Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Question Re: Wiring, Ohm and Maximum Watt/Chan for Bose Premium Speakers (2005 Coupe)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Re: Wiring, Ohm and Maximum Watt/Chan for Bose Premium Speakers (2005 Coupe)

Hello,

I have the 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe and I recently picked up a AVIC-Z110BT HU (stock bose died). I am hooking it up to a to the factory installed 8 bose premium speakers. It is not clear to me if the speakers are wired into the deck or into the bose amp with the factory install. It appears they are wired into the deck by comparing color code wiring diagrams, however I can not find validation of this (wiring diagram I found online shows it should be wired to the deck, but if someone could validate I would appreaciate it).

Also for reference I am running the sub rca output from the HU to a dedicated amp (Power T3002) and sub (think they are a pair of 10" Punch 3's) which I had installed prior in this car before replacing the HU. Only the factory installed speakers will remain.

So far what I've found online is that the speakers are 2ohm's each (can someone please validate this for the tweaters as well in the doors near the mirrors?). This is not good for the HU I'm putting in as is stated in the manual. Apparently wiring up < 4ohm or > 8ohm OR less than 50 watts per channel cause damage to the HU.

What I need recommendations on (with keeping in mind I really don't want to rip out all the wiring and re-run in series it for the factory speakers) is:

1. Are the front and rear spearks already in series so I can get 4ohm on to the deck (front left tweater/mid and front right tweater/mid as well as the back left door and rear deash and back right door and rear dash)?

2. If they are not in series or not putting out 4ohm per speaker, what is the easiest AND recommended way, if it is not the easiest, to wire in all 8 speakers into 4 channels (FR, FL, RR, RL) so I can up the impedance to 4ohms per channel (again if it is not 4ohm per speaker)?

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
TL;DR Version: Get a real 4-channel amp instead of the POS bose amp, don't connect the rear deck woofers.

There's a bose amp in the trunk. Four channels of audio go from the headunit to the bose amp, which splits it into six channels. The front speakers and tweeters use the same audio signal, it's just a y-split in the wire between the tweeter and door speaker. Rear deck woofers get their signal through the amp either using a LPF or just duplicating the signal to the rear side speakers (not sure which).

Since bose doesn't release "specifications" for their speakers, there's no real official rating for them, but the various answers from people on here I've seen is about 3ohm.

1) They're not wired in series from the factory.
You could wire them in series to get between 4 and 8 ohms, but that would mean you'd only be giving them half of one the deck's channels RMS split into two, so it'd be like, what 6 watts / speaker?
1a) If you're running real subwoofers, you don't need anything from the rear deck. Don't even try to power them.

2) Get a real amp.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to thread jack but, if you were to replace the bose amp with a 4/5/6 channel amp could you use the factory wiring going back to the bose amp and just run seperate power/ground wires to the aftermarket amp? if so, does anyone have a list of those wire colors?

Old 11-08-2010, 01:33 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Yes, you can re-use all the wires except for the power/grounds.

FSMs with wiring diagrams can be found here:
http://www.psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/
Just go to your body style, year, and click the av.pdf file.