Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

USA spec PA15-INFI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by miltoda
Thanks for the help LoSt180! Currently, the black ground cable is not screwed to the chassis. I temporarily grounded it and didn't see a difference. I will ground it properly though, just didn't have a screw to fit the predrilled holes in the exposed metal in the trunk.

So am I wrong in wanting to use this just for AUX inputs? I could probably borrow an ipod to setup this up, but do i need to have an ipod connected all the time to use the AUX? I'm not against picking up an ipod, but i'd like to know what my options are.
I didn't want to lie to you so I went and checked. Set input to AUX (pressing preset 6) then unplugged my iPod. Was able to switch between XM and the PA15, turned the car off a few times, always went back to AUX. Even tried pressing another preset and it just jumped back to AUX input.

So you would probably be fine leaving it set to AUX, after you do the Preset setup.

I'm sure (not positive) that you'll need to at least leave the iPod HARNESS connected (the one that came with the PA15). Might as well run it to the glove box in case someone has an iPod/iPhone and wants to play a song in your car or something. Or if you disconnect the battery and have to set up the presets again.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
So I was able to get the pa15 working this weekend! I broke down and just bought a new ipod nano. I figured I could use when I'm running my next 5k or something, but that did the trick. I also noticed that the box is pretty temperamental with how well it is grounded. I got a 10mm bolt, nut, and washer and put the ground connector on the rear right trunk panel. It had to be really tight for the connection to work. I wonder if I should have sanded down the metal.

I put the box underneath the rear right seat, I don't know how you guys get the cables under the carpet. I couldn't even get my finger underneath the carpet even after removing the screws from the console. I just ran the cables next to the console and will tuck them under the passenger seat when not in use. Thanks to everybody for the help.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ali7up
I looked in the trunk, and in the left corner, i found this plug? Is the connector for the pa15-infi?

Hello, I have an 06 coupe I do have this plug in my trunk but I don't have satellite radio. Buttons on the face of the radio show cd, radio, pty/cat, and disp. SO am i prewired? Can i get the pa15-infi???? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by miltoda
I put the box underneath the rear right seat, I don't know how you guys get the cables under the carpet. I couldn't even get my finger underneath the carpet even after removing the screws from the console. I just ran the cables next to the console and will tuck them under the passenger seat when not in use. Thanks to everybody for the help.
I used a pry bar to lift the carpet some, fished a hangar to the middle console, taped the wires to that and pulled it under. Really was a PITA.

Originally Posted by EnerOnE
Hello, I have an 06 coupe I do have this plug in my trunk but I don't have satellite radio. Buttons on the face of the radio show cd, radio, pty/cat, and disp. SO am i prewired? Can i get the pa15-infi???? Thanks.
Yes.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EnerOnE
yes it definately works without the xm button

Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Great thank you guys, gonna buy this right now.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok. So I have an 05 sedan. I am prewired but I don't have the full sat radio. I bought the PA15-INF. Does this mean I cannot use steering controls? If I bought the NIS, would I be able to?

Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jdubin94
Ok. So I have an 05 sedan. I am prewired but I don't have the full sat radio. I bought the PA15-INF. Does this mean I cannot use steering controls? If I bought the NIS, would I be able to?
Yes. and No. The two are functionally equivalent, only difference is the harness and thus where you plug the thing into your car.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just finished installing my PA15-INFI in my (new to me) 06 Coupe (Bose, No Nav.). I did a lot of searching around for a DIY and never really found one that was geared for the coupe (several for the sedan are floating around). My main concern was the routing of the wires and where to hide the module. This was the process that I took to install mine with minimal tools and nearly 100% of the wires are hidden (sorry, I didn't take pictures of the process, but everything is pretty straightforward).

1. Remove trunk floor liners, spare tire, and the plastic cover on the left side of the trunk.

2. On the left floor where you removed the cover, you should see an exposed white 16 pin connection shown in this picture
http://s822.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=DSCF5234.jpg.
Connect the cable that came with your kit to that connection. I attached the ground cable to one of the screws that holds the metal bracket in place also shown in the picture above.

3. Route the PA15 cable along the floor of the trunk to the back seat. Lay back seat down flat. If you follow where the cables from the other box in the trunk run, you will find a hole to easily pass the PA15 cable through. Pull the cable through making sure it routes smoothly. You should be able to easily route the wire along the side of the seat. Once at the bottom, I just ran the wire outside the carpet down to where my rear floor mat is. Since I rarely use my back seat, having the wire 100% hidden wasn't a huge concern. As it sits now, about 4-5" of wire are visible but due to the angle, you have to be looking for it to notice it. I then routed the cable under the rear floor mat to the right side of the drivers seat. I tucked the cable neatly along the side of the seat and checked for clearance to ensure that the cable wouldn't be affected by any movement of the seat. (At this point I went ahead and did a test connection with the unit to ensure that it would work since it was much easier to much easier to make adjustments to the module at this point)

4. Removed the gear shift console and center console. I'm not going to DIY this part because there are many already out there. It's really easy and if you use a spackle knife or plastic shim, you can easily remove the consoles without damaging them.

