Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Problems with Factory Nav

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Problems with Factory Nav

Ok,

I finally took my car to Infiniti and the service manager tells me that the NAV unit has four wires that plug into the factory bose receiver. I acknowledge and asked if those 4 wires he was talking about was for the voice commander function on the stock NAV. He replied that he wasn't sure if just one wire or all four were for the voice commander. Anyway, he says that the stock bose unit had "some" NAV function in it that is probably causing my problem. My NAV can only see 2 satellites out of the 3 it needs to probably calculate/triangulate my bearings. Since I have an aftermarket radio in it (Clarion VRX935VD), they can't do anything about.

Is anyone with (factory NAV + aftermarket radio) having issues like this? My factory NAV was working fine for at least 5 months until it started acting up... (puzzled) What did you do with the 4 wires from the NAV unit that went into the Bose HU?

I've asked for wiring diagrams from the FSM but I'll be picking them up later when I go get my car.

Alex

Old 08-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The four wires are as follows: two wires for the mute signal, two wires for the 1Vpp audio signal (Nav voice). See this post for more details on the wiring interface. I can't imagine how not having these wires connected (to an aftermarket HU) would make any difference whatsoever to the Nav. The wires send analog signals from the Nav, don't receive any signal, and are not part of a digital bus. Your dealer is stretching for an answer, and this ain't it.

<font color=blue>'04 G35S 5AT, Black Obsidian/Willow, Prem/Nav/Sat</font color=blue>

Old 08-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I thought... but no matter how I argued with the service manager... he suggested I revert to stock since "90% of the time, that fixes the problem." Bleh... anyway, I've uploaded the diagrams onto my imagestation account so please, anyone who can read and understand these please let me know. I think i'm going to go to another dealer and try to convince them to install a new NAV control unit... I think that could be the only faulty part at this stage in diagnosis.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4237785093
Ok, I know these thumbnails are small but you can download the originals at a much larger resolution if you go to the imagestation album.

W B G R wires are the one's not connected