Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

donpisto's G35 Sedan Build Log

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:39 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Any updates?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
damn how quiet is your car going to be :P

Old 06-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Not really. Got the driver side window aligned and the window is working properly so I guess that's an update. I did put 2 layers of liquid deadener (spectrum) on the opposite side of the metal piece that covers the door shell and on the door panel itslef.

Gonna give that a few days to fully cure before I put on the luxury liner pro that will really eliminate road noise. Right now I've noticed a significant difference already. With mid-bass heavy songs the driver (which is pretty much fully deadened) has very slight rattle on the outside due to something that has to do with the door handle. Seems to be at certain frequencies. The passenger, which is not done, rattles constantly.

I plan to make it as quiet as possible down the line. Eventually I'll deaden the floor and that will reduce a ton of road noise. If I ever have the engine pulled out, I'll deaden the firewall as well, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Oh wait, I guess I didn't update the pics... so I guess there are some updates, lol.

Door completed with Damplifier Pro:

Overkill Pro add to improve midbass:

Spectrum & Rubberized Undercoating Added to get hard to reach areas:

Damplifier Pro on metal covering door shell:

Spectrum on metal covering door shell (facing door panel):

I'll have more updated pics this weekend when I'm done adding the LLP.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:53 PM
UPDATES:

- Added the Luxury Liner Pro on driver side.
- Passenger side still needs deadening.
- Wired amp through the back of the head unit for most output voltage.

Here's a couple pics, but I have more work to do. Gonna see about hooking up some mids and another amp for them. If all goes well, I'll put everything back together. Found out the cheap Kicker subs I got off craigslist are messed up, so I'm in the market for some other budget subs. Wish I hadn't sold some of my other ones

Rather than using a small little LOC I'm using an Audiocontrol LC6i. Got it from a friend and might do some EQ/XO settings with an add on unit, but we'll see. I just need some bass right now. It's been too long without it.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Testing out the Stinger voltage meter. Will be placed somewhere up front that is visible. Will be very useful once I get the full audio setup going on.

A comparison of the Tara Labs RCA ends I will be using as opposed to the Stinger RCA's I used to test out. Picture doesn't do these RCA ends any justice. They're black chrome with gold tips. Nice and solid. Well worth the $5 each price tag I paid several years back.

Gonna test out the front speakers tomorrow with the 2nd amp. Also gonna install a ground distribution block under the hood and in the trunk to make the install easier and cleaner. Probably will do the same for the power wire.

I will also mount the battery in a better location, just gotta figure out where exactly and see if I have enough slack for the wiring.

Last edited by The Stimulation; 07-05-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I just tested the front speakers and they work with no probs. Now gotta take off the door panels, build some baffles for the mids, and somehow mount the tweeters. Gonna first work on getting the trunk setup up like I want to and then worry that. Hopefully I can get it done in 6 hours. Knowing my @ss, I work slow and always run into issues.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
How much does all that Deadener weight?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:32 PM
The deadener mat, 80 sq. ft. is 50 lbs. I forgot how much I used on the doors, but on the trunk it was about 12 sq. ft. I'm guessing I added about 10 lbs to the driver door, give or take a few pounds. I'll probably have about 150 lbs of deadener when I'm done. But that's including all the doors, roof, floor, trunk, quarter panels, wheel wells, fenders, rear deck, and rear seat.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm just about done wiring everything up. I need to order more speaker wire so I'll have to put the project on hold and can't use the new mids and tweeters yet. But all I'll have to do is run the wires through the doors and to the crossovers in the trunk.

I'm going to finish putting back everything together and run the wires for the voltage meter as well. Should get done within the next couple of hours.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:44 AM
Long ass day. Got pretty much everything wired up. Since I need more wire I'll make baffles for the mids and mount them and the tweeters when I get wire. All that I have to do after that is mount the crossovers in the trunk, hook them up and do some quick wiring to the amps and I'll be done. Still on the search for some decent subs. Anyway, here are pics of what I got done today.

Starting off.....with an empty trunk.

Mounted the battery.

Mounted the amps and LC6i.

Made some RCA's with Tara Labs RCA ends.

Mounted a ground distribution block next to the battery.

Mounted a power distribution block below the sub amp.

Moved onto the head unit and rather than twisting the wires and using electrical tape, I used butt connectors for a clean install.

Ran wires from the LC6i to the Stinger voltage meter and mounted it in a location that wasn't distracting to me or the outside and still visible. Batteries run at 14.5 - 14.8V

Hooked up the wires coming from the battery under the hood and the ones for the amps.

Done....for now.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Got a little more work done yesterday....here's the progress.

Ran the wires for the voltage meter and the amplifier remote wire from the OEM head unit to the LC6i.

Installed crossovers and hooked them up to amp.

LC6i all wired up.

Next I need to run wires through the door and to the trunk for the mids and tweeters, make some baffles for the mids, and modify the window sail for the tweeters, maybe do a little fiberglassing. Still need to deaden the passenger door. Just about done with this setup. I think I'll also get a sub gain control so I can adjust it when I don't want much bass on some of those dreadful mornings.

Also got in on a pre order for some new subs coming out, gonna go with a pair of 12's for the time being.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
sick sick sick!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Here's hoping that your stock headunit doesn't go out 5min after your install is complete!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:53 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Wow, really getting going on this, Levon! Looks good! Which components were you going to run up front?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: donpisto's G35 Sedan Build Log