources for the JDM trim, PM the board sponsors that I have in there, they may beat the eBay price.

I trimmed mine myself. It's not a terribly complicated procedure, and I detailed the process here: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post5858335 - but and it's a service I offer for board members, free of charge, just be sure to include a return shipping label with your package.

I've never had my hands on a system with factory XM/Sirius, but I imagine that the antenna can be re-used, you just have to splice the wires together.

I wouldn't try re-using the factory GPS antenna, as you can easily just put the aftermarket antenna under the dash, since there's no metal above it to block the GPS signal. I put mine on the top bracket of the radio:

The following users liked this post:
steelhead712 (06-22-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 03:00 AM
Angry Pioneer AVIC-x930bt with JDM DD Kit. WTF!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Where did I go wrong? I purchased the JDM DD Kit and a Pioneer AVIC-x930bt to go into my car. I was getting ready to trim my DD kit because I have OEM Navi, and upon testing the fit of the aftermarket head unit, I found that it does NOT fit! I am very disappointed right now. I've spend many hours rewiring the entire sound system for all new aftermarket speakers, amps, and a new head unit, only to find out now that this isn't going to fit. Is the x930bt not a true DD size? Notice the big gap in the picture. I think the JDM DD kit is probably the right size, but the head unit is probably not a true double din size. Does anybody have any info that would help me figure out what to do? I can return the head unit and get something different, but I would first need to figure out if there is a different head unit that would fit properly with this kit. Or is the problem with the actual JDM DD kit? The size of the opening on this kit is 7" wide by just over 4-1/8" high. Is that Pioneer just not a true double din head unit?