Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Satellite Radio+Tape Adapter or AUX cord?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Satellite Radio+Tape Adapter or AUX cord?

In a perfect world I want both the Satellite hookup + AUX/Ipod cord for my iphone, but from what I've read you can't get both since to hook up an AUX cord or an Ipod cord, you need to replace the satellite hookups in the back of the stock g35 03 stereo.

So right now I have the satellite hooked up but no subscription, and I have a tape adapter. The tape adapter has pretty good sound, probably not perfect(I love audio more than anything) so the AUX would be a benefit, but I also would enjoy the satellite.

I've found buying a satellite subscription would be about $80, the ipod cord hookup would be about $125.

So here are a few questions I have:

1. Will the ipod cord work with my iphone? Will it charge it?

2. Is it possible to get both satellite and an AUX or ipod cord?

3. How big of an audio difference is there between aux vs. tape adapter?

4. Should I even consider installing a aftermarket stereo to get both worlds? Or is it took expensive and looks trashy on the g35 interior. I installed one on my oldsmobile a few years ago but I didnt care about looks, and installation was easy. It looks like I would have to cut into the dashboard to fit in an aftermarket?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Enigmatic42
In a perfect world I want both the Satellite hookup + AUX/Ipod cord for my iphone, but from what I've read you can't get both since to hook up an AUX cord or an Ipod cord, you need to replace the satellite hookups in the back of the stock g35 03 stereo.

So right now I have the satellite hooked up but no subscription, and I have a tape adapter. The tape adapter has pretty good sound, probably not perfect(I love audio more than anything) so the AUX would be a benefit, but I also would enjoy the satellite.

I've found buying a satellite subscription would be about $80, the ipod cord hookup would be about $125.

So here are a few questions I have:

1. Will the ipod cord work with my iphone? Will it charge it?

2. Is it possible to get both satellite and an AUX or ipod cord?

3. How big of an audio difference is there between aux vs. tape adapter?

4. Should I even consider installing a aftermarket stereo to get both worlds? Or is it took expensive and looks trashy on the g35 interior. I installed one on my oldsmobile a few years ago but I didnt care about looks, and installation was easy. It looks like I would have to cut into the dashboard to fit in an aftermarket?
Im using the PXAMG

1. Yes, and yes
2. I dont think so
3. Aux is a lower volumn so it cleaner, tape is SHEITY quality. It will sound like it was a real tape. very min base and treble and allof that.
4. Do you have a bose system? if so leave it and add a sub. if not then what will it hurt? No you dont need to cut into it, they make a dash kit. either JDM or metra. (heard issue with metra. dont go cheep; get JDM)

Old 01-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Gdriver90
Im using the PXAMG

1. Yes, and yes
2. I dont think so
3. Aux is a lower volumn so it cleaner, tape is SHEITY quality. It will sound like it was a real tape. very min base and treble and allof that.
4. Do you have a bose system? if so leave it and add a sub. if not then what will it hurt? No you dont need to cut into it, they make a dash kit. either JDM or metra. (heard issue with metra. dont go cheep; get JDM)
So it sounds like I should just get the ipod cord and forget satellite. Now that i think about it, I always have the iphone internet radio stations... though i've heard they now have commercials, ugh. Yeah I have bose, the sounds pretty good, though I may switch the speakers out when I get enough money and buy a sub.

As for the PXAMG, I found it on amazon for 109 bucks, do I also need to buy a harness? if so which one?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2011, 05:08 PM
yes, PXAMG is universal just need to flip a few switches.
here is one for 100 WITH the cable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Infin...fAudioQ5fVideo

Old 01-31-2011, 05:08 PM
wtf, i just went on crutchfield.com and they claim the adapter won't fit in a 2003 g35 coupe with bose?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541PXAM...ay.html?tp=120

Old 01-31-2011, 05:10 PM
mine is an 06, from what i read if you have a sat or cat button it should work

Old 01-31-2011, 05:12 PM
here is what it took to install it, cable routed to center console.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Cool thank you so much for your help! Just bought it! It also says it has an extra input for sirius radio, does that mean I don't actually have to lose satellite capability?

Old 01-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Enigmatic42
Cool thank you so much for your help! Just bought it! It also says it has an extra input for sirius radio, does that mean I don't actually have to lose satellite capability?
o thats right, you can buy another box and use that. but as mine sits its Ipod and 3.5mm. i wouldnt get sat radio since u have an iphone.. you can use the 3.5mm out to the stereo. plus no additional monthly fee

Old 01-31-2011, 05:20 PM
You have a IP with black interior? looks gorgeous. my OB has a tan interior, mildly annoys me.

So looking at the picture, it looks like all you have to do is pull out the plastic pieces around the radio, then use a screwdriver to get at the plugs in the back, plug in the unit where the satellite used to be plugged into(for me anyways), then plug the 3.5mm into the extra input, and run both the ipod connector and the 3.5mm out.

Question: Where did you end up running the ipod connector and 3.5mm out of the dash? Did you drill a hole or is there some convenient location?
Also, do you simply pull the plastic out from around the console or are there some screws first?

Old 01-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Sorry double-post.

Last edited by Enigmatic42; 01-31-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: double-posted.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM
i ran it through the center and drilled holes and ran in to the center.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 AM
So I hooked it up today but I tried having the 2nd dipswitch on and off, and both times it refused to display the iPhone. I also can't control the iPhone through the wheel. However it does work fine. I can play music, and set it to aux mode and simply use my iPhone controls. Did you have any issues with it not displaying anything?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 AM
works fine with my friends 3gs. but i have an ipod that i use with it and it stays plauuged in. when u control it, keep the button up for 2 sends or so... you should hear a beep. also make sure that on the radio its set to IPOD not AUX

Old 02-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Oh well that doesn't help the display issue. I guess you didn't install it, thanks though for your help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio+Tape Adapter or AUX cord?