Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Arkon Vent Mount Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2009 | 10:59 AM
|
Arkon Vent Mount Question

I tried searching, but I didn't see anything, so I'm guessing either this was a bad choice since no-one else has it, or no-one cares about this problem.

I got the Arkon Vent Mount for my iPhone, however, the vent is unable to hold up my iPhone and if the vent is basically pointing down the face of the phone is pointing towards the floor too much.

Does anyone have this vent mount holder, if so, how did you keep the vent from going down?

Right now I shoved a couple folded business cards into the bottom of the vent and its surround, but it looks like trash and I'd like something more perminant.

Again sorry if this has been discussed already, just point me to that thread. Thanks in advance

Old 07-17-2009 | 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by StevenK
I tried searching, but I didn't see anything, so I'm guessing either this was a bad choice since no-one else has it, or no-one cares about this problem.

I got the Arkon Vent Mount for my iPhone, however, the vent is unable to hold up my iPhone and if the vent is basically pointing down the face of the phone is pointing towards the floor too much.

Does anyone have this vent mount holder, if so, how did you keep the vent from going down?

Right now I shoved a couple folded business cards into the bottom of the vent and its surround, but it looks like trash and I'd like something more perminant.

Again sorry if this has been discussed already, just point me to that thread. Thanks in advance
I had the same problem with my vent mount. What I did was similiar to what you did. I tucked in dark gray weather stripping foam and jam it into the bottom of the vent. No need to put any on the side. Then use a flat head screwdriver and just push it in and so it's hidden. So basically that vent is not movable. It's been like that for 4 years now I think and no problem. If I ever want the vent rolling again I'll have to take the foam out.

Old 07-17-2009 | 02:26 PM
|
I was a bit concerned doing something like that because I'm unsure how I would get that back out if I sold the car or something.

I had thought about maybe drilling a small hole in the bottom of the vent (with it pointing upwards) and putting a small plastic dowel or something in, that way I can just remove the dowel if I want to use the vent normally, just wasn't sure exactly how to get the dowel to stay in.

Old 07-17-2009 | 03:16 PM
I was a bit concerned doing something like that because I'm unsure how I would get that back out if I sold the car or something.

I had thought about maybe drilling a small hole in the bottom of the vent (with it pointing upwards) and putting a small plastic dowel or something in, that way I can just remove the dowel if I want to use the vent normally, just wasn't sure exactly how to get the dowel to stay in.
There are too many things in life to worry about than the car vent. Everything in a car can be taken apart. I am sure it's reachable when I really need to take the foam out. Or I'll just jam it inside till it falls in.

Old 07-17-2009 | 03:34 PM
|
Sounds like a plan, I'll pick up some of that rubberish foam stuff and give it a try, thanks for the idea Mikeee

Old 07-17-2009 | 03:45 PM
Sounds like a plan, I'll pick up some of that rubberish foam stuff and give it a try, thanks for the idea Mikeee
No problem. When you do it, just jam it in on one end or the middle. You just need to tuck it in a little and let it stay on that edge. So when you need to take it out next time just use a long screw driver or hanger and pull it back out.