Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

JDM Trim Modification For Navigation-Equipped Vehicles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
JDM Trim Modification For Navigation-Equipped Vehicles

If you're considering buying JDM trim to do this, contact Grubb's Infiniti first! The navigation trim that DOESN'T REQUIRE MODIFICATION IS THE SAME PRICE!

I tried a few different ways to do this, and I've finally come across a method that works consistently and with good results. I'm still willing to do it for g35driver members, so long as you take care of shipping both ways and realize that it may take a week or so for it to be done. (Can't beat the price - $0 - though!)

First, mask the face of the trim to protect the finish. Failure to do this will result in ruining the finish on a $150 trim piece for failure to use $0.15 worth of masking tape.

Next, using a fine-toothed hacksaw, remove the top portion just above the plastic lip. The longer the hacksaw the easier and better your results will be. The hacksaw pictured here is barely long enough.

Smooth down any rough spots along the top using a file:

Use a finer file to round the aluminum edge:

Wet-sand to smooth the edge using 1500 - 2000 grit sandpaper:

Here's a very-close up showing the gap. This one had been done very poorly before on my first attempt using a dremel and trying to fold over the metal instead of using a hacksaw, but I was able to save it using this method. Your gap will probably be much smaller if you use a long hacksaw and do it right the first time:

And here's the final result:

Here's some that was done right from the beginning for users of the board here:

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 06-29-2013 at 01:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
dukehotty (09-04-2011), KnowScott (07-05-2011), Osa713 (06-11-2013), PlastiDippinG (12-10-2012)
Old 05-08-2011, 03:48 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
He did this for free for me! Wrathernaut is my hero!

Old 05-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

FullfietFX these aren't pictures from doing yours - doing yours inspired me to try and repair the mediocre results my "rough draft" had, which is when I took these pictures. If you at about 0:39 in the video of me showing the Bose working with the 70-7551 adapter, you can catch glimpses of what it looked like before.

Weeks ago, I hacked up both mine and my wife's OEM trim plates to find a way that gave good results, trying different methods to get a nice result, and your trim was the first to get hacked up with those lessons learned. I learned that having a longer hacksaw blade would have helped in every way - speed, smoothness and gap width.

Next time I do one, I'll be picking up a much longer sawblade so that the edge starts out cleaner before I have to file it, that's the key to keeping the gap as small as possible.

If you look close at the center of mine (pictured above) you'll see some of the deformation from attempting to fold the aluminum over cleanly in the "rough draft". FullvietFX's doesn't have that deformation, as you can see here:

The following 2 users liked this post by Wrathernaut:
jc63 (07-30-2011), KnowScott (07-05-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
This should be stickied.

The following users liked this post:
ThatOneDude (07-03-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Well, it's linked from my sticky, so that's almost as good as being sticky'd itself.

ThatOneDude (07-03-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 AM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting, I never knew the JDM DD trim plates have to be trimmed to fit our cars (or is it just cars with navigation?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by acr
Interesting, I never knew the JDM DD trim plates have to be trimmed to fit our cars (or is it just cars with navigation?
Only the cars with OEM navigation. Which is REALLY weird because I replaced my OEM radio with another OEM radio that was from a car without navigation.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

radios are the same, it's the trim that's different. The real wtf is why infiniti didn't just make the cubby the exact same size as the navigation unit and buttons so they wouldn't need two nearly identical parts. They did it with the 03-04s, why not with the rest?

ThatOneDude (07-03-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Incredibly helpful. Got a great result on my 05 coupe by following this thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by jake.millz32
Incredibly helpful. Got a great result on my 05 coupe by following this thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:17 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Another Happy Customer!

Thanks Wrathernaut~

Old 09-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

You're welcome, although I don't suppose many will be needing this service anymore since Grubbs Infiniti can get the real part that I try and duplicate for the same price as the one I modify.

https://g35driver.com/forums/6092905-post638.html

Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
radios are the same, it's the trim that's different. The real wtf is why infiniti didn't just make the cubby the exact same size as the navigation unit and buttons so they wouldn't need two nearly identical parts. They did it with the 03-04s, why not with the rest?
first of all thank you for this, and all of your numerous posts/threads,you are a true gift to the community my dude.

secondly, i have an 04 6mt with stock nav. i HATE my radio,and my satelite doesnt work,it just flashes the radio id number,i did all the trouble shooting with sirius and they say it must be the radio unit itself because it wont tune to any channel it always flashes to zero when let go.

what will the oem nav voice sound like after double din, or is there no voice at all?

In any case,id like to add a double din,but i hate to think id have to spend 500$+ on hardware (jdm kit,antenna adapter,wire harness adapter,xm radio add ons,etc,etc) Do you have any ideas on other routes? or is it strictly jdm is a must? I only see the jdms for like 350+. A member on the 6mt.net said he "cuts the oem radio out of the oem trim and that the double din fits right in there,that the trim for the double din covers any cut marks,and then all you need is the wire adapters. obviously that sounds crazy, however he told me to get dimensions of the double din,and measure them on the oem radi trim,and honestly it really does look like it will fit perfectly.I know this sounds beyond dumb, but if im going to buy a double din and throw out my old oem radio/trim anyway,do you think it would be worth me giving it a shot? if it works it could end up saving people hundreds of dollars?

by all means if this sounds as crazy as i thought it did,let me know :-)

thanks in advance for ur help as awlays!

Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by PlastiDippinG
first of all thank you for this, and all of your numerous posts/threads,you are a true gift to the community my dude.

secondly, i have an 04 6mt with stock nav. i HATE my radio,and my satelite doesnt work,it just flashes the radio id number,i did all the trouble shooting with sirius and they say it must be the radio unit itself because it wont tune to any channel it always flashes to zero when let go.

what will the oem nav voice sound like after double din, or is there no voice at all?

In any case,id like to add a double din,but i hate to think id have to spend 500$+ on hardware (jdm kit,antenna adapter,wire harness adapter,xm radio add ons,etc,etc) Do you have any ideas on other routes? or is it strictly jdm is a must? I only see the jdms for like 350+. A member on the 6mt.net said he "cuts the oem radio out of the oem trim and that the double din fits right in there,that the trim for the double din covers any cut marks,and then all you need is the wire adapters. obviously that sounds crazy, however he told me to get dimensions of the double din,and measure them on the oem radi trim,and honestly it really does look like it will fit perfectly.I know this sounds beyond dumb, but if im going to buy a double din and throw out my old oem radio/trim anyway,do you think it would be worth me giving it a shot? if it works it could end up saving people hundreds of dollars?

by all means if this sounds as crazy as i thought it did,let me know :-)

thanks in advance for ur help as awlays!
Answered via PM, but for others who come this way and need the answer:

You can cut an opening in the factory trim to fit a new radio, but you still need the JDM a/c controls. One guy's experience doing that is detailed here: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...tock-face.html

Old 04-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about how much needs to be trimmed off for the navi to fit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: JDM Trim Modification For Navigation-Equipped Vehicles