Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Kenwood DNX 7140 Installed - Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenwood DNX 7140 Installed - Review

So, 11 1/2 hours, a few cups of coffee, some bourbon, and a few chopped up fingers, it's finally done. I actually finished Saturday night/Sunday morning. I'm just now getting around to posting this review and pics. I installed the Kenwood HU and XM satellite radio kit. I tried to do the PAC SWI, but it did not work. I got tired of trying to install. I'm sending it back to Crutchfield. I'll try again later on - maybe when it gets a little warmer.

So far, I'm enjoying the Kenwood. A few things to note:
1. The trim ring does not work with the the 2005-2007 JDM dash kit
2. If you look at my pics below, you'll see one of them has the GPS and XM antennas in the front dash above the clock. They work fine there. My car was still parked in the garage, and the XM came in loud and clear.
3. If you're going to change the startup image on the HU, you can ONLY do so through the USB port. I made the mistake of tucking mines behind the dash, and now I'll have to remove the HU to change the startup image. You have 2 options. Either do it before you tuck it behind the dash, or make the USB port accessible. When I remove the HU to do the SWI Jack, I'll access the USB then, and leave it somewhere easy to get to.
4. I tried updating the Garmin software to 3.2, but it didn't work. I think I may have found the issue. My Blackberry was still powered on. I turned off Bluetooth, but I think the phone itself needs to be turned off, or nowhere near the vehicle.

As far as the HU's performance, the Ipod integration is wonderful, and extremely fast. The Kenwood shows album artwork, plays video from the Ipod, does an album list, playlists, artists, genres, etc. Everything your Ipod shows. It also allows you to search alphabetically by Album name. If you touch on the album artowrk icon, it goes to a blue video screen. I haven't figured out how to reverse this, other than resetting the HU.

The DVD plaback is great as well. Outside of using the remote, I have to figure out how to get the DVD controls to show up on the touch screen.

The GPS is spot on. Updating to the 3.2 software version is very necessary. The GPS screen freezes on the update very easy. The screen will freeze, but the audio will keep going. You'll also need to tweak the GPS audio settings. If you keep the stock settings, and you're playing music from your Ipod, cd, usb drive, etc, you'll hear the sound cut out of the music. This can be modified.

The sound setting options are numerous. You can fine tune your sound to your liking. The sound levels are lower than stock, but even at the max of 35, the sound is loud and clear, and not distorted.

If you're going to do XM radio, make sure you call XM (800 XMRADIO) to activate your unit. They will provide you with a 3 month trial period.

The Kenwood has a button color that closely matches the G35's interior dash lights, so you can have a more fluid look on the interior of your vehicle.

I can't think of anything else. If I come across anything - especially since it's only been 2 days sice I installed, I will provide an update. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

My next mods will be:
Trying the PAC SWI again
Changing the image on the head unit at stattup
Window Tint
Slotted/Cross drilled rotors
Debating on aftermarket wheels, but I love the wheels

Need help, let me know!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
If you have problems with the PAC-SWI, call the support number. They were quite fast at diagnosing when I missed grounding the reference wire from the vehicle. Like 2min on the phone.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll revisit the PAC SWI at another time - maybe when I change the start up image on the head unit.