Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this aftermarket set-up ok? (Speakers/Subs/HU w/ DD Metra Kit)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this aftermarket set-up ok? (Speakers/Subs/HU w/ DD Metra Kit)

First off, I have searched and searched before I decided to post. I cannot seem to find info on '06 G35 Sedans with Bose "Premium" package... Are the speakers only on the four doors? (minus the tiny sub)

I also need to know if 6-1/2" in the front and rear doors will be okay or will I need a smaller size? I have been looking at Infinity Kappas (6-1/2") on Crutchfield just to get the sizing right and they say that anything from 5-1/4" to 6-3/4" fits the '06 Sedan w/ Bose on all four doors wtf? I am having a hard time deciding what to buy and need some help.

Overall outlook is:

--Kenwood DDX712 head unit (w/ Metra 95-7605 DD kit--is this kit okay?)
--2 Infinity Kappa 62.9i 3-way 6-1/2" in rear doors (2-75W RMS @ 2 ohm)
--2 Infinity Reference 5020cs 2-way 5-1/4" in front doors (2-75W RMS @ 2 ohms)
--Kenwood KAC-8404 4 Channel 600W Amp (75W RMS @ 2 ohms x4)
--1 Rockford Fosgate T1 12" Sub (100-600W RMS @ 2 ohms)
--Rockford Fosgate Power 500bd Amp (500W RMS x 1 @ 2 ohms)

Please help me decide on the correct speaker sizing and let me know if everything else seems legit...

This is my first post so I apologize if this info was right in front of me. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Bucszilla; 05-03-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Can someone at least tell me what size speakers will work in the doors???

Please?

Old 05-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Front Door: 6-3/4"
Rear Seats: 6-3/4"
Rear Deck: 6x9"
6-1/2" will fit just fine in the Fdoor and Rseats

Old 05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by DEMoLITIoN
Front Door: 6-3/4"
Rear Seats: 6-3/4"
Rear Deck: 6x9"
6-1/2" will fit just fine in the Fdoor and Rseats
So there are 2 6x9s in the rear too or are you saying that to replace the one 8" sub with a 6x9?

Also which DD kit should I get? --> http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...a+95-7605.html or http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10869

Last edited by Bucszilla; 05-03-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
I personally would go with JDM DD kit.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucszilla
So there are 2 6x9s in the rear too or are you saying that to replace the one 8" sub with a 6x9?

Also which DD kit should I get? --> http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...a+95-7605.html or http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10869
My bad I was talking about the coupe. I have the metra kit for the coupe. It cost me $100. It gets the job done for the price. And there aren't any fitment issues either.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
I personally would go with JDM DD kit.
I really wanted this kit on Grubbs because it keeps the metal finish but it is on backorder. Is there another kit available like this one or am I stuck with the plastic DD kit?

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/servlet/Detail?no=3059

Please post a link of other sources...

(Is this kit plastic? It just says it is "color matched to factory dash" --> http://www.grubbsperformance.com/servlet/Detail?no=3074)

Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 AM
Riverside Infiniti is the only other place I have seen them for sale and they are back ordered there too, I have been on the list since early March and already got mine from Grubbs on their last shipment.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 AM
The bose speakers are an odd shape so no matter what size speaker you choose, you will need an adapter, allowing you to use 5-1/4" to 6-3/4". Also, most people choose the Infinity speakers to go with the stock amp since they are 2ohm stock, but if you are going with an aftermarket amp as well, it really opens up your selection of speakers. If you've listened to the Kappas and liked them, then by all means get what you like, but if you are basing your selection on other peoples recommendations on this forum, then I would suggest you go to an audio shop and listen to some various speakers and see what you like. Bring a cd with some music that you like so you can here your own tastes on the speakers.

Have you planned how you are going to mount your sub? Make sure you pick the right size sub for the enclosure you use as well.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Go with the JDM .. the Kenwood 712 will fit nicely there and the screw holes for the Kenwood are rather nicely place for our OEM holes in the OEM bracket....

Also, you can trim the trim ring included with the 712 so it fits BEHIND the JDM opening and this will eliminate that ugly space/around the Kenwood once it's placed in the JDM opening.

Trust me... GO JDM .. you'll thank yourself later for the better aesthetic in the interior.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I have the Kenwood 6140 and the Kenwood 8120 and they are both friggen sweet ..

Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Good info guys, keep it coming!

I just need to know what depth the front & rear speakers max is to be able to clear the windows when they are rolled down? I called the dealer and they would not tell me wtf?

In reference to the Kappas, I haven't even heard them before and was going off of consumer ratings lol I wanted the 2 ohms because you seem to get more bang for your buck so to speak. This will allow me to get a decent priced Kenwood amp to push 4 channels @ 75W RMS. If I went with different speakers say at 4 ohms, I would have to get an amp that would push that much power @ 4 ohms and it would be twice the cost.

I am actually going to get the Rockford Fosgate T2 12" sub and will put it in a ported box with 2.5 cubic ft as it is recommended. I have yet to find the box online but am looking... ..ideas?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:45 PM
If price is your main concern, then the Kappas might be a good choice to go with. Other suggestions I can offer is to go with a used amp. I bought a DLS A3 for $275 and it retails for around $900 and still goes for over $500 on ebay new I think. You can also go with front sound staging as well. It will save you the cost of rear speakers and you can just get a good 2/3 ch amp instead of the 4ch amp. Many car audio enthusiast would say to go with this setup anyways. I didnt like the idea of it until I added my sub and front components, now Im sold on front sound staging.

Regardless of what you choose to do, I would say you should definitely go listen to the speakers first before you buy it. If you have a local Best Buy, they sell both speakers. Just listen to them so you can make sure you like the sound they produce.

As far as the sub goes, I am assuming youve heard the sub and like it. If you really want to go ported, i think it would be best to go to a few local audio shops and have them make you a custom box for the sub. Ported boxes need to be the right dimensions and with the right port dimensions to get the best sound out of your sub. I think my friend got his box made for around $100-150. Have you thought of going sealed or with a 10" sub?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Price concern is def there since I will be investing near $2000 in the car audio...I really do not want to spend more than that. I have to get a different amp for the sub (1500W mono amp) which costs near $800.

Where could I find a used amp besides ebay. I do not really trust buying anything off ebay for some reason?

What speakers would you recommend? I want the highs to scream but still maintain their mids and lows too. The Kappas I was looking at were these:

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/kappa639i.aspx

They are regular $220 per set but cost $100 at this site... ..I just thought 2 ohm speakers were better for some reason. I've had Boston Acoustics 6x9s in the past and they were decent but I want something that is reasonably priced and sound FULL. Suggestions?

I am not too keen on this front staging. I really do not want just the highs coming from the front...thanks though. I just need help deciding on speakers. I most likely will get a custom box made locally and have it tuned to specs.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 PM
ebay can really be hit or miss. Some sellers will be honest about what they are selling, while others wont be, but from what i've heard, ebay is pretty good at protecting the buyers. Other places for used that I can recommend would be here on this forum in the marketplace, diymobileaudio.com classifieds, caraduio.com classifieds, and of course craigslist. Craigslist is probably the best option since they will all be local, but there will obviously be a limited selection. You can find speakers and subs there too. I had good luck with sellers on those forums, but make sure you are careful and use common sense when purchasing. The plus about the audio forums is that they will usually be more honest about their products and give detailed pics of the item.

For $100 or around there you are going to have a very limited selection. The Kappas do provide a pretty decent range, I think they were slightly limited in the highs from what I remember. The only other decent speakers I can think of that I have personally heard in that price range are the Alpine R and S series components. Decent range and sound. The Rs tend to hit a little deeper than other speakers. I've heard some pretty good MB Quartz and JL 6x9s. You might want to check out their components to see if they fit your budget. If you can spend more in the $300-500 range for fronts you can open up a much bigger an better selection. I would definitely invest a lot more in the fronts and worry less about the rears though.

As far as the front sound staging goes, maybe you can try to find someone local to you that has a system you can hear it on. I really was in the same thought that you were until I put my system in. Now I realize how much better it actually sounds. You cant judge it with your current setup because everything will be coming from the front, but once you add the sub in the trunk it will sound a lot more "normal". But if you like having highs in the rear then that is totally fine, each person has their own preference, so if you like it, stick with it. But if you can get the chance to hear it, it might save you some extra cash and allow you to put a better system in your car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this aftermarket set-up ok? (Speakers/Subs/HU w/ DD Metra Kit)