Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Custom Amp rack/set up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Custom Amp rack/set up

im going to be building a custom amp thing for my trunk. im basically building a stand for 2 amps to be mounted on. 2 levels , top for the amps, bottom for the wires (gonna look like a circuit board) that will be fed through the tire area to the rest of the car. bla bla , anyway. im looking to throw a cooling fan or two on it. i was gonna trhwo it on the top right and left corners, shooting across the amps on an angle, or one fan on the right and one fan on the left (sucking/blowing) design.
or... throw them under the amps, pulling air away from the bottom. any ideas? ive looked alot at custom set ups, but most are concealed.

also, would this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Inch-Brushless-12V-Cooling-Fan-Car-Audio-Stereo-CF1-/260826540578?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cba792a22for 7 bucks... can i really even go wrong?

Old 08-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
That fan would work as long as you've got 3" to deal with. Basically any computer case fan will work, as long as they're rated for 12v (which I think most of them are, it's been a while). You can find them all kinds of shapes and sizes, it's too bad Radio Shack is no longer familiar with parts like this, but you might have some luck if you can find any local computer repair shops. Really the only thing you need to solve for when picking the fans is what will fit. As to the suck/blow (haha) vs dual pushing air, depends on the amps and where they are making heat. It's probably not needed for 90% of modern amps, but I used to deal with it a lot 10 years ago when amps weren't very good at throttling themselves back before burning up.

But even for $7, before you spend it give us some info about what kind of amps you are running and how much clearance they'll probably have on all sides (including top and bottom if applicable).

If you want a nice rack (again, haha) you don't really need to build multiple levels, you can have the wires run beneath the board they're mounted on and drill through it right in front of where the wires connect to look slick, or just wire tie down the wires as they're routed in, out, and around the amps. The circuit board look would be awesome but unless you're going to go whole hog (paint the board green and only use purely silver/gold looking wire) it probably won't come out exactly as imagined - but no reason not to try because it could be pretty slick.

This message has been brought to you by New Castle Brown Ale, and our partner - Drinking Since Noon. If nothing makes sense, I'll fix it tomorrow.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:07 PM
thanks for the reply!

i have a kenwood xr-1s mono channel amp as well as the kappa four amp. they will have no clearance below them (mounted directly on the wood), around ample room around all of the othe sides (middle of the trunk pretty much).

and when i said about the circuit board, although what you said would be intereting, i meant more just like the layout part. like cleaning up the wires, and tacking them to the board.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 AM
bump for assistance