Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Battery dead after DD install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OurNameIsLegion
Wouldn't putting 12 volts against the ACC input on the deck try to turn the deck on? It wouldn't actually turn on because the constant (what I called keep alive) is what actually feeds it and presumably would be wired to the ACC by mistake...

What about the amplifier turn on lead? could it be that the amp is constantly constantly getting juice on accident?
Ok, i havent measured anything yet, going to do that tomorrow, but the deck is turning off as soon as i take the key out off the ignition, but still the amp could get constant power from one of the cables.

If someone knows where to get a wiring diagram for the car, i would very much like to have a copy

Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amplifier COULD be getting turned on, and that could be the cause.

Here's what DEI says about the wiring
RADIO 12V yellow + radio harness
RADIO GROUND (chassis)
RADIO SWITCH lt. green + radio harness
RADIO ILLUMINATION red/blue + radio harness
FACTORY AMP TURN ON green/yellow to lt. blue + radio harness
POWER ANTENNA green/white or red/white + radio harness
LEFT FRONT SPEAKER wht or blu - blk or blk/wht +,- radio harness Notes: If equipped, the amplifier is in the driver side of the trunk.
RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER grn or brn - red or blk/red +,- radio harness
LEFT REAR SPEAKER brn or lt grn - yel or blk/yel +,- radio harness
RIGHT REAR SPEAKER blu or org - pnk or blk/pnk +,- radio harness

Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Did som measurements today, and found nothing wrong, the yellow cable was connected to the constant +, and the red to the ACC, and the "factory amp turn on cable" has no power when ACC is off.
The only thing i had to do was connect the ground cable to the chassis.
BUT, the black wire from the 7550 harness wich is marked GND, do i have to ground this to the chassis as well?, i had connected the black GND cable from the deck harness to this cable, but that cable has no GND, thats why i wonder if this is to be connected to the chassis.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
you really only need to connect the deck harness to the ground but attaching the 7550 harness to the ground won't negatively affect anything.

check your other wires as well. see if there's any voltage on any of the speaker wires or any other wires (parking brake etc) directly after the deck turns off. That will tell you if there is any current consumption occurring.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I checked the other wires, and i got some power on the speaker wires, but only when the deck was on and playing, there is nothing else that otputs power when the deck is off.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Another thing, the day before i installed the deck, i had my car at the Nissan garage, and they went trough the programming/setup with their computer wich are connected to the plug under the steering wheel, and they accidently reprogrammed the cars setup, so now there are some things that doesent work anymore, like the remote for the trunk, and the automatic "lights on" function, and mabe also other things, is there any chance that this can cause my problem?

Last edited by Heinz; 02-10-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Doubtful, but like someone suggested earlier: A sure way to check is to measure current off of the battery while the car is off. If it's more than about 2 amps (which it will probably be, given ur symptoms) then start pulling fuses and rechecking. When you pull a fuse and the current goes away, or goes down to acceptable levels, you have found the circuit which is draining you. Then it's a matter of figuring out exactly WHY that circuit is drawing current.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 PM
What about the Sirius radio, it is disconnected after the deck install, any chance that this is draining?
Where is it located?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 PM
actually I'm willing to bet something got fuct up when they fuct up. it's an odd coincidence.
I'd get them to fix what they did right away. tell them that your battery is getting draining now. because if you have your lights on the "auto" setup the current may be going to that.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:28 PM
sirius is located in the trunk either ontop of the amp or on the passenger side based on what I've seen

Old 02-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by TroysG
actually I'm willing to bet something got fuct up when they fuct up. it's an odd coincidence.
I'd get them to fix what they did right away. tell them that your battery is getting draining now. because if you have your lights on the "auto" setup the current may be going to that.
Probably, but the ACC is off when the battery drains, and of course the lights are off, and the car is parked in my garage, but still??
Of course Nissan will fix the programming, but there are alot of snow here at the moment, so i dont want to drive to the Nissan garage before the snow melts.
I have a multimeter, but it doesent measure ampere, so i have to get one before i start disconnect fuses.

Last edited by Heinz; 02-10-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 PM
not necessarily... do this (it will give you an idea of the drain) turn the car on, let it sit for about 15 mins, so that the battery gets a bit of a charge. turn the car off look at the battery's voltage. watch it for about 5 mins and monitor how long it takes for the battery to draw and how much it draws. if it just keeps on dropping that's when you start pulling fuses.
when you do this pull the interior light fuse first that way the lights won't be causing a draw on the battery while you have the door open and pulling fuses

Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by TroysG
not necessarily... do this (it will give you an idea of the drain) turn the car on, let it sit for about 15 mins, so that the battery gets a bit of a charge. turn the car off look at the battery's voltage. watch it for about 5 mins and monitor how long it takes for the battery to draw and how much it draws. if it just keeps on dropping that's when you start pulling fuses.
when you do this pull the interior light fuse first that way the lights won't be causing a draw on the battery while you have the door open and pulling fuses
Ill try that tomorrow, its to late and to cold here at the moment, 19:30 in the evening, 12 farenheit outside, and 38 farenheit in my garage

Old 02-11-2009, 04:29 AM
Did some testing today, first hoocked up the amp meter, and the readings are 0,49 amp .
So i started to remove some fuses, and when i remove the radio fuse, the amp drops to 0,19 amp.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Just had a phone to the Nissan garage, and they gave me some info, first lock the car, then hook up the amp meter, then wait for 30 min to let everything go to sleep modus, 0.19 amp was normal until everything goes into sleep modus, after that it should read 0,01 amp.
Waiting for that at the moment, hope something happens.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery dead after DD install