Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

PAC video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAC video

Had a PAC video--video input for nav screen--installed yesterday. If you are looking into something like this I would highly recommend waiting a few for this unit. So far it has worked flawlessly. Thanks JT and Carl. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow if I can borrow Drewer's camera.

-JustICE

Old 09-01-2004, 12:50 AM
Re: PAC video

do you know roughly how much the unit will run?

04 G35C 6mt/aero kit/nav/premium

Old 09-01-2004, 12:57 AM

I'm not sure.

-JustICE

Old 09-01-2004, 09:27 AM

I will be contacting my PAC rep today to get more details on the unit. I hope to stock it as soon as it is released... I will let you all know what I find out.

It looks like a great option for those who don't need the multiple inputs/outputs of AV Electronic's unit. It's not exactly as clean of an install (requires cutting of 5 wires I think) - but it is a great unit for those who need just one video input.

---------------------------------
**** Official PAC Aux Input Dealer!!! ****
SWI-X units available also!

Navi-Conversion Kits at Discounted Pricing
*Authorized AV Electronic Dealer*

Old 09-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Sound Advice

Very nice, I hope to see it soon! I will stock those too as soon as it's available.

Do you hear me?

Old 09-01-2004, 11:25 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It looks like a great option for those who don't need the multiple inputs/outputs of AV Electronic's unit. It's not exactly as clean of an install (requires cutting of 5 wires I think) - but it is a great unit for those who need just one video input.

<hr></blockquote>

You can just use a switch before the PAC unit for multiple inputs. Switch costs next to nothing. Outputs are really not a problem because it is only the nav screen that has a "tricky" input. Other screens would already have composite input.

-JustICE

Old 09-01-2004, 05:50 PM

I spoke to PAC!

The units should be released "within the month"... That's good news for us all. They aren't speaking about a suggested retail price (yet) but my thoughts are $350 - $375 or so... I think.

Don't hold me to it though... From past experience, MSRP on PAC is shifty...

If a customer needs multiple monitor outputs, than AV Electronic is the way to go (for someone like me). But for most users, the new PAC unit is a excellent choice...

I will once again have one of the first orders in on these... I will keep you all posted.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:44 PM

If a customer needs multiple monitor outputs, than AV Electronic is the way to go

<hr></blockquote>

Not to sound rude but even at your estimated retail price why would someone pay an extra $150 when they could just buy a simple input selection switch and the pac video for much cheaper?

-JustICE

Old 09-01-2004, 06:59 PM

Hey everyone,

I am not sure exactly what we are all talking about here, but without buying anything extra, my installer was able make it so when I hit my satellite button it switches both the video/audio to the dvd. BTW, for those of you who remember my pictures I posted way back in early August. The system looks great now, but still in the process of being worked on. There are some minor things that weren't working as planned. Still waiting for it to be completed .. if you can believe that. They have had my car since 1st week of June, and I've had no g35 since March 7 when the drunken bastard ruined my car.

Still waiting and still hoping,

Chino

Old 09-01-2004, 07:40 PM

No problem. The AV unit will/can be used in a different way. I personally would pay the extra amount to take advantage of my headrest LCDs. The AV unit would offer:

1.) Multiple Monitor outputs. This means if you have more than one video source and multiple monitors in the vehicle, any one of the monitors in your vehicle (up to 4 I believe) can display a different source - at the same time.

2.) Wireless RF remote: You can use the remote anywhere in the car and the receiver will still get the commands. You can independently switch video sources for each monitor from the RF remote.

3.) Stereo Sound for all inputs and outputs. The PAC unit is a singe video switch only.

4.) FM Modulation: The AV Electronic unit has built in FM modulated sound. Perhaps not the best in quality, but it does fine for most users.

For a user like me, AV is the way to go. I have a Xbox already. I may want to add a seperate DVD player and a TV tuner as well. With my 3 screens in the car - It would just make sense that someone can play video games on one screen, while another passenger is watching a movie... I can still have my Navigation routing on the front screen at the same time.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:42 PM

Chino:
I may have missed your install... Who is doing it? I'm interested !!

Old 09-01-2004, 08:06 PM

Had a PAC video--video input for nav screen--installed yesterday. If you are looking into something like this I would highly recommend waiting a few for this unit. So far it has worked flawlessly. Thanks JT and Carl. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow if I can borrow Drewer's camera.

<hr></blockquote>

Hey no problem J. Let me know if you have any questions. If anyone needs one, let me know.

JT
jtaudioacc.com

JT Audio & Accessories
118 S. Loara Street
Anaheim, Ca. 92802
(714)817-8282

Old 09-01-2004, 10:05 PM

So will PAC offer the video and audio now?
I am wanting to add a PS2, maybe a TV tuner and hopefully use my speakers. Will APC have the products to do this?

<font color=black>2003 G35 Coupe, Blk/Blk</font color=black>
<font color=red>Frisco, TX</font color=red>
TXREFI G35

Old 09-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hehe, I am just cheap cheap cheap, so I'll go with whichever video device with the lowest possible price installed. I am not sure why it would cost so much money to simply put a switch input into a RGB screen..... Total parts probably cost less than $50.

CPV35 G35C Maliblue

Old 09-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Sound Advice

IkSardarG, all due respect and note I have not seen the PAC unit yet but I think there may be some really simple solutions to all your concerns.

1.) Multiple Monitor outputs. This means if you have more than one video source and multiple monitors in the vehicle, any one of the monitors in your vehicle (up to 4 I believe) can display a different source - at the same time.

Most headrest systems have two inputs in the brain of the units so this should not be a problem. And a simple video switcher would solve the problem. Also for that many monitors I would recommend a video amp anyway and that would give more outputs if you need them.

2.) Wireless RF remote: You can use the remote anywhere in the car and the receiver will still get the commands. You can independently switch video sources for each monitor from the RF remote.

Many dvd players have the remote eye for you to achieve this and switching video sources can be done with a push of the button on the screen.

3.) Stereo Sound for all inputs and outputs. The PAC unit is a singe video switch only.

You would still get stereo out of the dvd player to your input to the system via fm mod or aux input. Unless you wire it mono.

4.) FM Modulation: The AV Electronic unit has built in FM modulated sound. Perhaps not the best in quality, but it does fine for most users.

Sorry, I have to disagree on this one. FM Mod sounds terrible, especially for video in most systems. WIth either the PAC unit or the AV Electonic piece I would strongly recommend the AUX input module.

Do you hear me?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PAC video