Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

The archos 5 250gb install! and my first attempt at audio glory LOL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The archos 5 250gb install! and my first attempt at audio glory LOL

so recently i opted rather than to go with spending 1000$ on a complete DD setup with an in dash i would rather do somethign a lil different and portable. In came the archos 5 media tablet! and this thing is plain bad ***!!! it embarasses even the best DD setup in terms of what it has to offer! i had recently bought an archos 705 and was using it with a pedestal stand setup in my G but wanted somethign a lil smaller and sleeker that i could custom mount and make it look factory! when i bought the 5 i was sure it would be perfect and was it ever! currently here is how the setup is run.

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...try=ru&lang=en

The tablet is mounted to a docking station with S video out and USB 2.0 input as well as a charger,in the glove box is a 320gb LaCie external drive jammed with around 150 movies, the archos is filled with about 120 gigs of music that a frined of mine who djs and promotes at clubs here in town filled for me. the library is infinite and absolutely ridiculous and spans everythng from old skool hiphop, 90's dance, new age house, rock rap etc etc etc!. The docking station is mounted on the underside of the lid below the clock where the OEM nav setup is in a nav equipped G. i mounted the dock at an angle that would let the tablet sit in the cutout in the lid at the same viewing angle as the centerconsole/radio.Its mounted using a base i built from a moldable plastic sheet that i heated and bent to the proper angle and epoxied onto the underside, after that was done i just used a 3m double sided tape to mount the dock so that if need be it could be removed with a lil fannaggling lol. This lets the tablet look like an OEM piece and yet it can simply be removed and taken inside at night to transfer files etc or just for plain old safe keeping!. i am running 2 JVC 6.5" high res monitors in the headrests of the car that are all wired thru the s-video out. the audio is currently wired thru teh tape deck adapter (gasp!!! i know its caveman stuff but im still trying to decide on aftermarket DD ,wired into an antenna splitter setup similar to the universal car setups you can buy at best buy for an mp3 player other than IPOD's or a PAC-AAI NIS2. at a later date i would like to go to a DD setup with a slick not so busy looking DD deck capable of doing Bluetooth etc as well as having input audio jacks for the archos but for now!!!! the antenna splitter setup will have to do (hopefully ill do the DD setup in teh spring/summer when its warmer out LOL). the audio setup will be clean and not too busy! it utilizes all Infinity kappa components with 6.5 seperates up front and 6.5 co-ax in the rear doors (i havent decided at this point whether to power them externally via an amp or just to rely on head unit power output). the subwoofers are going in in teh spring and will be 2 infinity self powered 10" units mounted to the trunkfloor on either side of teh center passthru! i built a simple wall and put a large bandpass vent in the center to give the appearance of the subwoofers not even being there and the back wall just being a few inches closer (the vent actually in only to make the pass thur look stock and in way way does anything for the subwoofers lol). although the whole setup is pretty simple im pretty stoked with the way that its coming together now! the relly wild thing in teh whole setup tho is still the archos! this thing dubs as a meida tablet, can be used to surf teh web. check email, has built in GPS, displays pics, plays movies in HD format (you have to see the clarity to believe it) and just generally blows me away more and moe every day! the final thing i am looking into doing is intergrating my Crackberry somewhere in the mix once i get a new DD deck....

oh.....

and figuring out what they heck im gonna do for an ancore when i sell my car next fall or winter for a g37 sedan (im dreading that install lol)

pics of the initial steps in the archos install are to follow, theyre on my cam that is enjoying a trip to the dominican without yours truly lol...and to those wondering why im postign this on christmas day when i should be with my family...im working a 16 hour ratoation shift with immigration (funny thing these illegal immigrants and felons are, apparently they dont care that its christmas day )

Last edited by STLTHSDN; 12-30-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Pics??????

Old 01-06-2009, 05:02 PM
i have an archos and though of placing it somehere .. i will love to see you setup..

post some pics

Old 01-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 PM
k ill have em up by friday guys! ill be installing the 6.5" JVC headrest monitors this wknd as well and picked up a DD piano black pioneer FH-P8000BT unit (no fancy dvd screen) but this thing is sexy as it gets! Gotta order the jdm console kit and send it out along with the cubby lid and shifter/centerconsole to have painted gloss black as well as with my interior woodgrain handle accents and shifter

Last edited by STLTHSDN; 01-07-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
gonna need some pics....as always

Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
still waiting on the pics

i have 2 9inch monitor headrest that i want to setup with my archos. how did you wire the monitor in the seat. there is no opening in the iron support inside the seat did u drill a hole in it?

anyways post the pic

Old 01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by playboyHD
still waiting on the pics

i have 2 9inch monitor headrest that i want to setup with my archos. how did you wire the monitor in the seat. there is no opening in the iron support inside the seat did u drill a hole in it?

anyways post the pic
No i simply ran it down the side of it as i never have my headrests up anyway> its a PITA though i know!

im working on pics! i dont have access to media sharing sites here at work (gov) so i gotta do it from the GF's since my comp bought the farm 2 weeks ago

Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 PM
..... I WIN .....

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Bump Because...

Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics stat!