Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Audio Controls Not Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Audio Controls Not Working

I have been searching the site and it seems I have the opposite problem. My steering wheel controls went out the other day. Cruise still works. Do these things go out often? I looked for a fuse a couldnt find one that made sense. I just want to know if I need a new unit before I pull the steering wheel apart to check the connections. If any one has had this problem please enlighten me
04 G35X

Old 06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Cruise is on a different circuit, the audio controls are directly connected to the headunit.

Without you getting a multimeter and testing, I can't say if it's the headunit circuit to determine what the controls are doing, or the controls themselves that went bad.

Get a multimeter, and you can check the resistance of the steering wheel controls to see if it's them:

Page 33 of this manual:
http://www.psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/coupe/2004/av.pdf

The following users liked this post:
Crzyazzpolak717 (05-05-2013)
Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 AM
I'm having the same problem. Started with the controls sometimes working, sometimes not. Holding the station/volume switch up/down would get it working again for awhile, but now nothing.

What are possible causes/fixes?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I'd say the problem is likely in the radio, since the steering wheel controls are just switches and resistors, which last darn near forever, while the radio itself is very prone to multiple types of failure.

Fix - get an aftermarket radio installed.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by FamousG
I'm having the same problem. Started with the controls sometimes working, sometimes not. Holding the station/volume switch up/down would get it working again for awhile, but now nothing.

What are possible causes/fixes?
I have the same exact issues...Looks like I'll be installing a double din soon

Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the same problem on my 05 at coupe. I've noticed that if I turn the wheel all the way to one side the controls work but not when then wheel is straight. Could it be false connection with wires inside the column?

Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 AM
I solved my problem!!! I changed my clock spring. I noticed my horn stopped working then after looking it up I found a new one on ebay for about $140. The clock spring is what transfers signal from the steering wheel to the column through a ribbon cable wrapped inside to allow the wheel to turn while still having connectivity. After I installed it my volume controls worked and my horn also works. I hope this helps. theres a video on youtube that shows how to replace the clock spring -->

The following 2 users liked this post by dj_sasquash:
Urbanengineer (02-22-2014), Wrathernaut (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by dj_sasquash
I solved my problem!!! I changed my clock spring. I noticed my horn stopped working then after looking it up I found a new one on ebay for about $140. The clock spring is what transfers signal from the steering wheel to the column through a ribbon cable wrapped inside to allow the wheel to turn while still having connectivity. After I installed it my volume controls worked and my horn also works. I hope this helps. theres a video on youtube that shows how to replace the clock spring --> .
Thanks for following up on this rather old post. I hope there's a cheaper way to replace it than $140 though.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Thanks for following up on this rather old post. I hope there's a cheaper way to replace it than $140 though.
I have seen used ones go for $65. I just wanted a new one. One thing I forgot to mention is after replacing the clock spring the steering angle sensor has to be reset. I freaked out when I started the car and took off the brakes applied then vdc and slip came up on the dash. I read that you can have it reset at a pep boys or an alignment shop. Ill get back on here to inform on how I resolved the reset issue.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
THREAD REVIVAL

Hello guys,

Old thread.

I'm having the same problems, had a question. There is a bargain for which I can get a clockspring from a 03 G35 coupe. My question is if they are interchangeable with my clockspring? I have an 06 g35 sedan.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
First, thanks to Dj_sasquash for putting up the video on how to replace the clock spring.I would like your guys opinion.
Here is the issue and I'm wondering if I should just go for changing the clock spring. I have a 2005 G35 Sedan with over 225,000 miles. So some time back about a year or two ago I lost my horn when pushing on the steering wheel, then 1 or 2 of the audio controls for the radio stopped working, then my cruise control would work as long as I didn't turn on a blinker to change lanes. (it would disengage the cruise), now my cruise control won't even turn on, and now I have no radio switches working. So do you guys think its a clock spring issue????

Last edited by Acagrill; 11-29-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Acagrill
First, thanks to Dj_sasquash for putting up the video on how to replace the clock spring.I would like your guys opinion.
Here is the issue and I'm wondering if I should just go for changing the clock spring. I have a 2005 G35 Sedan with over 225,000 miles. So some time back about a year or two ago I lost my horn when pushing on the steering wheel, then 1 or 2 of the audio controls for the radio stopped working, then my cruise control would work as long as I didn't turn on a blinker to change lanes. (it would disengage the cruise), now my cruise control won't even turn on, and now I have no radio switches working. So do you guys think its a clock spring issue????
Yes.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,017 Likes on 936 Posts
Absolutely clock spring!

Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 PM
HI , I need the clock spring on my 2005 G35 infiniti replaced. The horn does not work, only on my keyfob when setting the alarm. As I have been doing quite a bit of reading my audio controls did putz out a few months ago. I don't know about the cruise control as I have never used this feature. My question is what could this possibly cost? I heard 2K at the dealership. I do no work on my own car... I just like to do my research before taking it to infiniti. I did take it to a local mechanic who confirmed the connectors and fuses were fine. He recommended the dealership due to the airbag. Thanks for anyone's time if you replay to this

Old 01-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by beaner
HI , I need the clock spring on my 2005 G35 infiniti replaced. The horn does not work, only on my keyfob when setting the alarm. As I have been doing quite a bit of reading my audio controls did putz out a few months ago. I don't know about the cruise control as I have never used this feature. My question is what could this possibly cost? I heard 2K at the dealership. I do no work on my own car... I just like to do my research before taking it to infiniti. I did take it to a local mechanic who confirmed the connectors and fuses were fine. He recommended the dealership due to the airbag. Thanks for anyone's time if you replay to this
It's about 30min labor - https://g35driver.com/forums/interio...nt-w-pics.html

I you have any handy friends, have them check out the linked guide and see if they'l do it for a case of beer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Audio Controls Not Working