Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G35 Coupe Line Out Converter Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe Line Out Converter Question

I am about to add an amp and sub to my Coupe and was hoping that some of you Coupe car audio experts could answer a question for me (hopefully not a dumb one) -- when I splice into the Bose head unit output that is running to that great Bose amp in the trunk to install my Line Out Converter, does it matter whether I splice into the front vs. the rear? Is one more appropriate than the other? Is a different signal being sent to one vs. the other?

Also, I bought an LOC off of eBay. It was an off brand (Innovatek), but looked decent - got it for $10. Anyway, it has signal adjusters (gains) on the RCA jack end. Do most LOCs have these? What exactly are they going to do to the signal going to the amp?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Re: G35 Coupe Line Out Converter Question

i believe you splice into the front. thats what i did, one of my buddies did the same and said if u run it to the rear, its losing more of a signal. i have the Rockford loc and it works fine and it has the gains, mine are half way up, not sure if i bring it all up what will happen. im no pro so wait for someone else to answer your question and if im wrong, then ill change my setup

Old 08-18-2004, 12:56 AM

I guess its your own preference but I would suggest for a sub you steal from the rear. You can use your fader to help manage the amount of bass. Thats what us broke people do when we can't afford amps with seperate bass control=).

The gain on the LOC is because now amps can accept from 1-4W signals (larger then 4W now?). Check the specs on your amp and LOC for proper settings.

-JustICE

Old 08-18-2004, 09:17 AM

i spliced mine from the rear cus i figured that the rear signals are sent to my 6x9's already.. it sounds fine.. but then again I have a JL amp which has a built in bass booster as well as LOC so thats double the signal boost.. and most LOC's should have the gain adjuster on the RCA side..

04 6MT DG Coupe: Pop/Z-tube, Nismo Ti Shift, Borla TD Exhaust, UR pulley, 35% Lumar Tint, Custom Box w 10w3v2 w. JL 250/1

Old 08-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With my Navone 774v, the instructions said to splice in as close to the power amplifier as possible.

'03.5 Silver AT Sedan, Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter, Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5, 19" Gram Light 57F Pro's, Hotchkis sways, Borla

Old 08-18-2004, 02:44 PM

actually if you are placing the high-to-low converter between the HU and amp you want to place the LOC as close to the head unit as possible. RCA's are far less susceptible to noise then regular--and even shielded for that matter--speaker wire. This is because the positive (the post in the middle) is contained wtihin the negative (the mesh around the outside of the RCA) So it is difficult for a noise signal to "enter" this system. Unfortunately, this type of wire also introduces a lot of capacitance; however, you have not amplified the signal yet so who gives a rats ****.

-JustICE

Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 PM

Alright fellas - a few say splice into the front and a few say the rear. I would greatly appreciate a few other opinions....guess I could ultimately do both and see if I can tell a difference. Has anyone tried this?

Old 08-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

I also used a Navonne 774V, and I placed my 4 ch. LOC next to my Alpine 5 Ch Amp. Sounds fine, I don't notice a hiss or interference.

2004 G35s 5AT DG/Graphite/Premium/Huper Optik Tint

Old 08-18-2004, 09:35 PM

I think my statement came out wrong. You can place it close to the amp--that is what I did because it was much easier then running RCA's to the back of the car--and have no noise. But I do dispute the claim made by the manual that you should place them close to the amp instead of close to the HU. The proper place to place a LOC is close to the HU to minimize noise inteference for the reasons I stated above. Chances are you will have no problems.

-JustICE

Old 08-18-2004, 09:54 PM

tgenius,

I was thinking about the Alpine MRV-F450, is that the amp you have? What do you think about the power? I was thinking about the MB PCE-216 for my front/rears and the power range is 60-130 watts for the speakers. Do you think this amp is powerful enough (what speakers are you using)?

2003 G35c/5AT/BS-Graphite/Prem/Aero/Splash/NISMO sway bars/JWT Popcharger/Z-Tube/ValentineOne

Old 08-18-2004, 10:28 PM

yep.. that's the exact amp I have.. the V12 450... I love it.. I have JL XR Components in the front and some Eclipse in the rear for fill (sedan) with my Sub channel powering my JL 10W3v2 (a lil underpowered) but it still sounds/hits great. My girlfriend hates it because she has no thump in her V6 03' Accord coupe.

325588-audiofar.jpg

Old 08-18-2004, 10:35 PM

So are you running your sub from the rear outputs coming from the head unit?

Old 08-18-2004, 11:14 PM

my sub is running off a Y off the Rear RCAs. Only problem of course with this is its not independent so as you increase/decrease rear fade and stuff it affects it.. but I like this setup until I finally get a headunit... 50 percent of the work for my headunit is done ya know?

Old 08-19-2004, 06:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does the sedan have a seperate wire for the rear 8" "sub" that comes with it from the factory? If so, would it make sense to tap in there vs. the rear channel because that is a dedicated sub channel?

'03.5 Silver AT Sedan, Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter, Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5, 19" Gram Light 57F Pro's, Hotchkis sways, Borla

Old 08-19-2004, 07:55 AM

unfortunately, the sub doesn't have a set coming from the head unit. The bose amp does it. I thought about that when I told my installer but he showed me and I was like.. yeah... your right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Coupe Line Out Converter Question