Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Bose 200 Watt Stereo (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading Bose 200 Watt Stereo (Pictures)

I took apart the back deck of my 2003.5 G35S to find out what makes the Bose tick. I plan to upgrade to a nice 5 channel Alpine or Precision Power amplifier and thus have to investigate.
There is a 6.5" Bose subwoofer on the back deck, with an amplifier strapped to it although as you can see it can be removed. The Amplifier says 100W but yea right in that little package I doubt it. To the left of the Sub/Amp is an amplifier running the door speakers. It looks like it has 4 sets of speaker wires coming off it so I believe the front tweeters run off the front mains with just a cap. There are NO rear deck speakers in this car.

The connector from the existing wiring harness of the car is an AMP A 11390 (female holes yet the outer jacket is probably considered a male)

I am in need of the harness designed to plug into this connector! Anyone know the best place to get one? I want to fabricate a nice harness connection to wire in a VEN4 Converter without stripping any of the existing wiring in the cars harness. This way I can plug the Bose amp back in when I turn in the car at the end of the lease.
I examined the sub closer this time and noticed that although its a 6.5-7" sub (Cone diameter), it sitting in what seems to be an 8" sub hole!!!! In fact the measurements between bolts side to side is 5.625", so a2+b2=c2 comes to about 7.9" hole diameter diagonally.
Maybe a nice 8" infinite baffle sub for our rear decks???
Kicker lists their sub as having a 7" diameter hole to hole, so that gives us about an inch of play to build an easy 'adapter' to fit an 8" sub in this hole behind the STOCK bose grill!
This setup is a little easier because they have two amps, one under the woofer and one to the left of the woofer, all the wiring goes to that one harness on the driver side amp. We patch into that, feed the differential signal to a VEN4 ($50 converter) and the VEN4 gives us 4 RCA jacks (Front/Rear Left & Right) to feed directly into a 4/5 channel amplifier. We then remove the stock sub, place an Infinite Baffle 8" or run a small sub enclosure in the trunk with a Kicker sub (Ebay best prices on both). Wire the power up to a fuse or breaker near the battery using 4-8 gauge. Replacement of speakers is a good option but I am sure just replacing the amps and sub will make a huge difference. I am going for MB Quart components in the doors personally which means I will probably run some new wiring to the doors from the new amp and use the passive crossovers that come with the components to run the tweeters properly.

Old 11-02-2002, 05:05 AM
Re: Upgrading Bose 200 Watt Stereo (Pictures)

Those are great pics! Thanks! I haven't bothered to open up the back yet, but have been investigating the same ideas. I was thinking of an infinite baffle 8" driver replacement too. The only problem is that few manufacturers make that size. So far actually, I've only found two. JL Audio makes an infinite baffle 8" and a more high end company called Morel from Israel. All other companies only make 8's for enclosures.

For now I was just thinking of replacing the sub because I find the bass is the weakest part of the sound. I usually leave the bass at 0 because any boost sounds like more mid-bass than real deep bass and just gets buzzy and boomy. I feel the treble if punched to +5, seems acceptable. But overall it sounds rather mid-rangey which is the typical sh*t Bose sound.

So far I've come up with two solutions. To keep costs down, just replace the sub and add a small amp for it. Morel seems to be a good bet for tight bass. I presume the JL will have more boom but slightly less accuracy if it sounds anything like my old JL 10". 8 inches is still on the small side for good bass so I was considering asking my installer to make a custom enclosure that would fill the space that the current rear deck trunk panel cover is occupying. Since its only one driver and a small one, it wouldn't need to be very big. I'm sure something about 5-7 inch thick running along the whole width of the rear deck would be adequate. This would be the least intrusive solution as I don't want to sacrifice trunk space to a box enclosure. I also found that Morel makes its own enclosure that almost perfectly fits under the deck and has two 9" subs driven in tandem. I have no idea on the cost but I'm betting it'll be about CDN$1000 or about USD$600. However, it'll produce the most bass and is still pretty small especially if you can mount it just under the rear deck. Morel's website is here:

http://www.morel.co.il/car/car.htm

Check it out for yourself.

I'm curious though, you didn't show what was to the right of the sub, on the passenger side of the rear deck. Is there space there to mount a small amp? Soundstream makes a really small 200W amp called the Angina and my installer was thinking of using it. Would there be enuf room for amp thats about 1/2 to 3/4 the size of the Bose amp?

Old 11-02-2002, 11:38 AM

I'll check out the Morel line, I was also considering the Kicker F8c 4ohm, yes its a FreeAir 4 ohm 8" sub. I do not believe its on Kickers website but its still sold!!
There is plenty of room on the right side for a quite large amp. Although I would not recommend placing it behind the fabric cover, instead something out of MDF should be made to take up the space between the deck and the fabric so that the amp can be mounted underneith properly. There are 2 seatbelt boxes but they are very close to the edge so its not an issue.

Old 12-12-2002, 01:14 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1874197329

I just saw this on ebay.. is this the kinda sub your talking about? The price seems a little low. I gotta go something to imporve the quality even a little so it sounds less middle range. Any help would be very much apreciated

Hyper "The One, The Only, The Original. Unchanged Since 1979."

Old 12-12-2002, 10:04 AM

Do you have the premium system or base?

Red/Canadian

Old 12-12-2002, 02:58 PM

Premium system. I just need it to have more fidelity or something. Sounds flatter then a cat on the freeway!

Hyper "The One, The Only, The Original. Unchanged Since 1979."

Old 12-12-2002, 08:47 PM

How is there no rear deck speakers in this car? The manual says 7 speakers....one sub in the back and 6 speakers in the front? Doesn't make sense....also if I turn the balance to the back I still hear mid-range speakers...

Red/Canadian

Old 12-12-2002, 10:12 PM

4 in the front doors, 2 in the rear doors, the sub in the deck...

Old 12-12-2002, 10:59 PM

Ya that's what I thought....to be honest I'm not too much of a audiofile so I think the system is good enough...especially compared to my last car...nissan sentra. Plus I'd rather spend my money on something that makes my car perform or look better....although I'm sure there are others out there that disagree with me. Between winter tires/rims and underbody/rust proofing and paint protection I've already put over $1,000.00 into this car...

Red/Canadian

Old 01-14-2003, 09:45 AM

I found a place that might have the harness/converter you need...http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/perip...ement_amps.htm