Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Viper 5301 install killed my automatic lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Viper 5301 install killed my automatic lights?

So I just got my G about a month ago and have been going through the mods I want with the help of all you brilliant folks. One of the only things I decided not to do myself was the remote start install, because I don't get along with electronics. Best Buy did the install, and all seemed to work well until I noticed that my headlights stayed on hours after I turned the car off.

The factory "automatic" option for the lights has been on since I bought the car and the lights always worked properly (on when it's dark, off when it's not, turn themselves off about a min after the car). But since the install they no longer turn off after I turn the car off.

I called the installer and he was completely baffled, said he has no idea how to fix it. I've searched online and can't seem to find anything on the issue, and the manufacturer only has technical support if you're a pro installer.

Note: the installer set up the remote start to turn on the lower lights (fogs?) with the remote start, I'm guessing because they flash to confirm inputs which is bad for the HIDs. yet the HIDs are the ones that stay on after the car is off.

Any advice is appreciated. And I owe thanks to all of you for all the other mods I've done by reading thru the archives on here.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it back to Best Buy and they need to fix it.

On my Viper, the headlights stay on while the remote start is running. I have no issues with my headlights staying on that long after I turn it off.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
take it to another best buy

an alarm is only as good as its installer

Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These cars require a pulse to the door pin wire to shut the auto head lights off after they are remote started. Is your car a 6mt? Are you remote starting the car and leaving it running?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:51 PM
It's not a 6mt, it's an automatic (03 Sedan).

Interesting, I guess it makes sense that the lights would only turn off if you leave the vehicle and thus rely on the door pin...I just never thought of it. I sort of assumed that any triggering mechanism like that would work the same as it did before the install, but I guess these things are special.

I usually remote start the car about 8-10 minutes before I need to leave, put in the key, get where I'm going and turn it off with the key once I get there. I live in the chicago area, and it was about 15 degrees this morning...

Thanks, it already makes more sense than it did before.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM
The door pin pulse shouldn't be required. It is only required when the car is remote started and then shuts down with no door being opened.

You are correct, this system should work like it did even after the installation of the alarm.

I would recreate the issue with the installer so he can see it, then I would ask him to unplug the alarm and see if the problem goes away. I can't think of anything that would cause the problem you are having unless there is an ignition circuit to the BCM staying powered. Do the lights still switch on and off based on ambient light?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
06 6mt G35 coupe, compustar alarm/starter. Same problem, installer talked to compustar and said there is no work around. Wife's 04 Maxima 6MT, exact same story. I think my issue is specific to the whole reservation mode involved with manuals. For automatics, I don't think you should be dealing with this issue.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM
The lights do still function according to light, I've actually been turning the lights to automatic each time I enter the vehicle, and turning it off when I leave. I know it sounds like a minor issue, but it drives me crazy since I'm in the process of making the car exactly the way I want it.

I'm going to kill the Viper system this weekend and see if the lights work without it. Maybe he broke the connection to my door pin or otherwise screwed up the OEM wiring.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and take it in. Will probably try a different best buy though since this guy was not only clueless when I told him about the problem, but didn't seem to care about it either.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by SiouxFallsG35
06 6mt G35 coupe, compustar alarm/starter. Same problem, installer talked to compustar and said there is no work around. Wife's 04 Maxima 6MT, exact same story. I think my issue is specific to the whole reservation mode involved with manuals. For automatics, I don't think you should be dealing with this issue.
Right now it's just good to know I'm not the only person dealing with this. I was really surprised I couldn't find anything about this issue anywhere online.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by SiouxFallsG35
Pulse the door pin after shut down. You can typically use an Factory alarm rearm or a pulse after shutdown output.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Looks like you were right KPierson. Took it to a different installer after fiddling around on my own and was told that the door pin wire was broken (perhaps by the installer.) In any event, it's all fixed. Thanks for your input and hopefully SiouxFalls was able to benefit from the thread as well.

It appears I don't have the power to delete a thread (yes, I'm new to the whole forum thing) So I'm guessing a mod will come around and tidy this up. Feel free to delete, oh powerful moderator.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Why would you want a thread with a problem, discussion and solution deleted?

Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something got deleted? ......anyways, I have the same issue with the 5901 will look into the door pin issue....sometimes I remote start the car in the night and don't actually go in the car and the light would still be on 30 min later