Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DNX 8120 Install with stock bose equipment to 05 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DNX 8120 Install with stock bose equipment to 05 Coupe - HELP needed!

Hi Guys,

I finally collected everything I needed for the install, the HU, back up camera, ipod cable, JDM kit and AC controller.

As I don't have more money, I am going to stick to a self-install and keeping all the rest of the BOSE equipment. I heard some people had worse sound quality after getting rid of the BOSE HU, is that true? I just cannot afford to swap everything now.

Also, I didnt find a DIY with pictures that was aimed at the 05-06 models, only the 03-04 which has a different interior. Is there a DIY that shows the procedure on a 05 or 06 model?

Where did you guys route the cable for the rear cam? I would like to know where to bring the cable in to the trunk from the outside and where to route the cable towards the HU so that its unseen.

Thanks for any help,

Ben

Last edited by bence8810; 12-19-2008 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:03 AM
I went to a store and got some tools, Screw drivers, electrical tape, wire crimper, etc. I just moved to a new country so I have no help and no tools what so every, that is why I want to make sure I have everything once I get started. I wont be able to just call someone to pop over with a few tools I missed, etc.

Things I am worried about is the rear view camera's wire routing, and the HU's install. The dash I am confident with, but I dont know how to connect all the wires in the back. I have the wire harness for the car, but on the HU I only saw 4 speaker inputs, whereas the car has 6 or 8. Will I be able to plug them all in?

Sorry for the many noob questions,

Thanks,

Ben

Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Bence i think there is a thread in this very forum floating around that will give you what you need. I am saving to get this unit myself! GL!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by OBG3506
Bence i think there is a thread in this very forum floating around that will give you what you need. I am saving to get this unit myself! GL!
Hi,

Thanks for the heads up, I could not find any thread with this info. Would you mind posting the link to it if you can still find it?

I went to a local audio shop today, as I got worried with the wiring once I take the HU out. The wire harness I got has regular wires (single one line wire), and the HU has RCA outputs for the speakers. Also, my HU has only 4 speaker outputs but my system has 6 speakers. How can I connect the 6 speakers to the 4 speakers?

Anyhow, the local shop said I might need this. They charge about 70 USD for it, so i would only buy it if I really need it.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=753

Please enlighten me as I found no helping post on the internet. Can I use my original 6 speakers with this new HU?

And anyways, does my system come with an amp? If so, what do I do with it, just remove it from the loop or I can keep using it?

Thanks

Ben

Old 12-20-2008, 03:36 PM
wiring:
I've posted on this a number of times... if you purchase the wiring harness, (7550 or 7551) (both metra and best kits part numbers) as long as you connect the blue wire from the wiring best kits/metra harness to the blue/white OR red wire that will turn on your amp. some people have had some loudness issues with the 7551 (rca speaker wires) by comparison with the 7550, it's an impedance issue, I believe the 8120 has up to 5volt preouts so you'll be fine regardless.
And to answer your question you CAN use your factory speakers WITH your factory amp. I didn't see this post before otherwise I would have replied earlier

Old 12-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by TroysG
wiring:
I've posted on this a number of times... if you purchase the wiring harness, (7550 or 7551) (both metra and best kits part numbers) as long as you connect the blue wire from the wiring best kits/metra harness to the blue/white OR red wire that will turn on your amp. some people have had some loudness issues with the 7551 (rca speaker wires) by comparison with the 7550, it's an impedance issue, I believe the 8120 has up to 5volt preouts so you'll be fine regardless.
And to answer your question you CAN use your factory speakers WITH your factory amp. I didn't see this post before otherwise I would have replied earlier
Hi,

thank you so much for your post, it made my morning

Just to be sure, I took a snapshot of the speaker wires I have now, both coming out of the DNX8120 and the harness for the car.

You can see that the harness I have is not the RCA version, but rather the regular "cable" version. How do I go about connecting it to the RCA harness that is coming out of the 8120? Since botht he Metra harness and the 8120's harness only have 4 speaker inputs/outputs, will that sound all 6 speakers up? I am sure I am being silly here with the question, but I have no idea how these things work.

as long as you connect the blue wire from the wiring best kits/metra harness to the blue/white OR red wire that will turn on your amp

The blue wire from my kit says "Power Antenna" and the blue-white on the 8120's harness says "P. Cont". Are these the wires we are talking about? I heard that the power antenna needs to be connected to power otherwise the radio reception will be bad. Are these two things require the same two cables to be connected, or its something else? I can see an "Ant. Cont." cable on the 8120s harness. What would that be for?

Oh and very important, the audio shop is holding 1 unit for me today, which I posted above, will I be needing that? Its about 70USD, so I would only buy it if needed.

