Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What Aftermarket Navi to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Anh
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
What Aftermarket Navi to buy?

I'm looking to buy an "in-dash" navigation with atleast radio, cd(mp3), and a USB jack to plug an mp3 player in...touchscreen ofcourse.

I have a few questions about which ones to buy...
- Do I need to do this "double-din" thing I've heard about? (G35 '04 Coupe)
- If not which systems fit I guess you say...the "single-din"?
- If I DO need to do a "double-din" which systems fit there?
- Also if anyone has an aftermarket in-dash navi...which do you have, and would you recommend it?

I'm looking to spend at MAX like $1000

Please and Thank You!

Last edited by Anh; 11-24-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Anh
Well...I see two that I like...one is a double-din....and the other is "single"?

Clarion 2-DIN DVD Multimedia Station w/Navigation & 6.5" Touch Panel Model NX409
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882647064

Or

Clarion DVD Multimedia Station w/Built-in Navigation & 7" Touch Panel Model NZ409
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882647065

They appealed to me because of the price...and although they don't have many reviews...they seem reliable...I do feel more attracted to the non-flippy one though...

Please help with either approving or denying these as possible choices!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anh:

I have the exact same question. I am looking for a quality in-dash GPS receiver for my G35 Coupe. Earlier this year I was considering the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT or AVIC-Z3. Now I'm not too sure due to new models for the '09 holiday season. Keep in mind, the navigation unit itself is expensive, but you also have to take into account:

* A 'double DIN kit'. It's required to replace the stock radio and allow the mounting of a replacement head unit. Search on the forums for more info.
* Pac SWI-X or similar adapter to allow you to retain steering wheel controls
* Antenna adapter
* Harness (xx-7550?)

I found these flagship units and really have a hard time deciding which to choose:

- Alpine IVA-W505/P1 and IVA-W203/P1
- Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT (7") and AVIC-X910BT (Similar to AVIC-F900BT with volume dial)
- Kenwood DNX9140 (7" VGA) and DNX7140 (7" QVGA)
- Eclipse AVN726E
- Clarion NX509
- Any more?

I'm a little confused on *exactly* what I need myself as well. Can anone help with a shopping list and perhaps an opinion on any of the above listed navigation units?

Old 11-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
DNX9140 or DNX8120 if you need to save some money

best all around double din/nav unit ive used

I have used Eclipse (5510,6620)
Pioneer Z3,D3,etc
Panasonic Strada.

None of those really compare. The garmin nav is easily laid out and updates are done yearly.

The Sound options are better than some high end single din decks

They are pricey but they are worth it

Old 11-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Anh
Originally Posted by Accidental
Anh:

I have the exact same question. I am looking for a quality in-dash GPS receiver for my G35 Coupe. Earlier this year I was considering the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT or AVIC-Z3. Now I'm not too sure due to new models for the '09 holiday season. Keep in mind, the navigation unit itself is expensive, but you also have to take into account:

* A 'double DIN kit'. It's required to replace the stock radio and allow the mounting of a replacement head unit. Search on the forums for more info.
* Antenna adapter
* Harness (xx-7550?)

I found these flagship units and really have a hard time deciding which to choose:

- Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT (7") and AVIC-X910BT (Similar to AVIC-F900BT with volume dial)
- Eclipse AVN726E
- Clarion NX509
- Any more?

I'm a little confused on *exactly* what I need myself as well. Can anone help with a shopping list and perhaps an opinion on any of the above listed navigation units?
So wait...the first four things you listed of the REQUIRED parts for a swap...how much is that total? And I looked it up..by I still don't get why a JDM a/c controller is NEEDED....can anyone explain?

Old 11-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ontroller.html

its right on top in the stickys....

you need the harness for the radio, a antenna adapter and a metra kit or JDM kit with ac controller.

You don't need a steering wheel adapter unless you want one

Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Anh
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ontroller.html

its right on top in the stickys....

you need the harness for the radio, a antenna adapter and a metra kit or JDM kit with ac controller.

You don't need a steering wheel adapter unless you want one
Ahh..yeah I'm a total noob....I for totally skimmed right over the part where it told me why I needed it...but after going back and reading every word...I got it

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was originally going to go with the Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, but switched to the Kenwood DNX7140 after getting Bing's input.

Have the JDM DD Kit already. Pac SWI-JACK, harness and adapters on the way.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:58 PM
ntrinsik: I'm looking to install a double DIN navigation unit in my '06 G35 Coupe. It has the dual zone controls. I have seen the 03-04 double DIN kits with the rubber up/down button on a friend's G35 and have been very disappointed. Does the double DIN you ordered for your '05 G35 Coupe have the SAME quality as OEM (i.e. aluminum metal, temperature dial, flush buttons, etc)? Also, where did you get the kit, harness, and adapters?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll take a photo of the double-din kit when I get off work. It looks pretty identical to the OEM finish when I opened it.. I didn't do a side by side comparison though. I'll take a side by side photo if I can get any decent lighting. I got the kit from Tony at Riverside Infiniti and harness/adapters off Amazon.

Edit: Photos below.. no side by side. Too dark.

Last edited by ntrinsik; 11-24-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
I just bought a Kenwood DNX5140 GPS HU with all the wiring fixins' along with the JDM DD Kit from Grubbs. $1k total price, will post pics when completed.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I bought the double din JDM kit, steering wheel adapter, bose adapter, antenna adapter, and wiring adapter and had more than $450 in just parts before the radio..
Then I was told even with the bose adapter the bose system would whine and I had to rewire the entire car.. I scrapped the aftermarket idea and bought the new Garmin 1690 GPS.. It has a GPRS cell card in it and it does all kinds of crazy stuff..

but if you want aftermarket, the Pioneer 910BT is only $699 now and does everything you want..

Old 11-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Accidental
Anh:

* Antenna adapter
* Harness (xx-7550?)

- Eclipse AVN726E
- Clarion NX509
- Any more?

Well i have a DNX9140 and i have to say i love it, i like the voice control so much i barely touch the screen anymore haha

Here is how it looks, (mine is an 06)

anyway if your interrested send me a private message, i could do a vid to show you the various function,

Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ballain
Well i have a DNX9140 and i have to say i love it, i like the voice control so much i barely touch the screen anymore haha

Here is how it looks, (mine is an 06)

anyway if your interrested send me a private message, i could do a vid to show you the various function,
Ill have this pic for my car soon, like tomorrow, waiting on Amazon .

What unit do i need to retain my OEM sattelite radio (sirius) or would it be cheaper to buy the sirius box and have the account transferred?

Old 11-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by 06g35meister
Ill have this pic for my car soon, like tomorrow, waiting on Amazon .

What unit do i need to retain my OEM sattelite radio (sirius) or would it be cheaper to buy the sirius box and have the account transferred?
Well the aftermarket unit won`t work with your oem box, however, the antenna will, just take off the connector off the antenna tip , and plug it in directly, still fits tight so no problem there,

I got my sirius universal (SC-C1) tuner for 49$ at future shop / best buy

Also you will need a adapter to plus it in The Kenwood Ca-SR20V

i would say buy the box, specially that its not very expensive, works really well too,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What Aftermarket Navi to buy?