Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

USA Spec Vs. Perpherial Elect. PXAMG-A

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info kacatoo...I just got my PXAMG-A in the other day and am about to install it. Hopefully all goes well.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those who may want to know later, here's what Isimple sent me as a response to my PXAMG-A vs PSAMG question.

"The hardware version on that module must be a 3 (PXxxxx.3x). This is a physical hardware difference in the modules. If yours is currently a 1 or 2 then it will not work. If yours is currently a 3 you will need to update it via the web to the .36a firmware."

Which follows what Kacatoo said earlier in his question to tech support.

Oh, and I found this on youtube:

Last edited by wompem; 02-27-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Any update on the PXAMG? I really want to pull the trigger on an iphone 3g connection kit for my 05 sedan but still unsure which to get. Are there any cons with the PXAMG?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
my usa-spec and proclip are on their way for my iphone 3g, cant wait!

for me it came down to being able to control things with my iphone plugged in. plus i dont really care about the names scrolling on the headunit, mostly because i basically have an hd screen on my iphone!

Last edited by MikeGrote; 03-05-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:09 PM
The PXAMG is great. No real problems with it and the customer service is pretty good. The only annoyances that Ive found so far are...cant display artist and track when playing(our hu doesnt scroll anyways), to change tracks on the steering wheel you have to hold down for like 2 seconds, you cant scroll backwards through the browse function(you can go backwards but only back to the beginning, so getting to Z takes forever long), to switch inputs on the unit you have to press RADIO and cycle all the way around(go through all the radio sets, SAT/AM/FM1/FM2) before being able to scroll through selections.

The issues I have are extremely minor, just things that I wish they did differently. Who knows, maybe they will fix some of them in a later firmware update. BTW, if you are so inclined to, you can set your ipod to Aux1 so you can control through your ipod instead of the hu. Im pretty sure when i first hooked it up I was able to control through both, but after trying to fix issues with it, I was no longer able to control through the hu and only the ipod. Putting it in this mode will also not show artist/track info.

As a side note, I found a perfect place to place the actual unit. Im not sure if this will apply to everyone, but under the dash on the passenger side of my 07 coupe, there is a plastic cover that hides everything under the dash. You can pop this cover open by jsut pulling it down. There was a good amount of room for me to put the unit and extra cable in there. You can route your cables where ever you need from there and everything is out of the way, but easy to access if needed for firmware updates or to gain access to the rca aux jacks. If you need pics let me know. Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
What would be the next step after getting a PXAMG to add handsfree talking ability? As mentioned above would a Parrot solution be the smartest?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Matthaios
As a side note, I found a perfect place to place the actual unit. Im not sure if this will apply to everyone, but under the dash on the passenger side of my 07 coupe, there is a plastic cover that hides everything under the dash. You can pop this cover open by jsut pulling it down. There was a good amount of room for me to put the unit and extra cable in there. You can route your cables where ever you need from there and everything is out of the way, but easy to access if needed for firmware updates or to gain access to the rca aux jacks. If you need pics let me know. Hope this helps.
I have the harness on its way. (Don't think it'll show up for me to intall this weekend. ) I'd love to see any pictures you might have of the install. I think I know where you're talking about, but I never looked in there for how much room there was when I was changing the in-cabin filter.

By the way, do you know if you have to have it set to listening to the pxamg in order for it to charge an iphone? Or is just having the radio on enough for it to charge?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Wooo Hoo, harness arrived today. So it looks like it will go in this weekend

Anyone know what the dip switch settings should be?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 PM
turn 2 on. Make sure to update the firmware. There is a specific one for our car. I forgot to take a picture of the location where I installed the unit. Ill try to do it tomorrow morning and post it if I have time, but I think you know where I am talking about. For me there was just enough space to put it closest to the center console and the cord reaches perfectly.

Also, I wired my ipod and aux cord in to the cubby above the hu. My XM radio unit is in there too, so it was the perfect spot for me, but there are plenty of spots to put it. I was able to put it in the cubby without modification. There is a little gap on the side where the door opens. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 AM
I got my PXAMG installed this weekend. I decided to have Best Buy do it. They took about 2 hours (from drop off to pickup). And charged about $75. I had them install the cables coming out of the bottom back of the center console tray. I had them run both the Ipod and the 3.5mm. Ipod mode is for the Ipod (obviously), Aux1 is Ipod in aux mode, Aux2 is the 3.5mm jack.