Thanks for all your help,

Ben

Last edited by bence8810; 12-20-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:57 PM
there's another harness with the kenwood. it's similiar to the 7550.
go colour for colour, EXCEPT the power ant(blue) and the blue/white... the power ant, is also the amp turn on wire in the case of our cars. and once you turn on the amp all the speakers will work. because it's the amp that distributes the audio from the deck

Old 12-20-2008, 11:10 PM
there's another harness with the kenwood. it's similiar to the 7550.
go colour for colour, EXCEPT the power ant(blue) and the blue/white... the power ant, is also the amp turn on wire in the case of our cars. and once you turn on the amp all the speakers will work. because it's the amp that distributes the audio from the deck
Is this the other harness you are talking about?

So at the end of the day, what do I need to do with the speaker wires? Not connect them at all?
Thanks,

Ben

Old 12-21-2008, 12:31 PM
white, white/black,
grey, grey/black
green, green/black
purple, purple/black
you must connect each of these colours from the aftermarket harness TO the 7550 harness. go to the EXACT same coloured wires.
Yellow, red, black same (but I'd recommend making another ground - black - somewhere in behind the radio)
and connect the blue (power ant from 7550) to p cont (kenwood)

Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 PM
white, white/black,
grey, grey/black
green, green/black
purple, purple/black
you must connect each of these colours from the aftermarket harness TO the 7550 harness. go to the EXACT same coloured wires.
Yellow, red, black same (but I'd recommend making another ground - black - somewhere in behind the radio)
and connect the blue (power ant from 7550) to p cont (kenwood)
Thanks so take the 7550 and connect them color-matching to the Kenwood's harness.

What do I do with the speaker wires? Just ignore them? In that case, I guess I dont even need to connect them to the back of the kenwood, just leave them out in the box?

Thanks, the install will take place just over christmas,

Ben

Old 12-21-2008, 01:55 PM
white, white/black,
grey, grey/black
green, green/black
purple, purple/black
you must connect each of these colours from the aftermarket harness TO the 7550 harness.
(kenwood)
those colours ARE your speaker wires. they take the audio signal FROM the deck TO the amp. the amp takes the signal and sends it to the speakers. the RCAs you took the picture of initially are for when you add aftermarket amps.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:04 PM
those colours ARE your speaker wires. they take the audio signal FROM the deck TO the amp. the amp takes the signal and sends it to the speakers. the RCAs you took the picture of initially are for when you add aftermarket amps.
I really must be a moron, got you now finally. Sorry for the post polluting.

The kenwood's harness has Illumni, Ant Cont, Remote Cont, Mute... I guess these are to be ignored? Would be nice to connect the illuminate cable to the dimmer switch, is that possible? I guess that is what illumni stands for.

I will save the RCA cables for later then.

Would it make sense to buy that hardware I posted few posts above and connect between the kenwood and 7550 or useless?

Do you have a rear cam? If so, where would you suggest me routing the cable?

Thanks again for the tremendous help,

Ben

Old 12-21-2008, 04:49 PM
illumination should be connected if you want the screen to dim when you turn on your headlights. there's a corresponding wire it's either orange or orange white I can't remember.

as for routing. it's going to be a bit of a pain but the worst part is going to be getting through the bumper without drilling. depending on how much length you have to work with just route it around the driver's side of the car. in behind panels etc etc. I personally don't have a backup cam. so exactly how to do that to me would be a case by case basis. best to figure out where you want to mount the cam and see if you've got enough length. if not I can help you extend it just drop me a pm and I'll walk you through that.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:08 PM
illumination should be connected if you want the screen to dim when you turn on your headlights. there's a corresponding wire it's either orange or orange white I can't remember.

as for routing. it's going to be a bit of a pain but the worst part is going to be getting through the bumper without drilling. depending on how much length you have to work with just route it around the driver's side of the car. in behind panels etc etc. I personally don't have a backup cam. so exactly how to do that to me would be a case by case basis. best to figure out where you want to mount the cam and see if you've got enough length. if not I can help you extend it just drop me a pm and I'll walk you through that.
Thanks a lot Troy, you helped a lot. I will try to look for other posts in regards with the camera wire routing.

From your post I am guessing that I dont need the Line Output Converter anymore, right?

Thanks,

Ben

Old 12-21-2008, 11:32 PM
nope not if you want to add an aftermarket amp.
all you have to do is run RCAs from the rca output (your first pic) to the aftermarket amp to get signal there. but there's a few more steps. lemme know if you're going that route I'll explain a couple different ways to do that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DNX 8120 Install with stock bose equipment to 05 Coupe