Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

removal of satelite radio antenna?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 03:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
removal of satelite radio antenna?!

I got a g35 coupe with xm radio because the only black 6mt coupe had it.... i never had it connected cause i dont listen to the radio. Would it be possible to take the antenna off the top of the car until i want to sell it and then put it back on? I just would rather not have it on for aestetic purposes.... im sure that i should do it soon if i decide to do it so that the paint will match and stuff under it.... but is this realistic or should i jsut leave it? Its not really a big deal to me... but if its not that hard to take off and wont be a problem... i would like it off. Also would an AVN 2454 work with the xm radio from the factory?

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 08-06-2004, 07:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: removal of satelite radio antenna?!

It's not terribly difficult to remove the external antenna. Whether you'll be able to use it again though... It has an adhesive layer underneath the antenna and the wire cover. Be careful not to let it slide around when you're removing it since the metal magnet will scratch the paint.

I took mine off using dental floss (to release some of the adhesive and then pulling up/back. I left the wire weatherstripping that runs left-to-right at the top of the rear windshield.

I don't think the XM tuner would work with anything but the stock HU. If it would work with anything, it'd be a Clarion HU.

Also, if you really want to put an antenna back on when you sell, Grubbs sells them for a mere $30.00. So go ahead and take the sucker off.