Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Upgrades to Bose - Replace subs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrades to Bose - Replace subs

My goal is to upgrade the bass from from OEM Bose system. As an alternative to adding an Infinty Basslink, I've read that a good 6X9 sub is available as a replacement for the Bose 6X9 speaker (and is surprisingly cheap). However, I've also heard people complain about the lack of highs. Could I consider, replacing the 6X9's with a good quality 3 way speaker like the Infinty Kappa 693.5i or the JBL P953?

I know little about the Bose amp. I believe it only powers the subs. Does anyone know if it has a built in cross-over in it or is it a full range amp? If the latter, I wouldn't have to replace the stock amp.

Jim Harrison
04 G35c 6MT Desert sand
jharrison@manapp.com

Old 07-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Re: Upgrades to Bose - Replace subs

It powers all the speakers. It is really a very poor amp though. I have heard the stock amp with very good seperates and it just doesn't cut it. Clarity is just not there.

-JustICE

Old 08-28-2004, 01:40 AM
Widdle ya into kindling

Bose runs at something like one ohm and is only compatable with bose speakers anything else will work,but sound like crap.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:18 AM

See the stock values thread. The tweeters measured at 4 ohm and the 6"'ers are measured at 2 with an ohmmeter (however, "nominal impedance" values are different ... a bit higher, than what you'd read with an ohmmeter).

So, you should be able to get away with just replacing the stock tweeters. You can do the 6" too, it just might become a bit quieter. I definitely suggest removing the Bose amp and replacing it with your own, though. It's pretty easy to do because the all wiring (except the battery, of course) is right there conveniently in the trunk.

I'm not sure whether the Bose amp actively powers all the speakers or just the sub. Infiniti does run everything *through* the amp, although the input to the amp is a full speaker-level signal from the radio. It's certainly possible that they just let the head unit power some of the speakers (perhaps with a crossover) and let Bose amp power the subs. One of these days I should crack open my probably-never-to-be-used again Bose amp and see what's in there.