Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

dnx8120 woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dnx8120 woes

well i hooked up my dnx 8120 to my 05 x. had problems from the start,being i never did an install before. well i have bluetooth but i cant make a call and hear it.but when called its outstanding. i have a boyo camera w night vision. cant use it. dont know which wires to use. it has a red and black wire and the video hook up. and i cant figure out what to do with the parking wire(lime green) and the reverse(purple wire). also i cant use my ipod touch. no sound at all. im using the 301 cable. i put in a cd,no sound. can some one please help me

Old 04-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you really need to take it to someone that has an idea on what they are doing. the parking wire really should be obvious aswell as the reverse.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:10 PM
thanks but i've invested so much effort into this project already. i want to finish it so i can learn

Old 04-26-2009, 06:23 PM
you're not going to learn anything if you blow it up. I agree with Cypher and based on his posted he's probably just as experienced if not moreso than myself with audio equipment.
take it in, ask the guy if you can watch or help out. professionals make it look a lot easier than it is because it's their job to know.
Also based on the information you've given us we can't really help you other than camera - red should go to your reverse trigger switch or accessory if you want it on while the car's on, black to a chassis ground; the reverse wire makes it so that as soon as you put the car in reverse the screen automatically goes to your backup cam. ; and the parking brake wire is so that you can view movies while you're stopped with your parking brake (or ebrake) on.
If you're getting no sound you have the blue wire from the kenwood connected to the blue wire on the aftermarket harness. - You only hear audio when the radio is selected is my guess. connect the blue/white from the kenwood to the blue wire on the aftermarket harness

Old 04-26-2009, 06:31 PM
i gathered from the other threads here that i should put the blue and bluewhite wires together from the metra kit harnesses. and then solder to the kenwood's bluewhite wire. i had this wrong. ok then i must ground parking brake wire. the reverse should be routed to trunk area. there i will find a harness under the trunk and it has orange wire for the reverse light. do i splice the reverse and red wire from camera to the orange wire? then what should i do with black wire from camera?

Old 04-26-2009, 06:40 PM
the guys want 300 to install hu the right way. nope not happening.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:12 PM
you are asking for a lot to get done not just the deck, you're looking at ipod, backup cam, bluetooth and deck. he's quoted you high because to be honest, experienced installers hate going into system and figuring out what's wrong. What I used to do is charge them for a new install of everything and start from scratch.

Now to help you out you need a digitial multimeter or at least a test light and need to know how to use it.
STARTING WITH THE CAM
go to your taillight find the bulb that's responsible for reverse lights, find the wires, and put the car in reverse so the lights are on, take it out of here and once you find the wires that changes the status on the meter or test light, that's your wire that you connect the RED to. Black one goes to chassis ground.
PARKING BRAKE
Sometimes you cannot just ground out the parking brake wire. Find parking brake. attach the wire to the wire that is at the parking brake - pain to test with a test light.
BLUE TOOTH
it's likely just a setting, can't really help you with that. read the manual.
IPOD
read the manual see if there's any updates for the deck to work with ipod touch. may never have had the ability to work with it

Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
thank you, i understand about the installers prices. ill use a dvom for the rest of my install. ive learned alot so far from this site thats why i chose to do it on my own. i will pull her out and fix the harness wires then camera etc. youve been a great help. thanks again!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:05 PM
the power from the cam goe to ing. 12+ and ground per the directions. the rca video goes to the rear cam input on the radio. The reverse wire has to b hooked up becuse the radio auto switches to the rear cam mode when you go into reverse.

if you need to know the location and wire color of the reverse wire plz post year/make/model

now onto the parking brake. if you hook it up how its supose to be per the directions then you must have the parking brake on to watch any movies. to bypass this simply ground the parking brake wire to the radio ground.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arch
well i hooked up my dnx 8120 to my 05 x. had problems from the start,being i never did an install before. well i have bluetooth but i cant make a call and hear it.but when called its outstanding. i have a boyo camera w night vision. cant use it. dont know which wires to use. it has a red and black wire and the video hook up. and i cant figure out what to do with the parking wire(lime green) and the reverse(purple wire). also i cant use my ipod touch. no sound at all. im using the 301 cable. i put in a cd,no sound. can some one please help me
sup bro i also installed the same unit in my g last year. On the bluetooth don't know wut u mean about "but when called its outstanding"? Now about the camera , red an black is the power for the camera. I have the same camera. The green not sure if it was connected. The purple ,i tapped into the reverse wire (reverse lights-using the meter )underneath the carpet on the drivers side.Now about the sound go back thru everything and use the a meter to see if it s constant .

Old 04-26-2009, 11:42 PM
I have the kenny 8120 as well ..

In the AV Interface Setup menu -- page 2 i think -- you need to turn ON the rev.camera interrupt feature -- otherwise you won't see any image while in reverse.

I went to the reverse bulb (+) wire (orange) at the bulb plug and ran the purple/white wire to this.

Agreed regarding the blue and blue-white wires -- do what TroyG is telling to do so you power your amp in other sources (CD, IPOD, etc)

Do you have the kenny ipod cable with the red/white/yellow plugs -- these need to be plugged in to hear audio from yer ipod.

I have no issues with bluetooth -- i have a blackberry curve and moto v3 razr hooked up to the kenwood, and both phones are flawless.

Check your microphone placement and make sure no part of the mic wire has been pinched.

I just grounded that light green parking wire -- ILLEGAL -- but I did it.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 PM
i have mostly everything hooked up now,thanks to the help of you guys here on this sight. this weekend i will tackle the swi-jack and the reverse camera. i ran the wires got my sound. wow man from what ive seen so far the 8120 is the shhh. i love it. im waiting to get the dvom to finish my install. and the ipod touch doesnt show video on the 8120,only music. and thanks for the advice. i want to yell out "i did it "

Old 04-27-2009, 11:50 PM
get the audio / video cable and it will

Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 AM
i have the ipod 301 video cable. and i havent got it to work. only audio,it does show album artwork. but when i play video only the sound is present.im sure i have it hooked up correctly. can i veiw video with a flash drive? if not i will have to get my 5th gen ipod/video fixed. im just amazed at the sound quality compared to the bose head unit. i havent gotten pass 21 on the volume.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 PM
there may be a setting in the AV interface menu to allow video to be transferred from the ipod...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: dnx8120 woes