Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Metra AXXESS ASWC install issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
oh yeah! Sorry, I meant Marketplace!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I need y'all experts help. Don't know what i did wrong. I believe I connected all the wires correctly. It'll go into auto detect mode, then after a few seconds it pauses for a couple of seconds. Then it flashes 7 consecutive intermediate greens, with no long green flashes. Then it flashes 2 reds. Then it flashes red constantly from there on. Here's what I did on the wirirng below. I cut the wires from the 16 pins harness of the car and spliced in. Currently only twisted the connections together to see if everything is working, but is not. I have a 06 5-AT with Bose system if that matters.

1. Connected the grey-red wire of Metra to red wire (pin 4) of the car harness
2. Connected the white-green wire of Metra to green wire (pin 13) of the car harness
3. Connected the black ground wire of Metra to yellow wire (pin 11) of the car harness. I then took both of those to same grounding point as the head unit.
4. I have a Kenwood DDX790 head unit. So I connected the male & female 3.5 jacks together. Then solder the wire that's labeled steering wheel control on the head unit (blue/yellow) to the brown wire that's coming out of the female end of the 3.5 jack, per the instructions.
5. Then of course the red power wire is solder to the head unit's red.

I even tried resetting the metra module, but that doesn't work either. I hold down the button for like 5 seconds, but the darn thing wouldn't automatically go into auto detect mode. Does this mean i have a bad module? Or is my ground point is weak?

Any insights is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:21 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
^^Might have to do what this guy did.

Originally Posted by Bongonator
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your input.

After much research on the Axxess website and on Kenwoodforums.com I FINALLY got it to work last night. I was on the verge of ripping the whole thing out b/c the level of frustration I was reaching.

It all had to do with the headunit. The Metra ASWC does not fully support the Kenwood DNX9960 without a minor modification...

Per the Axxess site:
** Note: The following four models, DNX9960, DNX7160, DDX896 and
DDX418, need a 10k to 12k ohm resistor between the Blue/Yellow of the
Kenwood and the Brown wire of the female 3.5 during programming.
After programming remove the resistor and reconnect the Blue/Yellow
and brown wire.

(reading the kenwood forums, I learned this also applies to their new DNX9980 as well)

Yeah, that's right... I had to wire in resistors in between the headunit and the Metra unit.

Well, it works now. And I know can control my spiffy new headunit through the steering wheel!

Now I just got to work on wiring the amps and speakers so I can actually hear some sound coming out of my new system. lol.

Thanks again guys... especially for the idea of using the old Bose plug to make a custom harness. Genius.

This whole install would be near impossible without the resources I have found here.

The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (11-02-2013)
Old 09-05-2014, 12:37 PM
So the stock cubby screws came loose from the Metra so I took the dash out replaced the screws and drilled holes for the aux cable and usb cable. Putting the radio back I cant get the steering wheel controls to work, I read the guide on the website and tried what was on page 1 and I still cant get it to work again. It worked fine before I unplugged everything, now when I have it plugged in it keeps turning my pioneers display off even when I try reprogramming... Does anyone have some advice?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by Cingular
So the stock cubby screws came loose from the Metra so I took the dash out replaced the screws and drilled holes for the aux cable and usb cable. Putting the radio back I cant get the steering wheel controls to work, I read the guide on the website and tried what was on page 1 and I still cant get it to work again. It worked fine before I unplugged everything, now when I have it plugged in it keeps turning my pioneers display off even when I try reprogramming... Does anyone have some advice?
Maybe you have a ground issue? Check your connections sir.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Maybe you have a ground issue? Check your connections sir.
Connections are fine...

Old 11-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! I have a problem. I have a new Pioneer head unit, all wired up working well, and the axxess unit wired per instructions correctly I hit the Volume up button after turning on the car per instructions, and it blinks green quickly 7 times and then red 6, and it then blinks red/green slowly. Not sure what to do from here...

Edit: called Metra tech support. They were SUPER helpful. Ended up being a problem with my steering wheel controls themselves, not working I can go down, but not up.

Last edited by aroundincircles; 11-21-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
If you only get down, but not up, you've got a bad connection on one of the steering wheel control wires.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axxess ASWC for G35 2007 stopped working for Phone Receive and Cancel

Hi All,
I recently installed a Pioneer W4400 NEX on my 2007 coupe and everything worked for couple of weeks but now my Phone Pick up and Cancel button stopped functioning. However, the Mode button still functions. And i did my wiring pretty solid. Thanks to Wrathernaut for all the instruction he provided on the forum. Anyone face the same situation or tips please share. Thanks everyone.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
Restart your phone for starters. Go from there.