Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which size speaker spacers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which size speaker spacers?

I need to know what size spacers are needed for the speakers I am installing...the description on the speakers do not say their exact size from center hole.

1. Speaker Spacers -- sizes are limited to 5" to 5.75" center hole

2. JL Audio C5-650x -- Diameter: 6.5 Inch

3. Alpine SPX-17REF -- Diameter: 6.5 Inch

So, what size spacers are needed?

Any help is appreciated!!

Attached Thumbnails Which size speaker spacers?-nissaninfinitisp-2t.jpg   Which size speaker spacers?-c5650x-1.jpg   Which size speaker spacers?-spx17ref.jpg  
Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 AM
depends on the inner diameter of the speaker. if you can find the overall dimensions of the speaker you should be able to answer your own question. But, also you should be fine with 5.75" hole, a 6.5" speaker won't fall in, but if you get a 5" hole you'd have to modify it to fit.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TroysG
depends on the inner diameter of the speaker. if you can find the overall dimensions of the speaker you should be able to answer your own question.
Agreed. Download the manual from the support section of the speaker's manufacturer and it should have detailed specs on the depth, width, etc.

I bought the zenclosures speaker adapters with a 5.5" center hole. I have the JL Audio C5-650 which is the same speaker as yours, just the component version. So the size should be the same. The adapters fit snugly onto the C5-650. If you just hold them up to the woofer it actually is a TAD smaller, but you put some pressure and it squeezes perfectly into place forming a really nice seal. So if you get a 5.75" hole it will work fine, it just may have some play inside the center hole. Anything smaller than 5.5" won't work with the C5 without cutting. Can't comment on the Alpines.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Hey Slizzap, how are those JLs? I am just going off a whim and buying without hearing them up close. Do they pick up low-mid range decently? How are the highs with the silk tweeter?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Bucszilla
Hey Slizzap, how are those JLs? I am just going off a whim and buying without hearing them up close. Do they pick up low-mid range decently? How are the highs with the silk tweeter?
I kinda did the same thing as you. I bought a set of the VR series components from JL for my Acura RSX last year and I was pretty impressed with the sound quality. So I decided to try out the C5 series...almost bought the ZR series but it was almost double the cost and decided not to go too crazy. But I'm still in the middle of my install so I can't really comment yet. I only hooked up the front channel to make sure everything works. I tested with Tool's Aenima and what I heard sounded great...highs were amazing and there was definitely detail that I don't remember hearing before. But as far as the mid-bass goes, I hadn't adjusted the settings on the passive crossovers, or the frequency settings on the amp itself, and the door was completely disassembled (no glass, panels, motor, etc.). Once I get everything setup properly, panels back together and the amp/head-unit tuned, I'll let you know.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by slizzap
I kinda did the same thing as you. I bought a set of the VR series components from JL for my Acura RSX last year and I was pretty impressed with the sound quality. So I decided to try out the C5 series...almost bought the ZR series but it was almost double the cost and decided not to go too crazy. But I'm still in the middle of my install so I can't really comment yet. I only hooked up the front channel to make sure everything works. I tested with Tool's Aenima and what I heard sounded great...highs were amazing and there was definitely detail that I don't remember hearing before. But as far as the mid-bass goes, I hadn't adjusted the settings on the passive crossovers, or the frequency settings on the amp itself, and the door was completely disassembled (no glass, panels, motor, etc.). Once I get everything setup properly, panels back together and the amp/head-unit tuned, I'll let you know.
I actually changed my order and decided to go with the JL C5 650x components and the 650 for the rears...one question though, do you have to treat the tweeters as a separate channel to the amp? Basically how did you wire yours?

I can't wait to hear from your follow-up...be sure to remember

PM me or post a thread and I will be all over it lol

Last edited by Bucszilla; 05-20-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bucszilla
I actually changed my order and decided to go with the JL C5 650x components and the 650 for the rears...one question though, do you have to treat the tweeters as a separate channel to the amp? Basically how did you wire yours?

I can't wait to hear from your follow-up...be sure to remember

PM me or post a thread and I will be all over it lol
The 650X are the 2-ways and the 650 is the component set. Did you get one of each? I put in 650 components in both the front and the rear deck. I completely took out the rear side panel speakers. If you were planning on mounting them there...don't. Way too shallow to install anything there. And you'll have to get 6x9 adapter plates for the rear deck...so I went with components there since they're always better than 2-ways.

Regardless of which set you get (component vs 2-way), they both come with passive crossovers. You'll wire the woofer and tweeter to the crossover, then run a wire from the crossover to your amp or head-unit.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah I will get one of each, i just switched the "x" in the wrong spot...

