Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What kinda speakers you all running?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:46 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Whatever speakers you go with I recommend using an amp with them if you want to get optimal output and performance out of them.

The Dyn's are sexy...I loved my Zapco CK's when I had them and I sold them for super cheap, wish I coulda kept them. If you don't want to run an amp, stick to the Polk Momo, I heard they do pretty well without an amp.

The Phoenix Gold RSD's get a bit of a good review, primarily because of the midrange/bass driver...the tweeters are decent. It all comes down to how much you want to spend, plus you have to look at some of the speakers as far as their depth goes. With my Accord, when I had the Zapco's, I literally cut the door a little for some clearance.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Well i guess the Infinity References fit and thats what im gonna get (that and im getting a hook up with a friend at best buy )

What kind of amp do you guys recommend? I have the Hifonics BXi208 right now for just my sub, but its only a 2 channel.

Not looking to spend a lot.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Well i guess the Infinity References fit and thats what im gonna get (that and im getting a hook up with a friend at best buy )

What kind of amp do you guys recommend? I have the Hifonics BXi208 right now for just my sub, but its only a 2 channel.

Not looking to spend a lot.
JL Audio Amp

Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Almost any amp will do. Stick to Hifonics if you want it to match. They're pretty good amps. No need to buy JL because honestly you won't notice the difference, and most people don't anyway.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:20 AM
-MN G Crew-

So i can run these speakers off my current amp? Even though its only a 2 channel?

Old 07-01-2009, 02:52 AM
No no, I wouldn't do that. I meant get a matching amp....a 4 channel hifonics. You wanna go with a 4 channel amp...each driver gets its own channel, as in left tweeter on one front left channel, right tweeter on front right channel, left mid on rear left channel, and right mid on right rear channel.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 AM
-MN G Crew-

K well now i need to do more research haha

Old 07-01-2009, 03:05 AM
-MN G Crew-

Old 07-01-2009, 10:25 AM
JBL, hands down. Much better amp. I'd even take it over the Hifonics.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
No no, I wouldn't do that. I meant get a matching amp....a 4 channel hifonics. You wanna go with a 4 channel amp...each driver gets its own channel, as in left tweeter on one front left channel, right tweeter on front right channel, left mid on rear left channel, and right mid on right rear channel.
Why would you put a tweeter to a devoted channel on an amp is besides me...I think it is better to just hook the tweeter up through the crossover and devote the speaker AND tweeter to one channel.

Go with a 4 channel amp if you are installing four speakers...but for just two speakers with tweeters, a 2 channel amp will be plenty. Correct me if I am wrong but that is how most professional instals go.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
I had Phoenix Gold in my previous car, not too expensive and pretty decent sound. But I think I played some Van Halen too loud and blew them the F up.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
-MN G Crew-

Originally Posted by Bucszilla
Why would you put a tweeter to a devoted channel on an amp is besides me...I think it is better to just hook the tweeter up through the crossover and devote the speaker AND tweeter to one channel.

Go with a 4 channel amp if you are installing four speakers...but for just two speakers with tweeters, a 2 channel amp will be plenty. Correct me if I am wrong but that is how most professional instals go.
Thats what im planning to do.

Does anyone know if the Infinity Reference Tweeters will fit in the stock location?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tweeter is 1" and should fit perfectly in the stock location...

Old 07-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Bucszilla

Couple reasons. 1...I guess I wasn't thinking of using the crossover since that's using a passive setup and I refuse to go that route and will only go with an active setup, where I use an external crossover or processor to set my points and slopes.

Also, even if you go through a passive crossover you still have left mid in, right mid in, left tweeter in, left tweeter in and an out for each one of those, thus it still goes to it's own channel on the amplifier.

If most professional installers do it, then I would not consider them professionals. As mentioned, in terms of setting the soundstage if you want to get advanced with the audio setup, you lose the ability of time alignment. And on a basic level you are messing with a couple things.

1. If using the crossover on the amp, how do you set the low pass and high pass filters if you have a mid or tweeter on 1 channel? you're dealing with a mid range and a tweeter, which have specific purposes when it comes to the frequencies they play. If you use the mids together on one channel and the tweeters on another channel, you lose the ability to balance left and right.

2. Power handling. Tweeters and mids have different power handling...send too much to that tweeter and you'll fry it.

3. Impedence. If the amplifier is rated at say 60w @ 4 ohms for a 2 channel amp, 120w @ 2 ohms, and 240 @ 4 ohms bridge (just an example) and you have a midrange and tweeter on the same channel or even both midranges on one channel, and each midrange is 4 ohms, well, it's like a sub, you either wire it in parallel or in series...wire it in one way, you'll have a total impedence of 1 ohm and that amp is not going to like it, wire it at 8 ohms, you're not getting much power since it's being split, basically you'd be seeing 30w @ 8 ohms and this is for two speakers so you're roughly getting 15w to each speaker...not worth it. That is why you get a 4 channel, put each drive on its own channel so each one gets 60w.

Sometimes you'll have some speakers rated at 2 ohms (the midrange) and the tweeter at 4 ohms...or maybe the mid is 4 ohms and the tweeter is 8 ohms..and it's not good to mix those two together.

I'm no installer, I've seen so called "professional" work done on my previous vehicle and had to fix it....I've even talked to some installers at multiple shops that people go to since they are popular and they are not that knowledgeable when it comes to certain things.

If there was not a purpose for a 4 channel amp, they would not have been created, but there is, and that's so that you have a driver for a component setup on each channel.

What I don't quite understand is this statement you made Go with a 4 channel amp if you are installing four speakers...but for just two speakers with tweeters, a 2 channel amp will be plenty.

Isn't installing two speakers and 2 tweeters installing 4 speakers? I can understand using a 2 channel amp on coaxial speakers, where the tweeter and the mid is one piece, but for a setup that has a mid and tweeter seperately, thats 2 speakers right there....add the pair for left and right and you have 4 speakers, thus the need for a 4 channel amp.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What kinda speakers you all running?