Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Installing Pioneer Avic X920BT w/ stock Bose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing Pioneer Avic X920BT w/ stock Bose

Ok. This was supposed to be a Mother's Day gift for the wife. The X920BT arrived on time but I knew it would be a week or two before I could get around to installing it. Fast forward 2 entire months and it still isn't installed. I guess the hang up has been not having much time to do an install, the fact that we are now using only her car, since my car is down, and just pure hesitation to tackle a job that requires me to wire something up.

I've read through a lot of posts and Wrathernaut's sticky has been a big help, but one thing is still unclear to me. Does the PAC ROEM-NIS2 wiring just match up to the stock harness color for color and do you just leave the unmatched wires alone and tape them up?

I've got everything else that is in the sticky including the optional pioneer video cable and the PAC SWI-PS, so I'll be ready to go this weekend, hopefully . I'll try to follow up with how everything went and how difficult it is for a rookie installer to do. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
If the colors don't match up the description should.

To minimize downtime of your vehicle, install in this order:

Solder ROEM-NIS2 to X920BT wiring harness. You can do this entirely outside of the car.

Connect the power and ground wires for the PAC SWI-PS to headunit's power and grounds. Solder the proper resistors to the white wire on the PAC SWI-PS and some short bits from the red/green wires on it to the other ends:

With this much done, you're ready to start taking your old radio out.

Once it's out, you'll just plug the ROEM-NIS2 into the factory harness, ground the grounds and steering wheel reference wire, connect the two steering wheel interface wires that aren't power and connect the VSS wire, which is on the same harness as the steering wheel interface wires are on.

Fish the microphone wire from the hole in the removed a-pillar cover:

Run the iPod harness to the glovebox:

Attach the GPS antenna with some good mounting tape to the metal bar:

- If you've had it for two months, then there's even
up on my sticky'd post that wasn't there before.

Tuck as much of the wires as you can down the sides:

... and put it back together!

Don't forget I'm on here like 16 hrs/day if you have questions, good luck with it... if you get really, desperate, and can bring a webcam out to the car, I can help you that way too, but it'd be your morning, as I'm halfway around the planet right now

Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I was expecting you to be the one to respond. HAHA

I've never seen any of those pictures with the exception of the 1st one.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, they're pictures from my install, I whip them out as necessary.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2004 G35, with a AVIC-Z110bt installed with the 7551 harness and you have to put your ear right up against the sub to hear something. The stock bose system I had in here used to sound great with deep bass until I put the AVIC unit in, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the Bose amp & Sub work with the AVIC unit as every setting I make on the av setting makes the door speakers change but nothing happens to the sub,
Regards Craig

Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did you ground the wires correctly? seems like some folks forget to ground the black and black & white wires. also make sure the remote turn-on wire blue/white is connected as well.

you should be able to hear plenty of bass as there's no separate channel going to the sub..it's just pulling line level from the rear left/right channels. seems like your amp going to the 6x9's aren't getting juice (not grounded).

Old 08-18-2010, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey kenchan,
I had the unit installed at a car audio place so don't know how to get the unit out to look at the back to check the wires

Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

There's a complete video linked from my shopping list/installation resources post.