Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer Avic-X930BT and Stock Speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pioneer Avic-X930BT and Stock Speakers

I recently install Pioneer Avic-X930BT into my 06 G with Bose. The install was horrible. A few things didn't go as expected. I just installed the head unit, still using the stock Bose speakers and amp.

First thing I noticed with was the change in sound quality. The sound quality with the the stock Bose head unit was much better. With the pioneer it doesn't sound bad if the volume is low but once I put it up it doesn't sound good. It doesn't sound as loud as it did with the old Bose head unit and the bass isn't the same as well.

Is the cause of the problem the stock speakers and amp?

Also, I haven't really played with the equalizer, None of the EQ presets sound good.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
70-7551 or PAC roem nis2

Did you use the metro harness or PAC Roem nis2? I installed the Pioneer avh p4300dvd last week, and I used the metro 70-7551 wiring harness. BIG MISTAKE! The sound quality was horrible, exactly as you described at higher volumes. Searched the forum and found others that experienced the same problem. Quite a few people recommended the PAC roem nis2 instead of the Metra harness. I ordered one and needless to say they were right. Sounds way better than the stock HU now.

The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (09-13-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Atlche
Did you use the metro harness or PAC Roem nis2? I installed the Pioneer avh p4300dvd last week, and I used the metro 70-7551 wiring harness. BIG MISTAKE! The sound quality was horrible, exactly as you described at higher volumes. Searched the forum and found others that experienced the same problem. Quite a few people recommended the PAC roem nis2 instead of the Metra harness. I ordered one and needless to say they were right. Sounds way better than the stock HU now.
When I ordered everything, I actually forgot to buy the harness. So I had to go to local audio store (Audio Express) to get the harness. Im not sure what brand it was. I might have too look into this and buy the Pac harness.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're using the stock bose amp still, that might be the problem. If you did everything the way that I assumed you did from your description, your headunit is sending an amplified signal to the bose amp to get amplified again to the speakers. Why do you have to use the bose amp?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by magic5g
If you're using the stock bose amp still, that might be the problem. If you did everything the way that I assumed you did from your description, your headunit is sending an amplified signal to the bose amp to get amplified again to the speakers. Why do you have to use the bose amp?
I don't have to use the Bose amp, I just didn't want to buy another amp. I was fine with how it sounded before the Bose HU went out, so I figured it would sound the same.

If I change the amp, what would you recommend?
I might as well install a sub too.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlche
I've seen this exact story so many times... that is, of course, the reason that my shopping list explicitly says that if you're keeping the Bose amp, you get the PAC ROEM-NIS2.

My real recommendation, of course, is to get rid of the POS Bose amp completely. The easiest replacement would be a 6-channel amp, and re-use the stock speaker wiring (NOT POWER WIRING) to send the signal to the stock speakers. The more flexible but more complicated way is to use a four-channel amp for the front speakers and pick up a separate mono-channel or 2-channel amp to power the rear woofer/6x9's.

If you were happy with the sound quality with Bose, you'll probably be fine with something like this for an easy install:
JL XD600/6 JL XD600/6
or this:
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-5584-a64...amplifier.aspx

eggyhustles is probably going to chime in here in a bit with a few more recommendations better than mine though. He's got a lot more more experience with different brands so I'll takes his recommendations for most audio components over my own

Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I've seen this exact story so many times... that is, of course, the reason that my shopping list explicitly says that if you're keeping the Bose amp, you get the PAC ROEM-NIS2.

My real recommendation, of course, is to get rid of the POS Bose amp completely. The easiest replacement would be a 6-channel amp, and re-use the stock speaker wiring (NOT POWER WIRING) to send the signal to the stock speakers. The more flexible but more complicated way is to use a four-channel amp for the front speakers and pick up a separate mono-channel or 2-channel amp to power the rear woofer/6x9's.

If you were happy with the sound quality with Bose, you'll probably be fine with something like this for an easy install:
JL XD600/6
or this:

eggyhustles is probably going to chime in here in a bit with a few more recommendations better than mine though. He's got a lot more more experience with different brands so I'll takes his recommendations for most audio components over my own
Thanks Wrathernaut.
Im going to have a to pick up a 6 channel amp soon and see how sounds.

I going to add a sub as well, probably just a 10.
I have to buy a separate mono amp for the sub?
Any recommendations on the sub and amp?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:08 AM

JL XD600/6
or this:

Why do you recommend using the stock wiring and not "power wiring" (if that's using a lower gauge wire)? I ask because I'm using stock and am wondering if I'm using my speakers/amp to the full potential with 75w rms.
Originally Posted by Javi04
Thanks Wrathernaut.
Im going to have a to pick up a 6 channel amp soon and see how sounds.

I going to add a sub as well, probably just a 10.
I have to buy a separate mono amp for the sub?
Any recommendations on the sub and amp?
What's your budget? You going for sound quality or pure shake your hair SPL bass? Trunk space matter?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
There's an option in the settings it's called Loudness or something, change it to Mid.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Why do you recommend using the stock wiring and not "power wiring" (if that's using a lower gauge wire)? I ask because I'm using stock and am wondering if I'm using my speakers/amp to the full potential with 75w rms.

What's your budget? You going for sound quality or pure shake your hair SPL bass? Trunk space matter?
I'm going for more sound quality. I'm not trying to have a crazy system, that shakes my whole car.
I want keep as much truck space as I can.
Something like this is what I looking to do.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...g35-coupe.html

Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by fullvietFX
There's an option in the settings it's called Loudness or something, change it to Mid.
I did change that when I first installed the HU. It helped a little but it still doesn't sound right.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM
budget? Care if you buy used/new?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
The stock wires for speakers are just fine, no need to go to the effort of running new wire.

The power wires though, are dreadfully insufficient for any amp over 50w RMS. If you tried to use the power wire for your amp, you'd blow the fuse almost instantly, and if you put a large enough fuse in so that it doesn't blow, you'd risk starting a fire from the wiring overheating. You need to run your own power wire directly to the battery and your own ground to the chassis to be safe.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 PM
budget? Care if you buy used/new?
Don't have a budget.
I just want somthing that is going to sound good, but Im not going to be cheap about it either.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 PM
The stock wires for speakers are just fine, no need to go to the effort of running new wire.

The power wires though, are dreadfully insufficient for any amp over 50w RMS. If you tried to use the power wire for your amp, you'd blow the fuse almost instantly, and if you put a large enough fuse in so that it doesn't blow, you'd risk starting a fire from the wiring overheating. You need to run your own power wire directly to the battery and your own ground to the chassis to be safe.
Oh that's what you meant by power/battery wire. Yeah I have a 0 ga. running to a distro block in trunk to 4ga and 8ga for mono/4-channel amps.

Originally Posted by Javi04
Don't have a budget.
I just want somthing that is going to sound good, but Im not going to be cheap about it either.
I would look into a single amp that can put out 5 channels(4 speakers 1 sub) like the JL XD700/5
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle

Alpine's pdx series also have a 5 channel and are pretty much the same.

Or you can have one amp for 4 speakers and one amp for subs to have more control and power. Bass is addicting and I went from a 600w amp to a 1,000w amp. There is no way you can get this much power for a sub in a 5 channel amp.

The main brands I played around with are: Kicker, alpine, JL, image dynamics, pioneer, boston, and if you're not really an audiophile, then most of the brands are similar and it's really recommend anything if you don't have any price range or guide lines to go by.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic-X930BT and Stock Speakers