5. I then routed the PA15 wire through the bottom of the center console between the plastic and carpet. Again using a plastic shim,etc. you can easily lift the plastic enough to slip the cable through. Because of the positioning of the drivers seat, you shouldn't be able to see any wire. Rout the cable to the rear of the center console. On the rear floor of the center console there is a silver module. I attached the PA15 module to that unit with double sided adhesive. There are many different options (zip ties, etc.) as far as mounting, however I felt this gave me a secured mount that was fairly easily accessible if I needed to make changes. I mounted the module with the iPod and AUX connections facing the rear seat. I neatly coiled the excess PA15 cable and zip tied it in the center console. Connect the cable to the module. I connected an audio Y cable from the aux extension and the iPod cable from the kit to the module. Under the arm rest of the center console, there is a small plastic trim panel (if you have removed the center console you have already removed the panel as it covers two screws that connect the center console to the floor) that covers the hole where you can run your cables. At this point I went ahead and ran the cables through this hole and reinstalled the center console. Using a pair of strong sharp wire cutters, I clipped out the front right corner of the small trim panel to run the wires through. Don't clip any of the part that the trim panel uses to fasten to the center console. If you do it carefully, you should be able to make a clean cut and cleanly be able to run the wires into the center console under the armrest. Again, there are other options that you can choose as far as how you want to run the wires. This seemed easiest with minimally noticeable modification. Since the arm rest has a cable pass through on the right side, you can easily run your cables out to your iPod, phone, whatever and easily conceal them when not in use. Reinstall your gear shift console and your trunk stuff (cover, spare, etc.) and you are good to go.

Hopefully this will help some of you coupe owners who have been looking for a little more info on the install process for the PA15-INFI and how to run the cables. The whole process took about an hour and a half. If you follow this, it should take you less since most of the time was spent planning. I am extremely pleased with the unit so far. I primarily use the aux connection since I have an android phone that I use Google music or stream Pandora through so I haven't figured out all the iPod stuff. The sound quality is on par with a CD so long as you are streaming/playing a quality audio file. Both the aux and iPod connection have the same sound quality when compared by playing the same audio file on both connections. Steering wheel controls are fully functional with the iPod (again, I haven't fully figured them out) and the volume control works with the AUX connection.

The following 3 users liked this post by SnakeG35:
dj714 (10-20-2012), LoSt180 (07-14-2012), Wrathernaut (07-14-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SnakeG35, Is the exposed connector on the left in the picture? Is the unit shown the SAT unit? Where did you plug in the PA15-INFI?

If it's the one on the left, just to be clear, you don't need the actual SAT unit (receiver) to plug the PA15-INFI into, just that exposed white connector? The pdf of USA SPEC's website indicates the unit plugs directly into the SAT receiver (pg 9) http://usaspec.com/userfiles/editor/...120_webuse.pdf

Old 07-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know how to get to the connector on the Sedan??

Old 07-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There is a DIY on this website for the sedan.
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...06-sedans.html

Yes the exposed connector is what you need to hook the module up to. That's the only connection you need to make (not counting the ground wire). I don't that is the sat unit but I could be wrong. You plug the PA15-INFI into the cable that comes in the kit. I'm not sure what else you could mean. My instructions above pretty much cover everything. It's for the coupe though, not the sedan.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by achillesg
SnakeG35, Is the exposed connector on the left in the picture? Is the unit shown the SAT unit? Where did you plug in the PA15-INFI?

If it's the one on the left, just to be clear, you don't need the actual SAT unit (receiver) to plug the PA15-INFI into, just that exposed white connector? The pdf of USA SPEC's website indicates the unit plugs directly into the SAT receiver (pg 9) http://usaspec.com/userfiles/editor/...120_webuse.pdf
Yes, the exposed connector is what you would connect to. The box shown in this area is the bluetooth module for the phone. If this car actually already had sat radio, a second module would be mounted on the flat area to the left of the BT module.

NO, you don't need an actual sat unit, BUT you DO need the pre-wire in the trunk area to use the -INFI version.

The PA15 has the capability to piggy-back off the XM unit so you can switch between ipod/aux and XM radio. If you don't have an XM module, just leave the male connector side of the harness hanging.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Hello, it seems everyone has different radios in their car, I have a 06 Sedan(no bose, no nav.) and I have the harness in the top right corner of the trunk. I just ordered the PA15-INFI from Crutchfield. I hope I ordered the right model. I will update when its time to install.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Yep, the PA15-INFI connects to the trunk harness.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: USA spec PA15-INFI