I bought the PXAMG for use with my Iphone 3G, so here are some observations on it:

My factory NAV and Bluetooth seem to work just fine in both Aux1 and Ipod mode. (I didn't really mess much with the 3.5mm jack other than make sure sound came out it. I don't really plan on using it much with my Iphone.) I made sure I could both receive and send calls when using the Ipod in Aux1 and Ipod mode.

Volume seems to be a bit lower out of the PXAMG than like the radio. I had the radio at about 17 (windows down and doing 80mph), but had to have the Ipod at about 25. I'm going to see there is some Iphone setting I can make to solve this.

The charger cable charges my Iphone even when the car is turned off. I have the 5v charge cable to be able to charge the Iphone 3g (and current Ipods that use USB charging). So I don't know if the normal cable does this or not.

In Aux1 mode, you don't get RDS text. But since our HU doesn't scroll, I don't really see it being that big a problem. In Aux mode, you get to control the Ipod from the Ipod controls. But the steering wheel can still be used to skip fwd and back on the tracks. As someone mentioned, you have to hold the steering wheel toggle for about 2 seconds for it to change tracks.

In Ipod mode, you get a warning from the Iphone saying something like "this accessory isn't made for the Iphone. Recommend using airplane mode to reduce the chance of interference." (or something like that) Since using airplane mode would render my phone useless, I say no (or if you wait, it will time out to default no). So far no issues.

In Ipod mode, you also get a grayed out screen that says accessory connected. You can't use the phone controls. Everything for the music must be controlled from the HU. I find those controls sort of odd for the PXAMG, but that might get better after I get familiar with it over time. Problem is, you can't use any of the other features of the Iphone such as contacts (for those not programmed into my G35), calendar, google maps, and checking email. I don't normally do this stuff when on the move, but sometimes I do plus I do it before I drive away or after I arrive somewhere, not to mention drive thrus or stop lights.

Follow up edit:

In Ipod mode, you can get into the other phone features by hitting the home button.

Also, if you dissable sound check in the ipod settings, the volume is much higher. Pretty close to the radio levels actually.

I still have issues with the HU controls. I find it much easier to control the ipod (via Aux mode) and use the HU to skip fwd/back. (But that might just be me.)

Last edited by wompem; 03-09-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: correct info.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Correction, you CAN do other tasks on the iPhone when in iPod mode if you hit the home button. (actually posting from it at the moment while it is playing!)

Old 03-10-2009, 03:58 AM
Hey wompem how's everything so far? You happy w/ your install and its operation or would you go a different route? And where are you located?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm in Huntsville Alabama. But yes, I'm overall really happy with it all. The unit, from what I was looking at online, ran about $130-$140 including the Infiniti harness. I bought the PXAMG at the Circuit City going out of business sale for $60. It was actually a Ford kit with the harness for the mustang and such. I bought the harness for the G35 for $20. So I paid about $80 for everything. Then I had to get the 5V cable for the Iphone 3G so it would charge. That was another $25 (but I would have to have bought that anyways). So instead of $175, it all cost me $105.

I was a little apprehensive about taking apart my dash. I don't mind taking off nuts and bolts, but interior panels always make me worry that I'm going to break a clip or something from pulling something wrong/too hard. Since I had budgetted enough and saved on buying the unit, I decided to have Best Buy do it. It took them much less time than I would have and its basically set up just like I wanted.

The sound is comparable to the CD. Now that I found the soundcheck option, the volume is about the same. I still find it easier to do the Aux controls from the Iphone than the HU controls. Either way you're looking away from the road if you're doing something, but its easier to move faster through the Ipod controls through lists.

But the best thing is that now my bluetooth doesn't kill my phone battery and I can be

Old 03-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I live in AL also. I purchased this iSimple kit from (icarkits.com) and they claimed it had everything I needed to install in my G35 (with bose), and I take it to best buy yesterday - - after 2 hours, they tell me I dont have the necessary firmware update...I'm like "how in the f**k can YOU not update it for me?? You guys sell this sh*t". I'm pissed off...They said something about having to call Peripheral for customer service on Monday. Something about the driver wouldn't install on their computer...It's gay as hell.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I updated it myself before I took it to Best Buy. You download from the peripheral website. Actually takes longer to download than it does to update. Here's the website: http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/index.htm

Select with OS your computer has. There's a link on that page for the Infiniti update. Then download/unzip and follow the rest of the instructions. Pretty quick and painless. It used the same cable as my digital camera and one of our cell phones.

But you're right, they sell them. You'd think they'd be able to update them. I didn't take the chance. Shoot, I even had the dip switches set before I showed up and printed out a set of the G35 instructions for them. Just in case...

Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: USA Spec Vs. Perpherial Elect. PXAMG-A