Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

My head hurts...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My head hurts...

Hey guys, well mostly Wrathernaut, since he seems to be the only one who posts in this forum section!

So here's the deal, I'm trying to keep a budget of $600-$800 on upgrading the stock unit to a Double-Din. I'm starting to lose it from trying to read everything I can and do "shopping" for new units at the same time. So with that said, I've tried to hang in there as long as I could without asking a stupid question(s). So here we go.

I have a 2006 G35 Coupe; Bose, Navigation, Bluetooth and a partridge in a pair tree. My main reason for upgrading is a more practical way of upgrading the headunit without having to use an FM transmitter and will allow me iPod control. iPod control is not essential, but I want a direct connection and not an FM transmitter.

My goal is to keep everything functional as well as making everything as stock as possible. I'm looking for a HU that has the orange illumination that will match the dash illumination. I would like to keep Bluetooth control as well as steering wheel control.

I know all of which is *possible*, just very difficult and the installer(s) must be pretty technically savvy.

Wrath, I'm going to certainly pick your brain on this. For I have seen your thread on wiring the Bose system, as well as the wiring of relays for the steering wheel control.

I know that I will need:
Nissan V35 Skyline DD (To fit the Navigation)
Nissan Dual Control AC Controller
Metra 707551 Turbowire(For the Bose system)
Metra 40-NI10
PAC SWI-
Trim kit

What else am I missing? Do you have any other advice for me, am I nuts for wanting to replace the HU just so I can play music from my iPhone? :lol:

Thanks in advance, and have a great day.

-AC

Last edited by Al Czervik; 07-29-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
I'm not the only one who posts here - there's the people asking questions too.

Well, you're sorta nuts if all you're looking for is an aux input.

While wireless FM transmitters sound quality ranges from Mr Microphone all the way to Middle of Wyoming Country Station, you can get a wired FM modulator which gives you "perfect FM reception" sound quality.

But there's tons of reasons why to upgrade to a double din, like being able to control the iPod through the headunit and such.

If you're looking to keep your factory navigation as your primary navigation, pick up a DPDT relay and some RCA terminals to preserve it. If you really want to get creative, you can preserve factory bluetooth, but that requires 3 more relays and a small sacrifice to have a chance at working.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Wrathernaut - Have you seen this?

iSimple Nissan/Infiniti iPod adapter

Says vehicle must have SAT, CAT or Channel button. I have a CAT so I would think this would have to work. This would be a deal buster for me because it would be playing almost as an AUX input and I wouldn't have to tear down the inside of my car.

I went and took a look at the Pioneer 3200BT... if the iSimple does not work, I will certainly be going with that HU. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Al Czervik; 07-30-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:13 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Well, the iSimple should work, it's just you'll be tied to your factory system with it, and the iPod control will be bare-bones. It's like paying 1/2 as much for 1/10th of the functionality, whereas the wired FM modulator is like paying 1/8th as much for 1/15th the functionality. It's just good math.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Well, the iSimple should work, it's just you'll be tied to your factory system with it, and the iPod control will be bare-bones. It's like paying 1/2 as much for 1/10th of the functionality, whereas the wired FM modulator is like paying 1/8th as much for 1/15th the functionality. It's just good math.
To keep the stock look and still be able to use my iPhone for Pandora and iPod and not having to worry about FM static, it seems like the easiest solution. It's me mostly being lazy and not really wanting to have to figure out how to completely rewire the rest of my car to make it so that everything is still functional. From what I've read, you can control the iPhone in the SAT option and then manually control the iPod via AUX1.

Not to mention a part of my problem is impatience. It would more then likely take me a month to get the DD and AC unit controller because I would be ordering them through my girlfriend's brother at cost. Whereas I could just get the HD Tuner + iPod for a fraction of the cost. Now, if I didn't have the stock navigation, I would certainly be looking at completely upgrading.

Don't be disappointed in me! I'm new to all of this and am definitely seeking the best options for my needs. Spending $600+ just to get iPod capability seems a bit excessive, no? Thanks Wrath.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:21 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

There's no FM static really with a wired one, it plugs directly into the antenna input on your radio and switches from the AUX in and the regular antenna, so when it's on AUX, you have no radio reception to interfere with it at all.

Spending $50 for aux - not bad.
Spending uh what? $150-200? not sure on iSimple's price - for aux input and a keeping steering wheel inputs.... that might be excessive. Now imagine that in a couple months your stock headunit goes out, and you have to spend $300 for a used, or $600 to the dealer for a refurbished stock unit? Now what's excessive? Yeah.
Spending $600 just for iPod capability, yeah it's excessive
Spending $600 to gain 7" touchscreen, ability to search and control the iPod properly, watch movies via DVD or the iPod, have a headunit that isn't known for a substantial and repeated failure rate, add hands free calling and have a higher-quality sound output? Not excessive at all.

Yes, I am the evil double-din-demon on your left shoulder.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Spending $600 to gain 7" touchscreen, ability to search and control the iPod properly, watch movies via DVD or the iPod, have a headunit that isn't known for a substantial and repeated failure rate, add hands free calling and have a higher-quality sound output? Not excessive at all.
I would vote for this option as well. I used to have an f90bt in my last car and nothing beats being able to control the ipod with the radio. Not to mention the blue tooth and voice control.

If you got a unit such as the f90bt which has an external mic for the blue tooth and voice control, would it be possible to splice the wiring into the factory mic rather than routing a new mic and trying to hide it somewhere?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Dacket84
I would vote for this option as well. I used to have an f90bt in my last car and nothing beats being able to control the ipod with the radio. Not to mention the blue tooth and voice control.

If you got a unit such as the f90bt which has an external mic for the blue tooth and voice control, would it be possible to splice the wiring into the factory mic rather than routing a new mic and trying to hide it somewhere?
Yes, but you don't want to. The stock mic's quality sucks compared to others.
I use an external mic built for garmin units that was recommended on the avic411.com boards. I don't call myself often enough to give a full comparison, but the few times I used it there were no "are you in your car" or "I can't hear you" messages from whomever I did call.

If you absolutely must, I believe the wire from it runs down the driver's a-pillar, which pops right off with proper application of Man Hands®. Match the wires to those in the wiring diagram and connect them to the microphone wire that came with your new headunit and plug it in.