Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Alpine Type R 12 or JL 10w6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pic

OK this is the pic of the vinyl stretched. I can take another one if this one is too dark, it was after dark.

Last edited by gl35; 04-02-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: pic didn't come thru
Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 PM
A few more pics in bettre light

Old 04-02-2010, 09:05 PM
DAMN! that **** is HUGE, i bet you get a good **** load of bass out of that LOL!!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I have a 12 w6 in a custom fiberglass enclosure...it starts where the spare tire jack used to be, just fills in that whole corner..I get plenty of bass and I have my whole trunk!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah, it really bumps. considering I am only pushing a 250 watt JL amp! You would be amazed. Mind you I have an 8 volt pre amp, and I dynomatted the inside of the box.

I will tell what, getting groceries at Costco AINT happening! LOL

But it does look good. the vinyl covering it (just stapled on) made a HUGE difference in how professional it looks, and with the vinyl tucked into where the sub sits, it helped to seal the enclosure all the more. I kinda want my trunk back, but it has enough spl to get you going, yet not deafen me any more than I am already.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 PM
MkConklin Post a few pics...

Old 04-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
10w6 and 10w7 are completely different. Neither the type or nor the w6 get near it. If you're looking at price, then there isn't much of a difference between the 10 w6 and 12 type r. The 10w7 is pricey, and I'd recommend other subs personally. JL is a good brand but there are a ton of others out there that I'm sure you haven't heard of, but they are much better, and usually a good amount cheaper.

The W7 is not a sub made for overall output. It is for pure clean, undistorted sound. If you listen to rap and like it very loud, you are better off with the W3 or W6 series. I worked high end car audio for many years and there is a big difference between subs made for SQ and subs made for overall output.

As far as JL goes, they are still one of my favorite overall subs. There are better SQ and better sheer ouput but for a good, in-between, all music sub they are one of my favorite. Just for reference, I've owned most offerings from Fosgate, Apline, Kicker, JL, Focal, Boston, Orion, Xtant and a few others. I was a big fan of the Boston G5 series and the JL W6's. Right now I have a pair of 12W6's in sealed fiberglass enclosures powered off a 1000/1 black series.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:38 PM
...we're talking SQ, and nobody brought up ID, Arc, CDT, Rainbow, Diamond?!?

I'm almost shocked. An IDQv2 (and even v3) owns any W6v2, Type X, or any other mainstream 'flagship SQ sub' you'll put up against it. For... half the price, depending on where you buy it.

The Type R is the ultimate bang for the buck well rounded sub, no contest there. But don't expect low freq extension and transient response to touch that of a W6v2.

As far as amps go, Alpine's lineup doesn't even go near their older ('02-03) V12s if you look at boards/internals...

Pure SQ subbass setup for 480$:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...m_VGA6002.aspx
http://www.woofersetc.com/p6224/IDQ1...-Subwoofer.htm

...small-to-med sealed on the IDQ, efficiency a little out the window with the Van Gogh. But OMG would it **** all over any Alpine (and most JL) setup any day of the week, should you only consider SQ and play IASCA CDs.

My $0.02.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Ah the old V12's. I had those for a while. Got rid of them for PPI PC series, the old snowboard looking ones. The were great.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:21 PM
The chrome PC amps were DA SEXINESS.

After PPI was done with the DCX series, i.e after Directed took over them/Orion/Viper, I lost faith in car audio manufacturers. Always referred to ROE's amp guts page for board verification...

My cousin's still got a true HCCA Orion beast from '99-00 lying in his guest room... saliva on the floor, every time I enter the room.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Nothing from JL's line is strictly about output. Their subs were all designed for clarity, but the W7 has much more output capabilities than a W6. That said, for those that like rap, the W7 would be more of the proper route to go for output, but again...if we're taking cost into that, then there are other routes to go from.

Only reason why I ever considered JL, and only JL line I would ever run is the oldschool subs. The new ones don't compare in any way. I pretty much had a car audio shop in my room at one point...enough different amps and subs to have a different setup each week for a few months. I miss those days.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Hmmm just saw OP's "i listen to rap a lot" comment on the 1st page, sorry for bringing SQ propaganda in here...

1 X beefy, ported SPL oriented 10 will do the trick, I'm sure. Model a 38-40Hz tuning point (44-45Hz if you plan on doing the occasional SPL burps for fun sake) for a single SDC2.510 using WinISD or BassBoxPro and you're all set. Ensure you have a decent amp w/ ~750w rms on tap.

Don't even your know what your budget is... if you can afford DD, IA or AP, then go for it. But Audioque is as 'budget-SPL' as it gets. More throw than the Type R, bigger VC I believe; less risk of having the driver go thermal should you induce clipping in the signal.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=22

$130, direct... that's 'Independent crushing Mainstream' for you, my friend.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:20 PM
^^^

Don't know you, but you know your sh*t. Very good recommendations. Mach 5 SPL is another pretty budget sub for SPL output. The IXL has a good balance...list can go on. Audioque is definitely a great choice.

I just wish TC Sounds didn't have such a high price hike. I freakin miss my 5200-18. Shoulda never gotten rid of it...4hp motor = BEAST! To be honest though, I felt my RL-p 18 had a smoother low-end response than the 5200, but the 5200 got lower and you can notice it more.

One sub I truly do miss was a protoype frankemoofer by TC Sounds. Underhung 10" sub, took 750w in a .8 cu. ft. sealed enclosure with air leaks and still managed to pull a 135.x on the TL. Too bad I wasn't quick enough to lower the volume playing a sine sweep and volume was up too much...at 20 Hz, my nervousness lead to the death of that sub. Such an amazing 10.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 PM
I knew that username sounded familiar... I know you from a couple yrs ago, Sir.

http://www.caraudioforum.com/search....archid=1230386

...sold the 'car audio shop' in the FS section?

You had a TC5200? Seriously? I contemplated a small sealed TC3000 for about a year, and then they disappeared from the face of the Earth... only to come back as AudioPulse which we all hate for jacked up prices.

Is SoundSplinter still in business? Last time I heard, they still had a couple RL-i & RL-S subs for clearance sale, but RL-p's were long gone because they suited 90% of people's tastes. Awesome subs.

"Frankemoofer", I'll look it up hehe sounds exclusive to say the least...

I'm still running 2 X IDMAX12 v3's, bought them in '05. I miss my old Brahma15 (where the F is Dan Wiggins when you need him up & running?!??), since my Winter sealed 15 is now a *sigh* 16Ov.2 I bought used.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 PM
the link to CAF does not work Says no matches. What's your username? I'm sure it'll ring a bell.

Yeah I had a TC-5200, LMS-4000, TC-3000, Epic 10's, TC2+, TC9, and a crap load of other TC made subs. As for SoundSplinter, yeah, what you said is what the case is.

The frankenmoofer is just what i named it because I don't know what it was. I just know it was an underhung driver made by TC Sounds with an ugly barf green motor.

Oh man, the Brahma is a beast, I loved it. I had a 12 but the damn tinsel lead snapped. I love the IDMAX's...one of my favorite drivers. I wanna pick up a pair of IDW-18's but due to the rarity, 900 bucks for a pair of drivers is something I can't justify spending at the moment. If it were 3 or 4 years ago, I'd be all over it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Alpine Type R 12 or JL 10w6