Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Which DD to get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm doing some research on this DD and had some questions. I know this post has some months on it but I was wondering -
To use Bluetooth do I really need to buy that $179 adaptor?
If I do, will I be able to use Pandora with my iPhone via Bluetooth or do I also need the iPhone chord?

That just seems like a ridiculous amount of money when other DD's offer Bluetooth installed.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Either get a unit with built-in bluetooth - Pioneer 3300BT, Kenwood DDX418 or go without, the adapters are #&^$#^#$ outrageous that, for the most part, is little more than a $3 bluetooth transceiver and a AUX input to the radio.

Pandora will play over bluetooth *if* your radio supports A2DP. the Kenwood DDX418 does, the Pioneer 3300BT does not. You will be able to skip forward and pause, but you won't have any other control at all over pandora over bluetooth, nor will you get album art or anything else beyond straight audio.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Wrathernaut. I think I'm split between the Kenwood and this JVC. I guess the Pioneer's discontinued now, but doesn't mean I couldn't find it on eBay..

Old 01-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
I'm really hoping Pioneer does the right thing and includes A2DP in the 3300BT's replacement (probably 3400BT). The demo units at CES for the 3300 advertised A2DP, but conspiracy theory says they just kept it out in order to push people towards their higher-end units.

JVC has been putting out some very fast units. Not a pretty interface, but they're quick. You'd be hard-pressed to tell the sound quality difference between JVC and other units while on the road anyway. If you're that much into sound quality, you're the type to get an MS-8 or similar dedicated audio processor *anyway*, so the headunit's less of a factor there.

So yeah, JVC's fine by me.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Top Teke
Thanks Wrathernaut. I think I'm split between the Kenwood and this JVC. I guess the Pioneer's discontinued now, but doesn't mean I couldn't find it on eBay..
The Pioneer's $640 on Amazon right now. The car stereo shop where I got mine in upstate NY selling them for $599 right now. www.audiomanonline.com. Maybe they'd ship?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey i was thinking of getting a DD as well and i was thinking of getting the Kenwood that someone before was talking about. how is the Pioneer working out for you

Old 01-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by uclalaker2009
hey i was thinking of getting a DD as well and i was thinking of getting the Kenwood that someone before was talking about. how is the Pioneer working out for you
Kenwoods are nice, don't get my wrong, but for the price I don't think the Pioneer can be beat. I've been very pleased with it thus far. GPS is always on point, enjoy the iPod integration (i.e. Pandora controls on the deck), controls are pretty intuitive after a day or so...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.