Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

iPod Mount Options with PA11-NIS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool iPod Mount Options with PA11-NIS

I've had the PA11-NIS installed in my 2006 Coupe for about a year. So far, I'm very happy with the performance. I have the cable from the interface unit coming up through the compartment above the radio unit (I do not have NAV), and that is where I stow and connect the iPod.

I would like to mount the iPod in that compartment so that I can see the iPod display while driving and be able to close the compartment cover when the iPod is disconnected. I've tried connecting the cable to the back of an iPod dock, and then placed the iPod in the dock (with the plan to mount the dock so it's elevated inside the compartment). It appears that the iPod charges, but CD Eject is displayed on the Radio display and nothing plays over the Radio. Yes, the dip switch on the PA11-NIS is in the correct position because the iPod plays over the Radio (with track # displayed on Radio display) when directly connected to the cable.

Does anyone know if the PA11-NIS is compatible with an iPod dock? I have a 4G iPod (so it's the dock which was released with that model in 2003). Is there a diagram out there showing the pin-out wiring from the dock?

DOMO

Last edited by hangman; 01-15-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:27 PM
http://www.2point5.com/

puts it in the ashtray, but I love mine. Kinda sad that I might have to get rid of it if I get a DD

Old 01-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ That looks cool!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yea the Spec.dock mounts are sick...would love to get one myself. just not sure if it's worth the $150 for just the dock.

very interesting find you have here!

i just tested my PAC with my dock from around 2005 - same deal. charges but no audio. its not make a connection like it needs.

i'll bet if you tried the current Dock that Apple sells it would work fine.

there are guys here that have made homemade Spec.Docks with a normal iPod dock and a PAC - so i'm sure it can work. i'm thinking its just the right combination of specific iPod/iPhone and Dock.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I agree, the Spec.dock is pretty cool. However, maybe not worth the price.

I had figured attaching to an Apple dock would be the easiest if it works. The white piece that they use in the Spec.dock resembles the attachment that comes with the Apple docks (which enables you to dock smaller iPods).

Fishhouse, do you have the PAC AAI-NIS or USA Spec PA11-NIS? I know the guy that made the DIY on his install (http://g35ipod.com/home.php?skin=1) used the PAC interface module with the multi colored connection cables as well as an additional power source (Belkin Auto Charger), to connect up to an old Apple dock.

With my USA Spec interface module, there is only one cable which transmits all the data as well as provides power to the iPod. You are probably right about the old dock not making the connection like it needs. Tried searching for the pin-out configurations on the internet but it appears as if Apple prevented the release of such info.

Guess I'll need to get a hold of a newer Apple dock, and see if that works.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 AM
yea i have a PAC.

this is the same symptoms i had when i first had a PAC cable (RCA to Dock) that was not compatiable with my iPhone - it would charge but no audio. as soon as i got the newer cable (apparently Apple changed some internal pin configuration) everything worked fine. i bet our old Docks are essientially doing the same - the audio just isn't getting through due to the mis-connection.

i've seen that DIY you linked to. two guys in this thread have done it with an Apple Dock - so i know its possible.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback. BTW, kudos to the mods and your DIYs on your website.

I'm gonna see if I can borrow a newer Apple dock from someone to try it out. If not, I'll have to buy one.

Since I don't have navigation, I want to take advantage of that empty compartment above the Radio head unit. Worse comes to worse, I'll go with the ashtray method.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:42 PM
thanks man!

yea let me know how a new dock works if you try it.

i thought about doing a homemade spec.dock myself for the ash tray but wasn't going to use actual dock - instead just one of the little dock inserts that Apple makes so the docks convert to work with all different iPods/iPhones and then just cable from the PAC/USA Spec somehow firmly mounted to it - would have to fabricate something.

i also came across someone who mounted their iPod in the Nav compartment like you want but they did it horizontal - so that the lid would close while the iPod was in place. looked pretty cool. and with the "cover flow" deal that the newer iPods have, it worked great too.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:31 PM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I use a proclip with a swivel mount.. works great

Old 01-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I think it is a problem that are within the docks..

For instance If I have my ipod dock hooked up to my PC it plays but does not charge... this seems to defeat the purpose- not sure why ipod would make it that way...

Old 01-16-2009, 05:24 PM
<--12 More Years

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I rather use the $150 towards another mod. You can do it yourself for less than $10 if you put the time to it. I did mine when I first got my car using the iPod dock from apple and the PAC and it came out just fine. Love it

Old 01-17-2009, 12:43 AM
^ yea RedG is one of the guys i was talking about with the homemade ashtray dock deal and PAC.