Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Questions about Audio system...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Questions about Audio system...

Hi guys,

I've been a member here for a while... found it to be a great place to research infiniti vehicles whenever I considered buying one. Thankfully, I just now got to purchase my first infiniti. Hence please excuse my "newbie" question(s).

I recently purchased a 2007 Infiniti G35X (Navigation Pkg, Wood Trim Pkg, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg).

Thanks to the Navi in front, I have the 6-Disc CD changes in the trunk with a CD slot in the console which I am guessing is just your basic CD player for a single CD.

Here are my questions pertaining to the car's audio system specifically:

1) This is going to sound really idiotic but I am unable to make the single CD slot in the console accept a CD! I try to slide a CD in but it doesn't pull it in. I have tried pushing/forcing a CD in further than I would have to in a CD player but nothing; the CD player does not accept and pull it in. I have hit the Eject button several (dozen) times thinking maybe there is something in there- NOTHING. When I hit the CD/Aux button, the vehicle refers straight to the trunk-mounted 6-CD changer and if that is empty, it says "NO CD..." Ideas?

2) How do I rip the music off of the CD's I have in the CD-changer? They are your usual Audio CDs and not MP3s or anything.

3) What is the MAX size a CompactFlash Card can be for the '07 G35x? I want to get one but don't know if there is a size limitation as to how large of a card the car will accept/read at the most.

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
take it back to the dealer. you should be able to put a cd in the dash. It will rip (download if you either push the button for record or set up your system to automatically download cds when they are put in the in dash cd player) it will not download from your trunk cd player.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
you have to hit the load button first on a 5 or 6 disc changer before it will take em in

Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by pinkii
take it back to the dealer. you should be able to put a cd in the dash. It will rip (download if you either push the button for record or set up your system to automatically download cds when they are put in the in dash cd player) it will not download from your trunk cd player.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure.

Do you have any idea what size Compact Flash card it'll accept? I guess the largest size it will accept? I'd like to get a 4-8GB one at least but don't want to waste my money on it if the car won't even detect it.

Looked through the manual but saw no mention of max size.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
you have to hit the load button first on a 5 or 6 disc changer before it will take em in
I have the navi pkg so my disc changer is in the trunk. That works fine; I have 6 CDs in there right now. The issue I am having is with the single-CD player in the dash. That is apparently where the car can rip music off of CD's as well.

I know that the trunk mounted CD Changer only plays Audio CDs, but can the in-dash CD player play MP3s?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM
* * * UPDATE * * *

So I took the car to the dealership and they said they were going to replace the CD player.

One day later (I'm out of town) my cousin picks up the car for me and says it works like a charm... except my BT settings are gone, as are my navigation locations/address book. Also, when I bought the car it had an XM subscription on it from the previous owner/dealership. Well all of a sudden that is gone as well.

My question is, did they replace the ENTIRE console/system/unit??? I mean everything works fine and all but I just thought it was strange that they would have to replace everything instead of just the CD player.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Kross
Do you have any idea what size Compact Flash card it'll accept? I guess the largest size it will accept? I'd like to get a 4-8GB one at least but don't want to waste my money on it if the car won't even detect it.

Looked through the manual but saw no mention of max size.
I'd love to see the answer to this as well. From looking through the manual, looks like max number of songs is ~500, so I guess if I convert from size/song average to what that equated to for 500 songs I'd have the answer?

From a quick look, I'm pretty sure this means 2gig might work, but 4 would absolutely take 512 songs no problem.

Last edited by G354me; 08-20-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by G354me
I'd love to see the answer to this as well. From looking through the manual, looks like max number of songs is ~500, so I guess if I convert from size/song average to what that equated to for 500 songs I'd have the answer?

From a quick look, I'm pretty sure this means 2gig might work, but 4 would absolutely take 512 songs no problem.
Just used a 4GB card and it worked like a charm. I actually didn't even format it or anything. Just dragged and dropped MP3 songs organized in folders (folder name = Artist). When I right-click on the card on my PC the file system shows up as "Raw" (instead of FAT or FAT32).

When I put it in the car, it recognizes it and I can cycle to it using the Aux/Disc button. It shows me all the folders organized Alphabetically, and then I just pick the folder (artist) I want to listen to and select the songs in there.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Interesting about the 4gb cards and 500 song issue. My wifes 2007 G35 sedan had some issues recognizing some songs too. I got her a 16gb card and she put all her music on it. Car didnt recognize all the songs though. We looked in the manual but there was not much info on the size limit. What I did was organnize her music and that helped a lot. She had some albums in 2-3 sub folders under the artists name and apparently the car didnt like that. So I just made the artist folder and put all the mp3's directly uner that without album sub folders and it worked. I havent counted the exact number of songs on there but it has to be more than 500. I dont know the used space either so I will have to look into that too and update this post.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Kross

One day later (I'm out of town) my cousin picks up the car for me and says it works like a charm... except my BT settings are gone, as are my navigation locations/address book. Also, when I bought the car it had an XM subscription on it from the previous owner/dealership. Well all of a sudden that is gone as well.

My question is, did they replace the ENTIRE console/system/unit??? I mean everything works fine and all but I just thought it was strange that they would have to replace everything instead of just the CD player.

Dealerships usually remove any current sat radio subscriptions when you purchase the car, I'm surprised it was even in there to begin with. For example, my G35 had Sirius when I test drove it and as I was walking out of the dealership the salesman said I would have to call Sirius and renew the subscription with my own information. I doubt that would have anything to do with the removal of the stereo system.

And my car didn't have factory navigation so I don't have a lot of knowledge in that area. But if the BT/Navi information stores in the cd player unit and they replaced the cd player, there's your problem. If it stores somewhere else, could disconnecting the battery for a period of time cause this info to be lost?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
siruis/xm work off of a unique radio number

each radio/tuner has its own number

you might check with siruis/xm and see what number they have and compare it to what you have