Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a G35, Need help buying Audio components

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a G35, Need help buying Audio components

I'm selling my Cadillac and getting a G35, I got ripped off by a shop in my current car so I don't want to make the same mistake twice. I'm buying all my parts online, prob ebay. I'm looking for 2 12' subs that bump, I listen to mostly rap. My budget is around 850 in parts, install is separate.

I searched a few enclosures, and I like this one a lot. But I dont know if its just ebay crap and worthless.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-INFINITI-G-35-G35-Sub-Box-Speaker-Enclosure-NEW_W0QQitemZ260383532118QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca0116456&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I know nothing about parts, and I'm going to have it prof installed at a local shop. So, If anyone could give me some good Dual 12 Sub Combinations with Amps, That would be appreciated. Also, Anyone in the NJ Area that is interested in doing the install, I'm willing to pay, so feel free to holla! I'd also like to mount the Amp(s) in the center, and maybe have a custom lighted plexy glass built into the center of the boxs, is that a bad idea?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 AM
search is your friend.
many people here go with JL W6s, Image Dynamic, if you're just upgrading the subs and want something to rattle you donpisto has some pretty good suggestions. Either PM him or do a search through his posting in the audio section

Old 05-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
DO NOT buy ANY ported enclosures as you pictured from anywhere. The reason for this is that you need to find out what the port is tuned to. If you're not familiar with that language, in a nutshell, a subwoofer box is made based on the specs of a subwoofer. You need the proper size enclosure to match the sub, sorta like how wheels and tires go. With wheels and tires you can only stretch the tire so much, or cover the wheel up so much, same goes with a sub/enclosure.

The port is tuned to a certain frequency. Most people think ported is always louder, wrong. It depends on the sub, because some subs may work better with a sealed enclosure, plus its also personal preference. I loved ported, went to sealed, and won't go back.
Anyway, back to what I was saying. The tuning frequency, say at 35 Hz is about average. It will get pretty loud, capture some of the lower frequencies (bass you feel more than you hear), pretty good for a daily driver setup (for most subs). Something tuned to 28 Hz (not so common) may not get as loud, but will pick up the lower frequencies better and sound smoother (again, depends on the sub too and the size of the box). Something tuned to 45 Hz IMO will sound like sh*t. It will get louder more than likely, but it's not going to be as smooth or musical sounding, quite boomy. Some people prefer that, I don't...I like smooth and natural.

You have to make sure that the sub you're using will be put in the proper enclosure, so not only is the port's tuning frequency important when going with a ported box, but so is the amount of airspace (whether sealed or ported). If the box is too small or too large it can damage the sub, won't sound as good as it should, etc.

So before you choose a sub, look for it's recommended enclosure specs and make sure you have the space for that.

If you're looking for some subs that bump, any sub can do that, it just depends on how much you want it to. I know some people that will say 130 dB is plenty loud and others that will say 140 dB is still not loud enough...that 10 dB difference is a HUGE difference. And it also depends on the box. You seriously can go with a single 10" sub and achieve mid 130's on less than 1,000w RMS, it depends on the sub and the box. Throw a good sub into a sh*tty box and it probably will sound worse than a decent sub in a very good box.

The brands TroysG recommended are very common, very popular, and good to go with. If you want more variety, look into Audiopulse, TC Sounds, RE Audio, Stereo Integrity, Mach 5 Audio, Sundown, SSA Audio, Digital Designs, Audioque, Alpine Type R.....and theres a few more but I named quite a few of the stuff you probably haven't heard of, but more than likely will be cheaper than the mainstream stuff and alot of times, much better. BTW, Audiopulse and TC Sounds is the same. I wouldn't go with the Type X for Alpine because the Type R is better to go with if you wanna get loud.

Realize that for 850, you're on a tight budget. Each sub can go from 200 - 300 bucks and an amp to power them can cost from 300-500. That's another important thing. Power. It's better IMO and depending on the difference, to power 1 sub to its full potential than to power 2 subs say halfway to their potential. Sure, 2 subs may look cooler, but 1 sub getting louder is more impressive....especially when like me, I had a single 10 that was getting louder with people that had 2 15's...people couldn't figure out why.

Well, I tried to keep it short, but I guess I failed, lol...hopefully the info is very useful. Just a hint, Mach 5 Audio makes good stuff, quite inexpensive and a single IXL may be enough with 1,000w rms. It's a good sub on a low budget. Don't forget that you need a good box built. I'd recommend going on an audio forum like caraudio.com/forum and seeing if there is someone local to build you an enclosure. They'll usually do it for under 200 bucks. There actually is a guy I do recommend and I think his website is fishercustoms.com. You'll find him under the username BJ Fisher or something like that. Builds very nice enclosures, ships them, and pure quality. I haven't bought from him but I've seen his stuff, very good and very reasonable pricing.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 PM
^+1 to everything don said. Pre-made ported enclosure ftl.

I am a bit curious on how you plan to fit 1x12 foot sub in a car, let alone two. Jk. '=feet "=inches

Something else the don kinda brushed on but didnt go in to detail about is the whole 2 subs vs 1 thing. There are tons of people that think by going with 2x12" subs they are going to get awesome sound and its going to kick hard, but that isn't always the case. There are many factors that go in to how loud and deep your sub will get. If you have 2 crappy 12s in a crappy enclosure with barely enough to power it, a good 10" can easily out perform them. The point is, if you really want quality sound, dont get stuck on the idea of having 2 subs or 12". Especially considering your budget, I would suggest going with 1x10/12". If all you care about is looks and making your car rattle down the street then do as you like.

The other thing I cant stress enough is to LISTEN to your purchase before you buy it. Everyone comes on to the forums saying what should I buy, but they havent even listened to anything yet, and end up buying some subs/speakers without hearing them first. If you look at all the subs don recommended youll see he recommended a lot of different brands. They are all god brands, but they each have their own unique sound. Some will play certain music better and some you might just like the sound it produces. Go to as many audio shops around you that you can find and listen to some subs. See what kinda sound you like and buy according to that. If you want more options, let us know what you liked and maybe someone here can recommenced some other subs to check out.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Just to add a bit on what Matt said, I would DEFINITELY recommend checking out to see how the sub sounds, especially if you can find one already in the car because the ones on a soundboard in a shop are a completely different environment. Totally different atmosphere.

Also, besides the 1 sub vs 2 sub thing, the SIZE of the sub people also hear lots of inaccurate info on. Larger subs don't mean louder, and smaller subs don't mean sound quality. I ran a couple different 18" subs in my previous car and they sound as good as some smaller subs, and even better actually. And if people say 18's can't keep up or won't be as fast as an 8" sub, I literally laugh because I listen to all types of music, and I listen to some metal with LOTS of double bass and I never had any problems with the sub not being able to keep up.

Another company I forgot to mention is FI Car Audio. I don't particularly recommend one company over another because I haven't dealt with them or used their products...I've messed around with a few, primarily TC Sounds/Audiopulse and what I can say about them is that they are low-end monsters for the most part, and can work in smaller enclosures. I've been pleased with 90% of their sub (even their prototype stuff). I'm not saying theyre the best, theyre not...there is no best. It all depends on what you're going for. I would go with them with my setup, but I want to keep weight to a minimum so I'm going with the oldschool JL w6 as much as I don't like running mainstream brands.