I have the G35 '06 Sedan so I will be putting the JLs in all the doors. Is that what you were referring to as way too shallow??

Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 PM
That probably doesn't apply to you then. I have the coupe which has speakers in the front, rear side panels, and rear deck. The rear side panel speakers are surface mounted behind the panel and probably has about an inch of clearance between the body panel and the speaker mount. I can't see anything fitting in there at all. I'm glad I decided early on to just use the rear deck for my rear speakers. Since you have the sedan, I'm guessing you have the same clearance in the rear doors as you do in the fronts.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Actually, I think the rear has more clearance if I'm not mistaken.

Why is it that components are better than the 2-way? Aren't they both 2-ways except the tweeter is in a different location on the components?

I'm curious where you put the tweeters on the rears...

Old 05-20-2009, 07:31 PM
You could probably find better information elsewhere on this forum or other sites regarding separates (components) versus 2-ways. In a nutshell, with a 2-way the tweeter has to be mounted right in front of the woofer, and then wires go through the woofer sacrificing some range of motion with the woofer. Plus there's also the location and direction of the tweeter. At least that's what I think, I'm sure there's more technical reasoning behind it. But everything I've read tells me separates will always have better sound quality.

The coupe has a rear deck with 6x9s. I bought 6x9 adapter plates and mounted both the woofer and tweeter on the plate. The main reason I decided on the rear deck is because the tweeters would bounce up and off the rear window towards the front whereas the side panels would just fire sideways. Good thing I went that route since I didn't know about the depth issue with the side speakers on my coupe.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 PM
So far I'm REALLY impressed with the sound quality of the C5s. I tuned the amp last night with the proper gains and set the crossovers according to an audio test CD I had. I played various test tones starting at 35 Hz and going up in 5 Hz incremements. IIRC, he C5s seemed to start losing volume as I hit 50 Hz or so moving downwards...which makes sense since they're actually rated at 48 Hz - 25 KHz. I set the crossover on my amp to about 65 Hz and I'll let the sub pick up the rest once I get it. The test tones brought out some new rattles so I spent a while tending to those, but I drove around for a good hour today and the sound quality is just amazing. I cranked it louder than I would comfortably listen to, even at highway speeds, and it was crystal clear with no distortion. Mid-range is pretty impressive. It's been a loooong time since I got out of my car and my ears were ringing from the stereo

If anybody wants a nice tool for testing/tuning your setup, grab this free CD with test tones:

http://virtuelvis.com/archives/2004/09/audio-test-cd

The site lists all the frequences (and their track numbers) so you can go up and down and repeat the track to test/tune your speakers and amps, or equally as important flush out those pesky rattles. I found out the source of a really annoying rattle in my car was actually the reflector on the inside door panels. I had some left over Raammat laying around so I covered up the reflector on the inside of the panel, rattle eliminated.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Good stuff as usual...

Where did you mount your crossovers? I thought you mentioned the trunk but I couldn't remember? Every pic I see they're always in the door behind the panel which would make things difficult for adjustments on the fly.

I think I might actually get the coaxials in the rear because I really have nowhere to mount the tweeters without a major mod. I hope they sound as good as the components I'm putting up front. :fingers crossed:

Cheers to the JL C5s! I cannot wait...I should have things ordered/installed within a few weeks.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I put the fronts behind the kick panels, and the rears in the trunk floor area on the back seat brace. I didn't want to put them in the doors either since they're adjustable.

http://slap.gotdns.org/crossover1.jpg

http://slap.gotdns.org/crossover2.jpg

My car is 85% put back together. I've been at this almost 2 weeks now. Just waiting on some unexpected replacement parts :P Today I somehow managed to strip the seat belt bolt on the passenger side when I put it back together. Just a typical sign of my luck. But my replacement snaps came in today so all the rear panels are back on. Next I just have to mount the amp and clean that sucker up! Just in time for the nice weather...actually, a tad late. It's been beautiful out here this past week.

Edit: Oh and if you only have one set of components, definitely put those up front. I took the tweeter panel off my doors, removed the tweeter and took off the bracket, then used silicone adhesive to attach the new C5 tweeter to the bracket. I let that dry for probably a good half day just to be safe, then just mounted the bracket back on the panel. It leaves about 1/4"-1/2" gap but that's no big deal. Works great, and sounds great.

Last edited by slizzap; 05-22-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Could you hook me up with a link to the replacement snaps? I will def need those.

Thanks for all the good info...you've helped me out quite a bit and I am sure I will have more questions in the near future.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which size speaker spacers?