Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Newbie in the audio department, need help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Newbie in the audio department, need help.

So now I have recently experienced firsthand why the BOSE radio is called the "BLOSE" radio, I am ready to move onto double din.

Already ordered the JDM finisher, AC controls, and have all the hardware to accomodate a double din radio, here is where I need opinons.

I have spoken to a couple friends about install, they will do it professionally for $150, is that about the going rate? Or should I take it to the local Al & Ed's since they'll probably warranty work better than a friend would

Also, I've been looking for a double din indash that suits my needs, can you guys recommend a good one?

I don't want it to run over $700, because I already have stock Navi, so I don't need it. Basically my needs include:

-Touch screen (7 inch would be nice)
-Video play back
-rear view camera ready
-steering wheel controls compatibility
-ipod interface (the more friendlier the better).

I realize that there is a PAC steering control module specifically made for our cars, can I please get the part number? Also, do they all require a special ipod harness or will a regular USB ipod adapter work.

And I've been doing some shopping/slight research online and I found that http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com has very good prices when comparing to crutfield.

Right now the Kenwood DNX714 is really capturing my eyes, thoughts?

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/ke...14ddx-714.aspx

I know these are newbie questions, but I am just totally lost when it comes to this kind of things. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Also, kenwood makes a backup camera, but it's not license plate mounted.

I'd like to have it on the license plate frame for a clean look, what do you guys think about Boyo's?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
I personally love my Kenwood however 700 wont get it one. A lot of members here like the Pioneers but I believe you get what you pay for. I dont have a rear view camera but the Kenwood one has good reviews but like you said its not pretty like the Boyo.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Um, i always believe that unless you're gunna doing it yourself and know how to troubleshoot any issues that may arise, pay someone to do it who'll warranty the issue and protect your investment.

2. I highly recommend the Kenwood DDX line-up over the Pioneer line-up as the Pioneers have recently had many issues (particular in the Avic line-up). The DDX lineup will allow you to have the back up camera

3. I have a boyo 420 license plate mounted cam and it's great -- it's auto-image reversing (in case your headunit doesn't do this) and great at night with only the rear lighting that's stock on the G. It's subtle, sleek (used a blackone -- don't get the chrome, its finish deteriorates quickly and doesn't look stealth). The 420 has received many many good reviews on this site and others. I got mine from ebay for $60 shipped

4. PAC makes a steering wheel control www.pac-audio.com and search for your car and your headunit (that you end up choosing) and you'll find the model number of the PAC control unit. Everything you need to get the steering wheel controller up and running (including resistors) are included in the packaging. If you're interested in using your steering wheel to do bluetooth, you should re-consider the Pioneer headunits as the new PAC module will allow you to answer phone calls (but not hang up) via the steering wheel. It's something you will not be able to do with the Kenwood products.

5. All include above should get you right around $700 obvsiously not including the JDM trimplate and AC controller ($500 headunit, $50 for steering wheel controller, $60 boyo camera).

Lemme know if i can be of further help -- plenty of knowledge on this forum, I recently installed a Kenwood 8120 in my 2k6 Gx with Boyo 420 -- kept the stock Bose amp and speakers and it sounds amazingly better than the stock headunit.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Also -- if it's important for you to have a backup camera with capability of superimposing grid lines on the image (to help guide your vehicle while you're reversing, kinda like the OEM '07+ back up cameras) then you should consider Audiovox and some higher end Pioneer cameras that range between $200-250 .. you get what you pay for, unfortunatly they too are not licenseplate mountable.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Its not hard to push the green phone or the red phone on the Kenwood lol. I see your point though, its not on the steering wheel

Old 06-07-2009, 09:06 PM
DO NOT ORDER FROM DEALER COST CAR AUDIO!!!!!!!!!!

They are rated 0.91/10... Here are the reviews of this company: http://www.resellerratings.com/store...Cost_Car_Audio

I already made a thread about this lousy company not too long ago --> https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...car-audio.html

BTW, I have yet to get a tracking number but was billed the same day on 5/26! I am now in the process of disputing this order and trying to cancel this order. Worst. Company. Ever.

Last edited by Bucszilla; 06-07-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by naughty240
Its not hard to push the green phone or the red phone on the Kenwood lol. I see your point though, its not on the steering wheel

I know it sounds silly and geriatric -- but I kinda wish they'd make those buttons even bigger b/c it's just another time I'm taking my eyes away from the road .. if it was a bit bigger, I'd be able to grab it from my peripheral vision. Other than that, I agree -- it's not too hard and you get used to it pretty quick -- half the time on my 2k8/9 G's I have to look down at the steering wheel to see what button to press to talk, LOL.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks peter, your post really helped move things along. Is there a lower end of DDX that will do what I want? I am not seeing why the move up in price with the different line up. Thanks for your info, I am set on the boyo as well, the black one looks very stealth/nice.

Buc, thanks also for your heads up, you saved me a lot of headaches and troubles.....I hope you get your money back soon!

For the bluetooth, are the talking mike built into the headunit itself as well? It actually picks up your voice that well?

Last edited by G SEDAN; 06-08-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
yo g sedan look in to the alpine w505 i think, it runs about 500 and its back up camera ready, plus it alpine cant go wrong with it

Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
Are you looking to replace your front and/or rear speakers at all? I don't think I saw you list them to replace.

I had a component set of Phoenix Gold RSD65's that I sold before I installed them - they were roughly selling for $100 or so and were the best bang for the buck I found.

I'd definitely replace the speakers before any of the other stuff - the OEM speakers also BLOSE

Old 06-08-2009, 03:00 AM
I think the speakers are fine for now, I'm not looking to replace them anytime soon. My headunit is just tripping out, and since on the 03-04 G's, the stupid ac controls and head units are one piece.....when my radio fouls up, so does my entire AC controls. BLAH!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 AM
The bluetooth mic is usually a wired mic that you can place at various locations in the cabin -- most popular locations are at the cardholder (above the driver's side window) or on the driver's side visor.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
Here are the possible PAC-Audio steering wheel interfaces you'll need - it's dependent on which brand of DD you're gonna buy:

http://www.pac-audio.com/productSear...1390&YearId=15 <-- page 2 - the PAC-SWI ones

Also, if you're going to buy all this stuff yourself for a friend to install, make his life easier by buying a wiring harness and an antenna adapter for FM/AM radio:

http://www.scosche.com/vehicle.searc...odel=G35+Sedan

My buddy got neither when he installed my DD ...

On the 'friendly IPOD' interface, I can't speak for Pioneer and Kenwood units, but the GUI for the ipod on the Clarion MAX-675BT (I have this one) and it's newer brother MAX-685BT are great - looks just like the face of an ipod.

Last edited by S 854; 06-08-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:52 AM
He did tell me I needed to get him a harness or he has them in stock. He said that it just plugs into the oem plug and all the wires are colorcoded so he can match em up to the radio he's installing. Which one do I need from the website?

It looks like I found the steering control for the kenwood

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=29

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie in the audio department, need help.