Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Battery dead after DD install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Battery dead after DD install

Did i do anything wrong with my DD install, since my battery has been flat 2 times in one week? still havent driven my car yet tho, just played around with the player for max 10-15 minutes.
My DD is wired up with the 7550 to the original 225w Bose amp.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Most likely you just need a new battery since it is no longer holding the charge like it should.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM
When i installed the DD i did not get any sound from the Bose amp, but found out that i had to go in the menu and set up the player to give power to the amp, but i wonder if this gives power constantly to the amp, even when the player is off.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you have a digital multimeter?
is the deck still on when you turn the car off?
also did you hang out in the car when the car was not started?
battery could have just been drained from hanging out in the car and playing with the deck if the car wasn't started

Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Yes i do have a digital multimeter, but i have to disconnect everything to do it.
the deck is turning off 5 seconds after i take out the key from the inition.
I did hang out in the car for about 10-15 minutes, with the doors open, and the roof lights on, and i did not start the car.
If the battery is dead, and i have to replace it, how many amperes is the stock battery?, the one thats in my car doesent look original, and could be a smaller amp

Last edited by Heinz; 01-21-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM
ok boost the battery so that you can start the car. let it run for about 15-20 minutes
turn the car off and put your meter on voltage, go to the battery and see if it drops significantly

after about 15-20 mins of run time you should have a reading of 12.6 or so.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:12 PM
The battery is boosting right now, so i will do the test tomorrow

Old 02-09-2009, 04:25 AM
Bought new battery two weeks ago, it was then fully charged, the car have not been used since then, today i went out in the garage, and the battery is flat.
Something must be wrong after the DD install, but what?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 AM
try redoing the ground on the back of the deck. - disconnect it from the existing ground in the harness and extend it to a piece of metal attached to the chassis. Use your multimeter to check for the area of least resistance. You'll need a self tapping screw.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Aha, when i think back, the deck did not work before i put in the antennacable, so that could be the answer to my problem, ill make a solid ground tomorrow when my battery is fully charged

Old 02-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Try this. Take an amp reading on the negative side on the battery after you ran it, shut th key off and let it sit for about 10-20 minutes. I don't know how many amps your meter can do so it may blow the fuse. There shouldn't be much at all if normal, an amp maybe 2 I think for these cars. if it's more that means something is on that shouldn't be. Leave it connected and start unplugging fuses one at a time. If the amps don't drop that circuit is fine, put the fuse back in. If you think the radio is the issue, start there.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by TroysG
try redoing the ground on the back of the deck. - disconnect it from the existing ground in the harness and extend it to a piece of metal attached to the chassis. Use your multimeter to check for the area of least resistance. You'll need a self tapping screw.
+1...also one of the wires is the "keep alive", this wire will constantly draw a SMALL amount of current to keep the settings and all that stuff in memory on the unit. The "keep alive" is tied directly to the + terminal on the battery. Make sure you didn't mistakenly wire the ignition or amplifier turn on lead (if you have one) to where this wire ties in. I just did a DD install and mine shuts off right when I turn off the key, so I think you may have swapped the ignition and keep alive. Good luck, let us know if you figure it out

Old 02-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by OurNameIsLegion
I just did a DD install and mine shuts off right when I turn off the key, so I think you may have swapped the ignition and keep alive. Good luck, let us know if you figure it out
Even if he swapped the constant and the accessory it wouldn't drain because the deck wouldn't be on. however he would lose all of his presets, cd place, etc. because he doesn't have the "memory" wire connected.

With the multimeter he should check for ANY voltage on all the wires he connected. see if there's some voltage hopping going on. It's rare but I've seen it on a couple decks - obviously it was a problem from the manufacturer

Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I have been looking for a wiringdiagram for the cars audio wiring, but cant find anywhere, that would have helped me alot.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by TroysG
Even if he swapped the constant and the accessory it wouldn't drain because the deck wouldn't be on
Wouldn't putting 12 volts against the ACC input on the deck try to turn the deck on? It wouldn't actually turn on because the constant (what I called keep alive) is what actually feeds it and presumably would be wired to the ACC by mistake...

What about the amplifier turn on lead? could it be that the amp is constantly constantly getting juice on accident?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery dead after DD install