Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

will 3 way components work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nah 4 speakers. I'm putting sutin in the rear no matter what sorry but that's what im doin.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
lulz

Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico Koutouzis
Nah 4 speakers. I'm putting sutin in the rear no matter what sorry but that's what im doin.
Sometimes I think I should go into the car audio business.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Ok man, it looks like you want to appease the occasional passenger and feel like it's a must to have something in the rear. At least that's the assumption I'm going on for the moment, we'll explore another option in a moment.

- If you want the rear passengers to have sound, how much cash are you going to spend on time alignment processing so that there's no echo/delay from the front and rear firing at different delays? Yes, it can only be measured in milliseconds but in such a tight space, it will be noticeable. Looking at the price list you posted earlier, if that's your budget you might as well buy a good processor with that money and keep the Bose installed until you can afford all that other crap.

- Another option might be to save the cost of a good processor (I think the JBL MS-8 makes sense as a point of comparison, MSRP is somewhere $800? but you can probably find them online for 5-600) and put that money towards REALLY AWESOME front speakers and a BIG ENOUGH AMP to blow you, your rear passengers, and the contents of your trunk out of the car. Make it strong enough up front that your rear passengers won't miss the fact that there's not some shitty coaxial firing into their elbows that sounds like crap anyway.

Basically if you want a good sounding audio system in a shitty environment (which a car is) you want to focus your efforts on building a front stage, meaning a theoretical plane in front of you that makes it feel like you're watching your favorite live act, or staring through glass at folks in a studio listening to them actually record the music. That music never comes from behind you, unless you're doing a quality home theather/5.1/7.1 system, which your previous list of equipment says you aren't.

You've gotten a lot of feedback and as always, whether or not you take it is your own choice, but a lot of this input is based on trial and error that you don't have to duplicate unless you really want to waste time and money.

Last edited by OBsessed; 09-04-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Some people are just clueless when it comes to audio

Less is more in car audio. 200-300 watts to a good pair of speakers upfront will be LOUD.

He's not gon' listen, though. From my years of installing car audio ive seen that most guys would rather listen to their homeboy than someone in the field that does this/or has all day.

Either that or they're just plain cheap. ive seen guys go crazy on subs and try to wing it when it came to amps and vice versa. ive also seen guys go crazy on all the equipment then try and get joe joe's uncle around the corner to hook it up trying to save $200, exposed wires and all

Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 PM
And that's a big part of why a lot of leave car audio, as a profession. It's gd frustrating.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Leksikon
And that's a big part of why a lot of leave car audio, as a profession. It's gd frustrating.
Yeah, some people just start asking #'s first. How many speakers? How many watts? What size? How many subs?

None of that is what matters if you care about quality.

All of that matters if you're just trying to drop your car's trousers to measure up in the high-school or wal-mart parking lot.

I love the fact that two well-powered speakers up front can make many people do the "uh, yeah, I should have done that" face and stop claiming/bragging that they have 2,000 watts. It's hard to talk about how impressive that peak watt-advertised amp is when it sounds like weak sauce when compared to somebody with 300.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 09-05-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:43 AM
alright heres the deal i know that a beefy front stage and subs would prolly be better for the driver. but this is only about half of the money ur lookin at. Im also getting the dnx7180 which has the THREE preamp outs for a reason so the difference in speaker timing would be minimal. I cant just not have nothing in the back. there are tvs in the car already too so when theyre watching the movie they can hear more than just bass pounding into their backs. im sorry but the speakers in the back will have to be there. so let me ask this... 6x9's or the 6.5's? im going to make them components no matter what. for some reason im not a fan of coaxials. (ik the 6x9 are in my cart but thats understandable.)

Old 09-05-2011, 01:22 AM
the preamp outputs have nothing to do with you wanting rears, though.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 AM
ok... anyways keep the 6.5's or the 6x9's?

Old 09-05-2011, 02:48 AM
6.5's

delete the ones in the rear deck so the bass can enter the cabin.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Nico Koutouzis
alright heres the deal i know that a beefy front stage and subs would prolly be better for the driver. but this is only about half of the money ur lookin at. Im also getting the dnx7180 which has the THREE preamp outs for a reason so the difference in speaker timing would be minimal. I cant just not have nothing in the back. there are tvs in the car already too so when theyre watching the movie they can hear more than just bass pounding into their backs. im sorry but the speakers in the back will have to be there. so let me ask this... 6x9's or the 6.5's? im going to make them components no matter what. for some reason im not a fan of coaxials. (ik the 6x9 are in my cart but thats understandable.)
Just curious, have you ever watched TV with speakers that are built on the TV?
Front soundstage.
Have you ever been to a live concert?
Front soundstage.
Have you ever talked to somebody with them in front of you as opposed to two clones speaking simultaneously into either ear?
Front soundstage.

Your backseat passengers will survive.

The following users liked this post:
RedSquare (06-15-2022)
Old 09-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Good point but if I have the money why bot do it since I'm in there ya know?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I probably typed up and deleted half a dozen wise *** replies to that, but that's not necessary.

Nico, good luck with your system build, keep us posted on how it turns out, post up some pics, and hope you like the outcome. Best of luck with your build.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:17 PM
You want rears? Get the processing for it.

If not, you'll just be half assing it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: will 3 way components work?