Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer Avic-X930BT and Stock Speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by magic5g
Oh that's what you meant by power/battery wire. Yeah I have a 0 ga. running to a distro block in trunk to 4ga and 8ga for mono/4-channel amps.

I would look into a single amp that can put out 5 channels(4 speakers 1 sub) like the JL XD700/5
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle

Alpine's pdx series also have a 5 channel and are pretty much the same.

Or you can have one amp for 4 speakers and one amp for subs to have more control and power. Bass is addicting and I went from a 600w amp to a 1,000w amp. There is no way you can get this much power for a sub in a 5 channel amp.

The main brands I played around with are: Kicker, alpine, JL, image dynamics, pioneer, boston, and if you're not really an audiophile, then most of the brands are similar and it's really recommend anything if you don't have any price range or guide lines to go by.
Alright, Thanks man.
What do you have in your car?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Javi you are running the metra... I know because I installed it..

(And no I am not a stereo installer I am just good with wiring things up, If I had known this harness was crap I would have had him get the other one.)

The following users liked this post:
Javi04 (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by nico oner
Javi you are running the metra... I know because I installed it..

(And no I am not a stereo installer I am just good with wiring things up, If I had known this harness was crap I would have had him get the other one.)
Big props for helping out fellow Drivers! I'm not a stereo installer either, well, not for a job or anything. It's just a hobby I enjoy. Of course, if you had read up on my shopping list, you'd know that harness was crap (shameless self-plug).

Old 09-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Big props for helping out fellow Drivers! I'm not a stereo installer either, well, not for a job or anything. It's just a hobby I enjoy. Of course, if you had read up on my shopping list, you'd know that harness was crap (shameless self-plug).
Yeah your shopping list was really helpful but for some reason I over looked that. I bought the PAC SWI-PS and I think I got it confused with the PAC ROEMNIS2.

We couldn't even get steering wheel controls to work either.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 PM
^hahaha... Thanks. I think we learned our lesson on that one.. Once he gets the new harness it should sound a bit better.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Javi04
We couldn't even get steering wheel controls to work either.
Any help on this would be nice. Maybe some pics.. I wired in the resistors like the instructions called for, but it seems that we are getting no response from the sending unit.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Javi04
Alright, Thanks man.
What do you have in your car?
I have alpine spx-177a components up front, disconnected stock rear speakers/subs, had an alpine mrp-f550 bridged at 2x250w to the speakers but my speakers are only 75w rms so it was a bit overkill, AND my amp was getting hot so I switched to JL 300/4 bridged to 2x150w. For my sub, I have 2 Image Dynamics IDQ's pushed by alpine pdx1.1000 and they sound great but don't get loud so I'm getting a custom 12" ported box ~2 cubic ft. built tomorrow and going to test my 12W7 or Ascendant Audio Havoc in it (have both right now sitting in my garage LOL and going to sell the one I don't like).

If I were you I'd start with any amp from a reputable company that is ~ 500w rms and a 10" alpine type R subwoofer. The type r is pretty much the sub that's the best for the price.

As for the speakers, many people prefer infinity's, and since I'm still using my stock deck and a line out converter so I'm not getting the best quality signal so I didn't really care what speakers to get. To you, most speakers should sound pretty much the same so I'd just go with any speakers from a well known company that you can get for cheap.

The following users liked this post:
Javi04 (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by nico oner
Any help on this would be nice. Maybe some pics.. I wired in the resistors like the instructions called for, but it seems that we are getting no response from the sending unit.
Usually I'd blame this on failure to ground the yellow wire from the vehicle's harness that has the steering wheel controls.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:03 PM
What would be your next guess? But I wilk double check that wire.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Well, where in the programming process does it fail?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually I'd blame this on failure to ground the yellow wire from the vehicle's harness that has the steering wheel controls.
I concur with Wrathernaut. I had issues with the Axxess ASWC due to the yellow wire not being grounded. Once I grounded the yellow wire, I had to reset the ASWC using a penny nail during the program sequence to get the codes recognized.

I completed my DD setup last weekend and I am not satisfied with the sound quality either. See the following for details....

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post6108964

Old 12-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen this exact story so many times... that is, of course, the reason that my shopping list explicitly says that if you're keeping the Bose amp, you get the PAC ROEM-NIS2.

My real recommendation, of course, is to get rid of the POS Bose amp completely. The easiest replacement would be a 6-channel amp, and re-use the stock speaker wiring (NOT POWER WIRING) to send the signal to the stock speakers. The more flexible but more complicated way is to use a four-channel amp for the front speakers and pick up a separate mono-channel or 2-channel amp to power the rear woofer/6x9's.

If you were happy with the sound quality with Bose, you'll probably be fine with something like this for an easy install:
JL XD600/6
or this:
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-5584-a64...amplifier.aspx

eggyhustles is probably going to chime in here in a bit with a few more recommendations better than mine though. He's got a lot more more experience with different brands so I'll takes his recommendations for most audio components over my own
question: i have a similar problem, i don't hear THAT much distortion, only on a few songs. Although it is irritating because the stock system never distorted, never. My real problem is that the sound is not as good and not as loud as as it once was when stock. I followed your shopping list, i gave it to my installer and told him to by all the parts you recommended.

I went to my installer with my issues and he swears he followed the list to a tee. So either he's lying, or maybe some loss in sound is still expected even with the right harness?

Is this possible, that if your list is followed, that the stock bose sound can't be completly replicated? or is a new 6 channel amp absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the original shopping list.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I purchased this amp 6 channel amp, http://www.woofersetc.com/p-5584-a64...amplifier.aspx I haven't had time to install it. I'll let you know if it changes anything, once I get it installed.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by ceeze
question: i have a similar problem, i don't hear THAT much distortion, only on a few songs. Although it is irritating because the stock system never distorted, never. My real problem is that the sound is not as good and not as loud as as it once was when stock. I followed your shopping list, i gave it to my installer and told him to by all the parts you recommended.

I went to my installer with my issues and he swears he followed the list to a tee. So either he's lying, or maybe some loss in sound is still expected even with the right harness?

Is this possible, that if your list is followed, that the stock bose sound can't be completly replicated? or is a new 6 channel amp absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the original shopping list.
It could be the EQ in your headunit. The Bose headunit outputs a very "flat" signal, with a significant amount of equalization done by the amplifier. The settings on the factory unit can't vary the signal anywhere near as much as aftermarket headunits, so even when using the PAC adapter, you're likely to be going outside of the amplifier's tolerances.

Seriously though, the bose amplifier is by a great margin the worst part of the factory system. If you care anything about sound quality, kick it to the curb.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be the EQ in your headunit. The Bose headunit outputs a very "flat" signal, with a significant amount of equalization done by the amplifier. The settings on the factory unit can't vary the signal anywhere near as much as aftermarket headunits, so even when using the PAC adapter, you're likely to be going outside of the amplifier's tolerances.

Seriously though, the bose amplifier is by a great margin the worst part of the factory system. If you care anything about sound quality, kick it to the curb.
So as it turns out, my installer did install the wrong Harness. So i had the Roem one installed 2 days ago. First thing Ive noticed is that that sound is significantly louder. However, i'm not a fan of the sound quality. for some reason i feel as though i liked the stock sounds better.I still hear some distortion at higher levels. And it just doesn't sounds as full or as warm as when stock.

So i'll be taking your advice and i will purchase a new amp. But is it possible that the bose speakers are already at their capacity? (and hence the distortion). Will it be worth installing the amp if i leave the stock speakers?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic-X930BT and Stock Speakers