Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket intelligent key with Push button start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket intelligent key with Push button start

Hey guys. I decided to do a quick write up on the Dowontec ST800 since some people are curious about the system. Believe me, I was worried as well since the name isn't "Clifford" or "Viper" heck even "Auto Page". What we've got here is a security system gives you the ability to modify your vehicle to an intelligent key system AND pushbutton start. This was installed in my 2006 G35 coupe manual transmission.
First let me say customer service is excellent. I was calling asking questions all the way up until the freakin' package got to me! They always helped and answered questions. I didn't get the ol' "well we got his money now, peace out sucka" routine.
So anyhow, there are a ton of options. You can pretty much customize everything you want very easily right on the spot anytime. This is definitely my favorite feature.
OK , so now that I'm thinking of stuff, this isn't going to be a "quick" write up after all...

One feature that sets this system aside is the digital keypad that is mounted inside your windshield out to the edge. On this flat keypad, there are 6 buttons mounted vertically. (pictures will be up tomorrow) The buttons are activated by touching the glass from outside of the car. I haven't seen anything like this, but it's genius. Basically you can do all your options programming here. Also this allows you to gain access to your car and even drive it. Of course there is a personal security pass code. Code can be 4 to 10 digits. If you're not comfortable with the digital keypad, you can turn it completely off.

Next is the intelligent key system. Just carry the flat fob in your wallet or pocket and you're set. Walk up to the car and it will unarm and unlock. Access to trunk, gas cap, and doors. If you're looking to show off, just tap the windshield where two of the digital keypad "buttons" are and start the car from outside. (It knows its you because of the fob in your pocket.) Two other buttons and pop the trunk. Otherwise, just jump in and Push To Start!
Which leads me to the next feature, Push to start. There's not much to say here. We all know what this is. This is the button you use if you didn't already start the car from the remote. I'll talk about installation, chipped key, steering lock, etc, etc, later.
The system works as you would expect it to. Same rules apply as you see on the stock cars that have the Push Button start already. Car has to be in neutral, and brake has to be depressed. The only difference is, there is no button to push on the door handle to unlock the doors. The doors just simply unlock when you are close (5ft or so depending on install). HOWEVER, if you so choose, you can use the feature that requires you to touch the enter key on the windshield to make the doors unlock. If you don't have your fob, simply put in your pass code, get in and push to start.

Looking for the negatives? OK
Only comes with one fob. But it will accept up to 3.

If you have memory seats programmed to your stock key fobs, kiss that goodbye. If wifey drives the car you better just hit her memory button on the side of the seat when you get out so you don't have to hear her mouth about it later. (actually, I noted that the stock key fob unlocked the doors. They actually might still hold the memory, but now you're defeating the purpose of hands off entry)

G35 Headlight delay- If you have your headlights set to auto there is a small issue at night. As we know, the headlights stay on for 45 seconds after you get out of the car (meaning the door is open and shut). Well if you remote start then remote shut down, you never actually opened the door. Meanwhile the headlights stay on until the door pins are triggered (or 5 minutes if they programmed your G that way). Either way, you don't want your headlights staying on. I will go to Infiniti and have them program the BCM to "no headlight delay". Meanwhile I will just turn auto headlights off. THE good news is the alarm system has a setting for this very feature! clearly since its internal, it will shut the headlights off in the chosen time.

The manuals can use a once over regarding clarity. The good news here is they are already working on the revision.

Obviously, just like any push to start / intelligent key system, you need to keep a closer eye on your battery. No more waiting till that day you go out and the car won't start.

Obviously you will lose your steering wheel lock. People have different opinions on this subject. Me personally- There are cars manufactured today without steering wheel locks. A G35 thief knows he will have to pull it on a flat bed if he wants your car. So the steering wheel lock wouldn't do much good anyway.

I'm tired. I will follow up with how the system was installed in the G35. I know someone has questions on that, so ask now and I can include them in my next post. Here is the website. http://www.auto-innovatio.com/magento/smart-system.html
Later guys.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Sooo how does it work???

Old 03-26-2011, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by spanky27
Sooo how does it work???
Aw man! so far so good! No problems at all. I will be installing another one of these in another one of my cars soon. The convenience factor is great. When my wife has the fob and I need the car I just simply tap in my password on the windshield and it lets me in. Then, I have 15 seconds to push the start button or I have to go back out and retype the password. I also tested what would happen if I stalled out without the Fob. Again, it gives you 15 seconds to hit the start button (unless you open the door). After you shut down and step out, the doors lock automatically in about 3 seconds.
The whole system is pretty "smart" in terms of "what if" situations. I've tried everything: Tried to shut off while moving in gear. Tried to start while in gear (remote and push buton). Tried to pushbutton start without my foot on the brake. I tried all kinds of situations. PASS. Also the fob works from a GREAT distance. I started my car from inside the baseball stadium with my car at least 1,000 feet away from the entrance. Simply put - it's a good buy.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds awesome... wondering how much this cost including installation

Old 03-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
There's a vid on YouTube. Asian dude with a g coupe.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
so what about the chipped key part?

