Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Think I have a system to buy...please tell me how it is?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Think I have a system to buy...please tell me how it is?

Dont have a big budget I just want alot better then stock..

gonna do the cd player last after I install all the speakes and amp..

Fronts

Amazon Amazon

rear middles....

Amazon Amazon

6x9's

Amazon Amazon

amp...

Amazon Amazon

I dont really want a sub but id like some decent bass....would the 6x9's give me decent bass or should I get something like a infinity basslink?

I know not the best system in the world but thats all around my price range....

will i have any fitment issues and what kind of wiring kit would u recommend.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
You have way too many speakers. 1 set upfront properly installed and powered is all you need. 2nd, you won't get decent bass out of a 6.5. It takes cone area to get low end and there's only so much air a 6.5 can pump out. A single 10" would suffice. Everything you linked came out to a little over 400. You can do better with that.

Here is what i would get.

1. Phoenix gold rsd65cs. BEST bang for buck comp set on the market for the past 4 years. They're dozens of reviews online. http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6952-rsd...er-system.aspx

2. Aurasound rpm plus 10". Not many reviews online for this sub. I saw it on diyma in the hot deals section a couple weeks ago and snagged it since it was cheap. I haven't tried it out ported, but i tried it out sealed and it does a hell of job for a $70 dollar sub. It should sound even better ported. Sealed should be fine in your situation. https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8999

3. Crescendo audio 1000c4. This amp is a damn power house. It'll give you 125 x 2 for your front stage and 500 x 1 for the sub. http://www.crescendoaudio.com/produc...roductid=17516

Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
thanks the link to the amp didnt work....anyone else have opinions? thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
The site is down

here's another
http://www.caraudiodeals.com/onx4125-p-4281.html

Basically the same amp in a diff casing..just noticed it's 80 dollars cheaper too

Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that quality is more important than quantity with speakers. But let me ask you this: Do you have people in the back seat much, and if so, do you keep music on? If not then focus on the front and a subwoofer. No reason to need a big subwoofer. Don't get one of those "simple" solutions like basslink or one of those stupid Bazooka bass tubes. You can get like a single 10" in a smallish box that does an awesome job and doesn't take much room.

If you don't want that then stiffen your rear deck and install a couple of Peerless SLS 8"s and amp them.

And do not use 6x9s. At all.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by dandragonrage
I agree that quality is more important than quantity with speakers. But let me ask you this: Do you have people in the back seat much, and if so, do you keep music on? If not then focus on the front and a subwoofer. No reason to need a big subwoofer. Don't get one of those "simple" solutions like basslink or one of those stupid Bazooka bass tubes. You can get like a single 10" in a smallish box that does an awesome job and doesn't take much room.

If you don't want that then stiffen your rear deck and install a couple of Peerless SLS 8"s and amp them.

And do not use 6x9s. At all.
Midbass free air? terrible idea

Old 02-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Uh, SLS is considered a woofer (not a "midwoofer"/"midbass"; they are not useful for 2-way speakers) but is basically a junior subwoofer. They work quite well that way. It is not the solution that I recommend, anyway. Also, it would be infinite baffle, not free air. Free air = nothing blocking the air from just moving from one side of the speaker to the other.

Last edited by dandragonrage; 02-16-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
It's classified as a sub, but it's more suited as a mid bass driver. It does work in a 2 way if you mate it with a full range.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by eggyhustles
It's classified as a sub, but it's more suited as a mid bass driver. It does work in a 2 way if you mate it with a full range.
You could mate any speaker with a full range, so that's cheating... But full ranges are bad choices for cars as they are all limited in Xmax/Vd and/or power handling - much more so than more traditional narrower band drivers.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Depends on the application.

power handling and xmax aren't that much of a concern for an sq setup.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 PM
alright so I like that MB quart amp above....and i like the idea I can power a pair of components and a sub from it.....People are never in the back seat so I do not need those..

I think a 10" sub now is a good idea....I would LOVE to have one of the fiberglass boxes that hides in the corner (any idea where to get thats not insanly expensive)

so I like that amp and its price is great.....so since im saving money on the rears and 6x9's ....what 6.5" component speakers would u recommend UP to 200...id prefer around 150$$ and whats a good 10" sub......

thanks alot.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 PM
A step up from the rsd's would be the image dynamics ctx65cs

If u plan to stuff the sub in a corner pocket enclosure, get a shallow mount sub like the polk mm.

What is the absolute maximum you're willing to spend?

Last edited by eggyhustles; 02-16-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 PM
well looks like the image dynamics are double the cost of the rsd's....are they that much better?...Im gonna get that mb quart amp im pretty sure........maybe $100 on a sub....I dont want a ton of bass just something that sounds good.

also on that mbquart amp....is that website good? caraudiodeals........cause that amp is $50 cheaper on the site then it is on ebay.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes, the ID's are that much better. Better midbass, smoother tweet, louder.

That site is legit. I ordered a couple amps from them and the transactions went smooth.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...MM1040DVC.html

A slight jump above your budget, but it's worth it. It's a dual 4 ohm, so it has to be wired to 8 ohms where the amp will give you 250w

As for the box, it needs .66 cubic feet sealed or 1 cube ported. I'd opt for ported since box size would still be small and you get the added efficiency.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't do a Polk sub... No thanks.

The IDs will be nice... there are lots of great options at that price point.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Think I have a system to buy...please tell me how it is?