Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What are your guys opinions on BEST Double Din

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Nope, I find the visibility just fine out the rear window, so I can't really give an informed opinion on the cameras.

I wouldn't mind the expensive Pioneer one that does the parking distance marker lines and corrects for camera location and such though.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put in a pioneer avic 920bt,,,,love it...I can stream my pandora from my phone automatically through bluetooth. The way the file structure for mp3s are...makes it super easy to find your song. The small miniSD slot can store 16gb worth of music!! REAR USB WIRE CONNECT is another option for the thumb drive. I got it for 600 off ebay instead of 999 from Best Buy. I still have to repin my parking break wire. Ive had an eclipse unit and kenwood...and so far Im pretty "wowed". I wish you were in the 757 so I could let you see how great it is.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Can you stream music on the iphone directly over the bluetooth or just pandora?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:43 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

File structure is fine if you're doing a small amount, but doesn't work when you've got several hundred artists and a thousand albums to get through.

Yes, you can stream regular audio over bluetooth.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:00 AM
I have a few quick questions...

1. Where to mount the GPS antenna from my new AVIC x920bt? I was thinking right above the clock maybe, facing the window, out of site, still able to see the satellites.

2. I received my new Pioneer deck today, looking at it I noticed it has a speedometer wire, where might I find this wire to tap into?

3. where is the parking break wire to tap into for the parking break wire coming out of the head unit?

4. Is the USB and AUX out ONLY for Ipod, or can I connect my Android phone to it?

Oh, BTW I bought a back up camera, if anyone is interested this is what I bought.

Amazon Amazon

thanks -

Old 12-02-2010, 05:43 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

1) I attach mine towards the top of the metal arm that screws in just below the clock. This acts as the metal required beneath it, and there's nothing metal above it. I have done this in all my installs of GPS headunits in G35s and have no reception problems. I can't reach my pictures while at work, but if you search, you'll find the pictures of this in several of my posts.

(Edit to reverse color/stripe) 2) White with green stripe on the harness that contains the wires that get connected to the steering wheel remote adapter.

3) I just did the bypass so that I wouldn't have to worry about the parking brake wire, and so my passengers could input destinations while I drive.

4) The rear AUX inputs are RCAs, and will take whatever input you want, you'll have to set them up in the audio settings to be iPod mode or simple AUX inputs. The front will take whatever via the 3.5mm input. The USB port will work with a thumb drive, phone or anything else that store music in MP3s. If it is stored in some strange sync'd database that you can't find by browsing the folders, you can't. You won't get the voice recognition that the unit supports with the iPod either.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 12-04-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:15 AM
im bout to get rid of my w900 for this

This unit is

The netflix and youtube streaming has sold me

Old 12-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

The thing I like best about these units is they have definitely raised the bar (in everything but their navigation, which is still just fine, just not as good as others) for what the next generation will have, and I'm glad that Pioneer stuck with the advanced voice recognition for iPod/iPhone music searches.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Agreed..the nav does suck on the pioneer units. Good thing is, most of us have smart phones that can do the job.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
1)
2) Green with white stripe on the harness that contains the wires that get connected to the steering wheel remote adapter.
This is interesting, I would have thought that your speed was calculated through the GPS like it is on a standalone unit (TomTom for instance). I always liked having a backup check on my speed from another source (to correct for different size tires/wheels, for example). Do all of the GPS head units connect like that or are any of them using GPS to measure speed?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I wouldn't call it "suck", but compared to some that do redlight cameras, custom voices, and other things, it's not as good. Re-routing is fast, and the voice recognition for POIs is pretty good too.

Sony's got some great looking nav on that tom-tom one, but the rest of the unit is so horible I could never use it.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

It does calculate through the GPS. The speed wire is so that it can tell speed when in a tunnel where GPS fix is impossible, or when it's cutting in and out when in a city with tall buildings.

It doesn't require it, but very recommended.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
It does calculate through the GPS. The speed wire is so that it can tell speed when in a tunnel where GPS fix is impossible, or when it's cutting in and out when in a city with tall buildings.

It doesn't require it, but very recommended.
Ok, that makes sense, and is good to know. Thanks man!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Wrathernaut, when you say

2) Green with white stripe on the harness that contains the wires that get connected to the steering wheel remote adapter.
Do you mean this is part of what I wire up to the PAC SWI-PS?

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

No.

There's a harness that's part of the car that you get the green and red wires that get wired to the PAC SWI. If you don't have nav, and my memory serves well, there's only 4 wires on it. Red (wired to SWI), Green (wired to SWI), Yellow (grounded when using SWI), and white w/green stripe (VSS).

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 12-04-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: D'oh - it's white w/green stripe, not the other way around.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are your guys opinions on BEST Double Din