Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Buttkicker Silent Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009 | 04:59 PM
|
Buttkicker Silent Subwoofer

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about trying a new product out, the Buttkicker. If you don't know what it is, I suggest scoping out their website www.thebuttkicker.com. It's basically a subwoofer without the sound, just the vibrations (from what I understand).

Anyways, I had a few questions for everyone and would love to hear all your opinion(s).

1. Has anybody used this product? (Especially in their car)
2. In order to use this product in your car, you have to attach it directly onto the frame. Would this have any significant effects in the long run?
3. Would all the vibrations directly to the frame damage anything?

I was planning to either put it behind the console, on the floor bar thing that separates the left and right back flooring, but was wondering if there was any space to put it directly under the console to keep it hidden and closer to the front? (I have a 07 Coupe 6mt).

Just thought I'd say that I'm a first time thread poster and that I've learned a lot from reading everyone else's posts/threads, so thank you. I hope to get some good feedback!

Old 05-18-2009 | 08:29 PM
Buttkicker nuff said....

Old 05-18-2009 | 09:47 PM
The website says: "the Silent Subwoofer vibrates the overall interior of the vehicle much less than an average subwoofer does."

I am interested in this as well...I think I would add this with my 10" T2 Power sub and get great results. The frequency response is 5-200 Hz!!

I am willing to give it a shot and order now.

What is the price?? I cannot find it anywhere on the site?

Last edited by Bucszilla; 05-18-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2009 | 09:57 PM
I could have sworn I posted in this thread earlier, but I guess not. I used to sell these or a similar brand way back in the 90's so they're not new. All they are is an electric motor that vibrates to the beat of music. I've installed and used quite a few of these since when they first came out everyone just had to have them, but in reality they do nothing. If you have a good sub in your car it will sounds good. Why would you want something that does nothing except vibrate the seat it's mounted to? These things are gimmics at best and serve no real purpose. IMHO

Old 05-18-2009 | 10:12 PM
Why the hell in the specs it gives a freq response? I realize the Home Theater vibrates your chair but what about this "5-200 Hz?"

Old 05-18-2009 | 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Bucszilla
Why the hell in the specs it gives a freq response? I realize the Home Theater vibrates your chair but what about this "5-200 Hz?"
Because that is the frequency it reacts to. Unless they changed them from back in the day it's just a motor, so since it doesn't provide any sound how could it have a frequency response?

EDIT: Looking at the website these look identical to what I used to sell. The still even call them transducers, so I have to imagine they're the same things I used to sell.

Old 05-18-2009 | 10:36 PM
What a gimmick! So all you feel is vibrations instead of deep bass like they claim?

Old 05-18-2009 | 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Bucszilla
What a gimmick! So all you feel is vibrations instead of deep bass like they claim?
Exactly! The only way to feel bass is from sound waves and these produce no sound at all so the only thing you feel is a thump from the motor. Some people like them, but I'm not one of them.

Old 05-18-2009 | 10:57 PM
Thanks for the clarification! You saved me a few hundred $ lol

Old 05-18-2009 | 11:12 PM
Glad I could help. Do I get a % of the money I saved you? LOL

Old 05-19-2009 | 12:32 AM
under the seat some how, would feel good. or some 12" inchers in the trunk......

Old 05-19-2009 | 12:44 AM
|
I've talked to some people that have it and they said that if you turn it up loud enough and put your ear next to it, you can make out the song. So I'm guessing it does more than just vibrate. On the website they make an effort to differentiate themselves by saying their product is a TACTILE transducer. But I'm not really sure what that means. I know they aren't new, but the Buttkicker is suppose to be exponentially better than anything that's come out before it. I can't imagine that it would disappoint with it shaking a transducer at 1000 watts RMS. Lol, I'm sure I'll feel something.

It is definitely not a replacement for a sub by any means. The best way that I can describe it is if you've ever ridden on a simulation ride like Back to the Future at Universal Studios. Everytime you 'hit' a bump or 'crash' into something, you FEEL the movement, instead of a giant sub trying to reproduce it.

Still not entirely sure of what to expect, but I kind of still want to try it out.

I still want some feedback as to if it would damage anything in the car due to the vibrations/drilling holes into wherever on the frame of the car.

Old 05-19-2009 | 12:00 PM
Sounds like the old Aura BassShakers... complete crap IMO.

Old 05-19-2009 | 12:17 PM
cool if you have no room

over all its kinda odd to feel the bass (somewhat feel I should say) and not be able to hear it

just get a 10"/12" sub and feed it its recomened wattage.
For $400 you can get more out of a simple sub/amp combo

Old 09-06-2010 | 11:10 AM
Administrator
I'm not sure how good the Buttkicker is for the car, but I picked up a ButtKicker® Wireless Home Theater Kitfor my Home Theater last week and have played with it a little bit. I can tell you that it's definitely not just a rumble motor and does react to the frequency, and amplitude of the input signal.

I find it a bit distracting for most music, but if you like techno-pop, hip-hop, or that thumping sensation when you're out clubbing, you'll probably like it. I think if you like the booming bass of a car sub, you'll like it a lot.

For me, it works best for action movies. Explosions and gunfire are distinguishable from each other, and you can actually tell how far away they are! Movies like Saving Private Ryan and U-471 become more involving and intense. I watched Percy Jackson, The Lightning Thief the other day, and it definitely added to the movie and the Pod Racing scene in StarWars I made me feel more like I as along for the ride. A shot or explosion feels like a quick and dramatic shock, and thunder feels like a rumble that decreases in the distance. When turned off, there is definitely the sense that something is missing.

For some other movies, it becomes a bit distracting and should be turned off unless you like to feel a thump every time a door is closed.

Even when I can't feel it, during some passages like music, etc., if I push my ear into the cushion, I can hear some of the music through the frame of of my recliner (it gets its signal from my 'subwoofer out' on the receiver, so it's mostly bass). Basically, the Buttkicker is a heavy duty voicecoil that actuates the frame of your chair (sofa, recliner, etc.) instead of the cone of a speaker.

I use this with my SVS sub which gets down to about 17Hz. I think it suppliments the LFE nicely. I actually researched a lot before buying one (many HT forums an subwoofer threads) and now think at least for Home Theater, it's a good addition.

Many musicians use these in the stage and studio for tactile feedback, so the effects have to be accurate: Pro Musician Users

I understand that they are putting Buttkickers int the Theater Seats in the up coming World's Fair as well.

For some reading:
Amazon Buttkicker Reviews Amazon Buttkicker Reviews

Sorry for the long post, but I just thought I needed to clarify with my own impressions. I'm interested in hearing from someone with one in his car.