Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Removing stereo to access AUX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ebay, crutchfield or from PAC. you can also read my how-to/install guide at myG35mods.com for more info on the cost, where to buy and how to install.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
would this work if i got an aftermarket in-dash nav??

Old 05-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by SLOTOY1269
The stereo does not have aux inputs but if your car is prewired for satellite and you have a SAT button on your radio you may be able to add them without taking apart the dash and buying expensive adapters. Your car must be prewired for satellite to do this, if your not sure do a search and find the vin break to see if it is. I dont know if this will work for all years but I did this on my 03 sedan and it works perfect. However, you wont be able to use your satellite tuner without unpluging and reconnecting wires.
(1)You need to buy some male and female rca connectors. These are the exact ones I bought. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ab=accessories They make a solderless but I prefer soldering.
(2)Locate the sat harness going from the radio to the trunk. On my sedan it runs front to rear along the passengers side. You can put your rca jacks into the harness at any point, I found that the right rear passenger area makes it very easy to run extension cables/jacks to the console. Open right rear door, remove the lower trim piece between the carpet and the weatherstrip. Remove the lower center pillar trim. Thats the piece at the bottom between the front and rear doors, pull from the bottom and work your way upwards. Now you can pull the carpet back enough to get to the harness.
(3)The harness at this point looks like 2 white sheathed cat5 cables and a some colored wires you dont use. One of the white sheathed cables is slightly bigger than the other, using a razor or sharp knife carefully trim back the white sheathing on the slightly larger cable to expose the inside wires. If youve trimmed back the correct white cable you will see 1-black,1-white,1-red,1-green and a naked ground wire. If you dont see these colors put some electrical tape over your cuts and try the other white cable.
(4)With the correct wires located now its time to cut the black, white, red and green wire. The black wire is right+pos, the white is right-neg, the red is left+pos and the green is left-neg. Install the female rca connectors on the cut side of harness going to your radio and the male going to your trunk. The male plug will only be used if you decide to use the sat tuner or return to "stock." Use the red rca for the right side and the black for the left. If you've never used these rca connectors before, the ground is the outer most terminal and the positive is more centered. Its also best to use a small piece of electrical tape and wrap around your connections.
(5)The aux input is done! Press the SAT buton on your radio, connect your ipod or other source and try it out. Run an extension cable to your console put the trim pieces back together and enjoy.

In picture 2 the cable you want to cut into looks more gray. I didnt notice at the time but my camera flash did.

Picture 3 shows how I ran my extension cable. Remove ashtray, remove the 1 screw on the right side of console. I used a wire snake to go through the ashtray opening, under the carpet and it came out by the input. A coat hanger should work fine. As you can see in the pictures, my extension gets to the console and is connected to a rca-3.5 mini cable thats routed inside of the console compartment.

Picture 4 shows the male plugs which are not going to be used unless you want to use the satellite reciever.

Has anyone tried this?? Will it work for 05 g35 coupe?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
If you have an actual satellite reciever, yes, it'll work.

If you get an in-dash navi, it'll have its own AUX port to use however you want.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
If you have an actual satellite reciever, yes, it'll work.

If you get an in-dash navi, it'll have its own AUX port to use however you want.
I have an AVN5510 and I don't believe it has an AUX port

Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

http://audiovideodimension.com/eclip...17d1c5468eeba3

A/V inputs in the rear. Probably just need a 3.5mm to RCAs Y-cable to connect to them.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SLOTOY1269
The stereo does not have aux inputs but if your car is prewired for satellite and you have a SAT button on your radio you may be able to add them without taking apart the dash and buying expensive adapters. Your car must be prewired for satellite to do this, if your not sure do a search and find the vin break to see if it is. I dont know if this will work for all years but I did this on my 03 sedan and it works perfect. However, you wont be able to use your satellite tuner without unpluging and reconnecting wires.
(1)You need to buy some male and female rca connectors. These are the exact ones I bought. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ab=accessories They make a solderless but I prefer soldering.
(2)Locate the sat harness going from the radio to the trunk. On my sedan it runs front to rear along the passengers side. You can put your rca jacks into the harness at any point, I found that the right rear passenger area makes it very easy to run extension cables/jacks to the console. Open right rear door, remove the lower trim piece between the carpet and the weatherstrip. Remove the lower center pillar trim. Thats the piece at the bottom between the front and rear doors, pull from the bottom and work your way upwards. Now you can pull the carpet back enough to get to the harness.
(3)The harness at this point looks like 2 white sheathed cat5 cables and a some colored wires you dont use. One of the white sheathed cables is slightly bigger than the other, using a razor or sharp knife carefully trim back the white sheathing on the slightly larger cable to expose the inside wires. If youve trimmed back the correct white cable you will see 1-black,1-white,1-red,1-green and a naked ground wire. If you dont see these colors put some electrical tape over your cuts and try the other white cable.
(4)With the correct wires located now its time to cut the black, white, red and green wire. The black wire is right+pos, the white is right-neg, the red is left+pos and the green is left-neg. Install the female rca connectors on the cut side of harness going to your radio and the male going to your trunk. The male plug will only be used if you decide to use the sat tuner or return to "stock." Use the red rca for the right side and the black for the left. If you've never used these rca connectors before, the ground is the outer most terminal and the positive is more centered. Its also best to use a small piece of electrical tape and wrap around your connections.
(5)The aux input is done! Press the SAT buton on your radio, connect your ipod or other source and try it out. Run an extension cable to your console put the trim pieces back together and enjoy.

In picture 2 the cable you want to cut into looks more gray. I didnt notice at the time but my camera flash did.

Picture 3 shows how I ran my extension cable. Remove ashtray, remove the 1 screw on the right side of console. I used a wire snake to go through the ashtray opening, under the carpet and it came out by the input. A coat hanger should work fine. As you can see in the pictures, my extension gets to the console and is connected to a rca-3.5 mini cable thats routed inside of the console compartment.

Picture 4 shows the male plugs which are not going to be used unless you want to use the satellite reciever.
I just tried this on my 04x with bose and it did NOT work. I followed the write up to a T so I'm not sure what the problem is. I do have the satellite feature.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by JJGsedan
I just tried this on my 04x with bose and it did NOT work. I followed the write up to a T so I'm not sure what the problem is. I do have the satellite feature.
Do you have the actual satellite unit, or just the harness?