Old 03-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Might you be that asian dude??

Old 03-27-2011, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
No, I'm not that guy.

Regarding the chipped key, you have two choices.
1. They have it set up where you cut your key and leave the top in their transponder box. The transponder box does not send the signal without your permission. It can be located in a remote location anywhere in the car.

2. What I did was went ahead and installed the Xpresskit. Kept both of my keys intact. The ST800 interfaced with no problem at all.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Dude, I've got this bookmarked on my wishlist. I have a 2006 AT Intelli-Key coupe, and I initially went shopping for a white 2007 AT w/paddles, but fell in love with my black coupe. Anyway, long story short, I'm compiling a list of technology upgrades and I've been looking EVERYWHERE for something like this. Some questions for you:

Can the key ignition be removed, or is that still necessary to start the car (just having the key present in the vehicle)? Because if the key ignition can be removed or perhaps relocated (keeping the transponder receiver somewhere in the car but not in plain view), I'd like to see about having the push button mounted there.

Can you give me an idea of the quality of craftsmanship? On the website everything looks clean, professional and almost stock looking. Is the ST-800 kit that high quality?

Where can I find the Xpresskit and how much is that going to run?

Were the instructions and schematics clear enough for someone to install this kit without having to go to an automotive electrician? As long as I have a clear diagram or schematic, I can wing it, but if this requires any kind of soldering or in depth electrical work I'll need to look into help.

Sorry if some of these questions seem boneheaded or redundant, I'm new to modding later model cars, I'm a former hot rod junkie. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks for the initial post; it's exactly what I was looking for.

- Dan

Old 03-28-2011, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by Starkiller
Dude, I've got this bookmarked on my wishlist. I have a 2006 AT Intelli-Key coupe, and I initially went shopping for a white 2007 AT w/paddles, but fell in love with my black coupe. Anyway, long story short, I'm compiling a list of technology upgrades and I've been looking EVERYWHERE for something like this. Some questions for you:

Can the key ignition be removed, or is that still necessary to start the car (just having the key present in the vehicle)? Because if the key ignition can be removed or perhaps relocated (keeping the transponder receiver somewhere in the car but not in plain view), I'd like to see about having the push button mounted there.

Can you give me an idea of the quality of craftsmanship? On the website everything looks clean, professional and almost stock looking. Is the ST-800 kit that high quality?

Where can I find the Xpresskit and how much is that going to run?

Were the instructions and schematics clear enough for someone to install this kit without having to go to an automotive electrician? As long as I have a clear diagram or schematic, I can wing it, but if this requires any kind of soldering or in depth electrical work I'll need to look into help.

Sorry if some of these questions seem boneheaded or redundant, I'm new to modding later model cars, I'm a former hot rod junkie. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks for the initial post; it's exactly what I was looking for.

- Dan
Hey Dan. First I would have to say any full blown alarm with auto start is already a tough install on these cars. If you are THOROUGHLY familiar with the electronics in your G and VERY proficient with alarm installs, then go for it. In other words, this wouldn't be a good (late model) 1st DIY'er alarm install. The Schematics are acceptable, but they are currently revising them to clean it up a bit (typos and such). My installer did confirm: "It wasn't a walk in the park." Our G's are already complicated as it is, and this was the first ST800 he has seen. No soldering was required.
Regarding the ignition and push button- Yes, it looks absolutely stock! I chose to remove the whole ignition. The Start button fit right over the hole in the column where the key used to go. There is no need for my physical key to be anywhere near the car. However, you do have the option to leave the ignition in the car, the push button will still fit over the ignition. BUT you will have to cut one key and leave the key portion in the ignition so the wheel won't lock.
The Craftsmanship is great! This was my main concern. When I received the package I was impressed. Very solid unit (and packaged very well).
The Xpresskit will run about $60. DO IT, definitely. Makes the install smoother by a great deal. For instance your door panels won't have to come off. Also you won't need to leave the top of your cut key in the transponder bypass module. (the xpresskit will tap into the module and emulate the chip in your key).
So after reading this, it looks kinda confusing. Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
they are very nice people I did not intend to buy this product I wanted to see more people using it so I knew how well it would work, I emailed the company when the unit was on sale to ask them questions as well as request that they send me a full manual for the ST800 as well as the installation information and they sent it right to me in digital format, no questions asked, the sale was over and they told me that I could purchase their product at any time for the sale price. there is also a 5 year warranty that comes standard with every unit, although I'm not sure what that covers

Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 AM
I installed one of these and it works great. Any chance of doing a DIY? Maybe we can make one up together?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anyone know if this will work with the second gen G35 while retaining the factory ignition button?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by G3Sx
Does anyone know if this will work with the second gen G35 while retaining the factory ignition button?
I don't think I'm clear on which model you're speaking of. Do you mean the G37 that already has a push button start and a intelligent key stock?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2007-08 G35 that has the same body as the current G37.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket intelligent key with Push button start