Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help with 4080 enclosure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Help with 4080 enclosure

I tried searching but didn't find anything on this...

A little background on my issue

I have a 10" 4080 enclosure for the sedan that I bought off another member on here awhile back...I have been running it with a Rockford Fosgate P2D210 sub (I know it's not that great of a sub) and for the most part it sounds like ***, lots of distortion and doesn't hit cleanly or hard at all.

I thought it was my setup as I was running a single amp for my speakers and sub with two channels bridged for the sub. I recently started fixing up all the audio in the car and trying to wire everything properly like running proper gauge speaker wire to the doors and got a 2nd amp for the sub (Alpine MRP-M500) for which the stated specs are 500W RMS @ 2 ohms and 300W RMS @ 4 ohms which is what my sub is wired for since it a 2 ohm DVC wired in series.

I hooked it up to the Alpine amp thinking this would help make the sub sound better, but it still doesn't sound that great if at all better, I think the sub is underpowered for the amp and I was thinking of upgrading to a better 4 ohm DVC sub that I can wire in parallel to 2 ohms.

Anyway to get to the point, I got the 4080 enclosure without the speaker terminals/binding posts on the box so I basically have two holes in the box which I ran the speaker wires through but I did not seal them. I know a sealed box is meant to be exactly that, so could this be the cause of my problem, would I notice a huge difference because of these two holes. If so, where can I get replacement terminals or what can I seal it with. I tried emailing 4080 to get replacement terminals but they did not respond.

Hope someone can help me out, thanks!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Where is the audio signal coming from? You never mentioend your headunit or what the wiring was coming from.

Why wasn't there terminals on the 4080 box?

Old 09-10-2010, 03:01 AM
Sorry...it's coming from the subwoofer RCA preouts from a Pioneer AVIC D3...I was using cheapo RCAs before but swapped em for some pretty fairly beefy Monster RCAs now.

The terminals were missing on the box, the previous owner never included them and I never realized that the box was supposed to come with terminals till much later so I basically I have two small holes where the terminals were supposed to go now

Old 09-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
cover up the extra holes first

see how it sounds after that

sounds to me like you want more output than what you have.

Try a single 10" ported with the amp you have now

If thats not enough you need/want a bigger amp

Old 09-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Okay, this is my 4th try today to get the reply to work... this post is cursed.

Turn all the bass boosts and amp gains down as far as they go or off.

If the bass is quiet but clean, you're just asking way too much from your stuff.

Do standard tuning - low pass filter on, radio at about 75% volume, and then slowly bring the amp gain up until there's distortion. back it off a little bit and never raise it any higher, and never turn on any bass boost, they just muddy the bass and make more of it.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm actually looking for sql over spl, don't really mind if its not too loud, just want it to hit crisply and cleanly. Also I really want to stick with the 4080 box because it barely takes up any space in the trunk. I'm sure it's supposed to sound better than it currently does for me.

But yeah I will definitely try covering the holes and see how it sounds, one thing I did read online to check if a sealed box has any leaks in it is to push the cone in gently and check if there is any resistance when pushing it in. From what I read, it should also take a second or two before the cone retracts back to its original position.

When I tried this the cone bounces right back immediately and when I was pushing the cone in, I could obviously feel air rushing out the holes so maybe this is the problem.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Haha well thanks for attempting to reply so many times! I definitely know not to use bass boost and its turned off but I will try tuning it again as you said and also cover the holes up and see how it goes...hopefully there aren't any other leaks in the box somewhere else, that would be a lot harder to check for

Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, if there's bad sound it's not the 4080's fault, maybe the fault of some holes that shouldn't be there, but the box is awesome.

Now if it's a knockoff of a 4080, then all that goes out the window.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Hmmm now you got me worried, I tried looking up some pics of the 10" enclosure and couldn't find too many but I did notice that in the pictures I've seen the carpet is matched to the interior, I think mine is just straight black carpet...also the back end of the box from pictures I've seen seems like a dark shade, mine is just the yellow shade of the exposed fiberglass or whatever material it's made from.

Also where are your terminals located..if you're looking at the box how it sits in the trunk, is it towards the top left side of the box? And do you have two separate holes for the terminals? I'll try to get some pics up later today, probably just easier for someone to identify that way. I really hope my box is legit tho, it's been like 2 years since I got it, it would suck if I only now realize it's a knockoff

Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Ok here's some pics of my box, anyone wana tell me if this is a legit 4080? And can someone please take a picture of the terminals on the back of their box, curious how it looks.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

If you're looking at the face of the woofer, the terminals would be the top-left.

I can't see your pictures while I'm here at work, so it'll be a good 12hrs or so before I can check them out.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Ok so I got in touch with Ainslie from 4080, he said the reason mine looks different is because I have one of the earlier/prototype ones built. He can sell me replacement terminals. I'm debating whether I should try and sell this box and just get a new one though.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

No reason to upgrade the whole box. Get the new terminals, see how it sounds. If it still sucks replace the other components, or figure out what's wrong with them.

Unless, of course, you'll sell your old one to me for a really sweet deal, in which case...

Old 09-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im also looking for another 4080 box they are great boxes

Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, looks like they're the same box, now that I can see your pictures. The only difference is, mine's fully carpeted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with 4080 enclosure