Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Replacing Bose with DD, speakers all around - Advice on components, wiring needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As of right now, I am planning on getting a zenclosures box and mounting the amp to the box with a sub offset to one side. This seems like the easiest mounting option, as getting into the trunk and finding a way to mount MDF on the backseat and subsequently mounting amps to the MDF seems to be the other option. I don't like the idea of mounting the amps under the carpeting, and I don't have the woodworking/fabrication skills to get into building custom amp racks. The zenclosures box gives the trunk a nice look, but I dont think there is much room for mounting two amps.

Also, it seems like two amps is slightly more expensive, requiring a little extra wiring and a distribution block.

I am open to two amps, I just don't see the benefits at this time. A single amp seems much simpler. At the end of the day, I just want a system that will sound pretty good, but I don't need to rattle the neighborhood windows.

Edit: By the way, it is WAAAAYYY too easy to justify spending extra cash on this project. I am sure you are all well aware of this.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
zenclosures box sucks.

It's too small and not many subs work well with it.

Get a properly built sealed or ported box.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
zenclosures box sucks.
Fair enough. Not the first time I have read that.

But...I do like the ease of use.

Do you suggest mounting via MDF on the backseat? If I go this route, will I be able to keep the fabric on the backseat intact?

What about a small shelf across the back portion of the trunk that sits horizontally, maybe even at an angle? I could probably swing that, and that could handle two amps.

Should I really be looking at two amps instead of one?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 PM
from what i noticed with the zenclosures box, it seals off the trunk from the cabin which defeats the purpose of having subs...

Yeah, a ported box would take up more space, but if properly built, it'll be louder, and sound worlds better.

The seat back is long enough to screw on 2 amps. if u had a larger budget, you could've went with 3 smaller footprint amps.

I would get 2 amps.

why?

1. Power is cheap
2. 1 amp doing 1 job is better than 1 amp doing 2 jobs
3. power is cheap lol

Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 PM
deducting the hu and it's accessories from the 1500 leaves you with 677 for comps, amp(s), sub(s), and box.

Is wiring included in that 1500? do you plan to do any electrical upgrades?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was gonna say the new pdx models this year appearance wise are quite different but then I looked up the pdx 5 and it still looks the same, the rest don't have a silver trim around them anymore and have slightly different model names.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 PM
I may get a new battery, but I am not including that in the budget. Also, I have a little flexibility in my budget to add a sub. Honestly, I don't want to go through with all this and not get a sub...

Outside of the amp wiring kit, some rcas, and a few extra feet of speaker wire to wire the amps to the factory wiring/sub, I am not sure I need any other wiring. I haven't included the wiring in my budget yet, but my estimates are around $100-$120 extra for wiring.

Does that seem accurate?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 PM
As far as sub box, get the 4080 for the sedan! It's a sealed box so you'll get better sound quality than a ported box and fits nicely into the passenger side of the trunk taking up very little space. For mounting the amps, what I did was had a 30" x 13" MDF (.5" thickness) cut at Home Depot and bolted it to the cross brace behind the seats. You will lose your pass through but the lining can go back over this mdf and you can mount your amp through the lining and in to the mdf.

I mounted mine straight to the mdf and plan to build a false wall slightly in front of the amps with plexiglass...basically inspired by psibricks install in this thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...n-install.html

Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Just about

what about sound deadening?

the 677 is a good budget for a nice comp set and a nice 2 channel amp

def not enough for all 4 unless u went used or entry level.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 PM
@fais

I didn't check out the other models, but the PDX5 definitely didn't seem to have any changes at first glance.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM
This would be a nice budget setup.

phoenix gold rsd65cs $89.99
http://woofersetc.com/p6952/RSD65cs-...ker-System.htm

2 mb quart dsc 2150 $220
Amazon Amazon

2 sundown sa-8's $260
http://www.woofersetc.com/p9265/SA8-...-Subwoofer.htm

$569.

amp 1 will give u 150 x 2 for the comps and amp 2 will give u 600 x 1 for the subs.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM
As far as sub box, get the 4080 for the sedan! It's a sealed box so you'll get better sound quality than a ported box and fits nicely into the passenger side of the trunk taking up very little space. For mounting the amps, what I did was had a 30" x 13" MDF (.5" thickness) cut at Home Depot and bolted it to the cross brace behind the seats. You will lose your pass through but the lining can go back over this mdf and you can mount your amp through the lining and in to the mdf.

I mounted mine straight to the mdf and plan to build a false wall slightly in front of the amps with plexiglass...basically inspired by psibricks install in this thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...n-install.html

Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by fais
Where'd you read that nonsense at?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:52 PM
As far as sub box, get the 4080 for the sedan!
My original plan was to hold off on the sub and do this....but I have too many other projects around the house coming up, as well as a 1987 4runner project, that I don't see my self getting the chance to spend the cash on this later.

For mounting the amps, what I did was had a 30" x 13" MDF (.5" thickness) cut at Home Depot and bolted it to the cross brace behind the seats. You will lose your pass through but the lining can go back over this mdf and you can mount your amp through the lining and in to the mdf.
This sounds reasonable.

psibricks install
Yeah - that install is pretty dope.

phoenix gold rsd65cs $89.99
http://woofersetc.com/p6952/RSD65cs-...ker-System.htm

2 mb quart dsc 2150 $220
http://www.amazon.com/AMP-2X150W-OHM... 2L23SO31EFLK8

2 sundown sa-8's $260
http://www.woofersetc.com/p9265/SA8-...-Subwoofer.htm

$569.

amp 1 will give u 150 x 2 for the comps and amp 2 will give u 600 x 1 for the subs.
Those Phx Golds have a low sensitivity, but I imagine with the RMS that amp puts out, that won't be a problem.

Are those amps any good at that cost?

Also, if I gave you an extra $400 how would you change this?

What about the rear speakers?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Everything I've read on audio forums points to sealed box for SQL and ported box for SPL...maybe I'm wrong but that's what I seemed to have understood. Regardless there's no arguing that the 4080 box is a solid box for the sedan that takes up very little room

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing Bose with DD, speakers all around - Advice on components, wiring needed